Park Chu-young

A forum for discussion of individual players.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Park Chu-young

Postby SteveW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 am

eujin wrote:
Sampo wrote:The baseball player Choo Shin-soo got an exemption for playing in the Asian Games. :smt083

but only because they did end up winning it

In many ways Park is quite lucky. He still gets to spend the majority of his conscript time practicing his profession which isn't true of most people. He gets to defer his service until age 28, whereas most people don't unless they stay in school, in which case they still have to go around age 24. He's just "unlucky" that things have been going well for him so his deferment hasn't helped him or his team. If you give him an exemption, then there's a lot of other people who'd want an exemption too, for being famous jingle writers, TIME magazine's most influential person in the world, posterboys of the Korean wave, or a millionaire internet start-up CEO . He earns a lot of money and is very famous, but the law applies equally to him as anyone else, as of recently even if you're not 100% ethnically Korean. :shock: (mockshock)

Not sure why the law needs to apply equally to everyone mind you. You can get immigration visas if you have enough money or contribute enough to the economy no reason why you couldn't exempt people from national service. In fact they already do, it's just a very narrow band of exemptions.

Could easily enough be resolved by saying professional athletes can defer their service till 35 or 40 even.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:50 am

SteveW wrote:Could easily enough be resolved by saying professional athletes can defer their service till 35 or 40 even.

Yes, but you'd have to include professional models, professional singers and presumably professional actors in that as well. Not many scientists doing their best work past the age of 35 either. Entrepreneurs, architects and designers might also feel that their best years are when they're young and dynamic. Instead of fit, eager kids you'd end up filling your trenches with a lot of bald geezers with burnout and backache.

There's something about exempting people from national service because they "have enough money" that I find very distasteful, as distasteful as if people were getting out of national service by bribing someone to hire them as a professional athlete. The thing about winning some international tournament is, there's always someone who's captain of the KNT and there's always someone who's Olympic champion in 400m freestyle. But the Olympic champion is not always Korean.

One of the daft things they used to do in France before they scrapped conscription was allow people to work for a French company overseas instead of military service. When I was in London there were quite a few young Frenchmen working for French banks in the City and making a mint while "serving" their country.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:42 am

eujin wrote:
SteveW wrote:Could easily enough be resolved by saying professional athletes can defer their service till 35 or 40 even.

Yes, but you'd have to include professional models, professional singers and presumably professional actors in that as well. Not many scientists doing their best work past the age of 35 either. Entrepreneurs, architects and designers might also feel that their best years are when they're young and dynamic. Instead of fit, eager kids you'd end up filling your trenches with a lot of bald geezers with burnout and backache.

There's something about exempting people from national service because they "have enough money" that I find very distasteful, as distasteful as if people were getting out of national service by bribing someone to hire them as a professional athlete. The thing about winning some international tournament is, there's always someone who's captain of the KNT and there's always someone who's Olympic champion in 400m freestyle. But the Olympic champion is not always Korean.

One of the daft things they used to do in France before they scrapped conscription was allow people to work for a French company overseas instead of military service. When I was in London there were quite a few young Frenchmen working for French banks in the City and making a mint while "serving" their country.

The reason I specifically said professional athlete though is that you can be pretty sure that these guys will be fitter at 35 than your average punter will be at 25. And no you wouldn't 'have' to include anyone or anything you didn't want to.

The footballers are already special as they get to play football during their National Service. I don't think they have National Service TV shows and fashion shoots for the models and actors (might be a fun idea though!) In any case Korea is hardly short of blokes with expensive haircuts who can wear sunglasses and look moody. EPL-standard footballers who can lead the NT to victory are somewhat more thin on the ground.

The thing about this case with Park is that who is losing out if Korea don't qualify for the World Cup or turn up and are crap because their best players have been playing 2nd division football for the past 2 seasons? The players yes, but also the league, the supporters and the country as a whole. Who benefits if Park pretends to be Action Man for 2 years then goes back to the K-League as a bit part player? Nobody as far as I can see.

I'm not sure how other countries which have national service work the situation but would anyone really object to saying that NT players can do their 2 years after they retire from international football or even that those with say 25 caps are exempt?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 pm

SteveW wrote:I'm not sure how other countries which have national service work the situation but would anyone really object to saying that NT players can do their 2 years after they retire from international football or even that those with say 25 caps are exempt?

I remember back when he was a youngster Del Piero was turning out for Juventus, the Italian U-21's, full national team and the Italian Army team. He was playing five games a week sometimes. Actually the World Military Cup is another thing South Korea have never won, although North Korea won in 2003.

As you well know Steve, you wouldn't "have" to doing anything, you could pass any law you liked if you didn't care how fair or democratic it was.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 pm

eujin wrote:
SteveW wrote:As you well know Steve, you wouldn't "have" to doing anything, you could pass any law you liked if you didn't care how fair or democratic it was.

As I said, who is going to object to the government announcing that sports people who represent their national team a sufficient number of times are exempted from additional national service or have the date extended or any other number of reasonable ways it could be resolved?

Mind you I'd hate to think that people might start to wonder if the arbitrary process whereby roughly half the population have to complete an arbitrary length of national service sometime before an arbitrary deadline unless they meet an arbitrary exemption clause somehow wasn't absolutely fair and democratic. :)

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:12 pm

SteveW wrote:As I said, who is going to object to the government announcing that sports people who represent their national team a sufficient number of times are exempted from additional national service or have the date extended or any other number of reasonable ways it could be resolved?

...why should my son have to go off to Gundae, with his glasses and asthma, when some fancy boy millionaire gets exempted just because he chases a ball around with other grown men, I need my son to help look after his sick mother....blah blah blah....

Found a picture of Cannavaro, Del Vecchio and Del Piero;

Moral: do your service early, you might end up winning the World Cup.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 am

Many players are indeed over-paid twats but they also carry the hopes of millions of people on their shoulders.
The duty that they owe to their country can be performed in a variety of ways at points in time where their very short career
won't be affected (as well as their ability to bring glory to their country) and where it won't be deemed unfair.
Others may have succeeded after performing their duty, but obviously that was despite and not because of the time taken
away from them.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:16 am

Anderlecht plot summer swoop for Arsenal flop
Thursday, March 15, 2012

Arsenal flop Park Chu Young will be offered an escape route out of the club by Anderlecht this summer, according to Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure.

The South Korean forward joined the Gunners following their 8-2 humiliation by Manchester United earlier in the season, but has played just six minutes of Premier League football so far and has made just six appearances in total, scoring once.

Arsene Wenger will listen to offers for the ex-Monaco star, 26, and Anderlecht have registered an interest in him, with a view to making a cut-price summer move.

Kleaguefan
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Kleaguefan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Just saw an article that stated that Park Chu-Young has been able to delay his military service until the year 2022. He'll be able to play football until the age of 38 and then do his military service.

This is great news for him, as he can now pursue his football career in Europe without any setbacks.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Yeah from what I can tell he's been given something like a ten year resident status in Monaco so he can use that to claim 'extended overseas travel' and defer his service until 2022.. think Arsenal now owe Monaco extra money as well :)

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:51 pm

The anser to all of this, obviously, is reunification. :smt109
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:29 am

Apparently Lucas Podolski has been given the number 9 shirt for the new season and Park's been dunted down to 30. If that's not rather a large hint he should start packing his bags then I don't know what is... being punted out on loan by the end of the month is looking more and more likely and frankly his only realistic option for playing time.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am

Holyjoe wrote:Apparently Lucas Podolski has been given the number 9 shirt for the new season and Park's been dunted down to 30. If that's not rather a large hint he should start packing his bags then I don't know what is... being punted out on loan by the end of the month is looking more and more likely and frankly his only realistic option for playing time.

He desperately needs to get out of there, even if he needs to take a large wage cut. he is wasting away.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:10 pm

just because wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Apparently Lucas Podolski has been given the number 9 shirt for the new season and Park's been dunted down to 30. If that's not rather a large hint he should start packing his bags then I don't know what is... being punted out on loan by the end of the month is looking more and more likely and frankly his only realistic option for playing time.

He desperately needs to get out of there, even if he needs to take a large wage cut. he is wasting away.

As long as he doesnt do a Jeong Jo-Guk and come back to Seoul. We dont need another sub-standard Korean striker.

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:24 am

Park Chu-Young is negotiating with several European teams right now. Decision in 10 days and bye bye to Wenger. :smt006

http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn? ... 0000295332

Return to “Players”