Kang Su Il

A forum for discussion of individual players.
Frozz
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Kang Su Il

Postby Frozz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I found out about Kang Su Il on last year's Fifa. They had him as the fastest Korean on the game, by quite a bit, so I checked him out on the internet. Half Korean Half American and former MVP in the reserve league while at Incheon. Was playing at Jeju, before moving to Pohang at the start of the season. Didn't seem to be making much of an impact at Jeju, so the Pohang move was a bit of a surprise.

Haven't really thought too much about him since, but then his name came up on Naver as a key player in Pohang's recent fixture.

Can anybody update me on how he has faired this season? It seems strange that someone can be MVP in the reserve league but never play for the national team at youth level. But saying that, I've never seen him play. Is he talented? Does he have any future at the national/international level?

Thanks

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Kang Su Il

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Frozz wrote:I found out about Kang Su Il on last year's Fifa. They had him as the fastest Korean on the game, by quite a bit, so I checked him out on the internet. Half Korean Half American and former MVP in the reserve league while at Incheon. Was playing at Jeju, before moving to Pohang at the start of the season. Didn't seem to be making much of an impact at Jeju, so the Pohang move was a bit of a surprise.

Haven't really thought too much about him since, but then his name came up on Naver as a key player in Pohang's recent fixture.

Can anybody update me on how he has faired this season? It seems strange that someone can be MVP in the reserve league but never play for the national team at youth level. But saying that, I've never seen him play. Is he talented? Does he have any future at the national/international level?

Thanks

Lots of the best players out of college go straight into the first-team at their K-League clubs. So the fact he was MVP of the Reserve League has kind of a double-meaning: He was the best... out of the players not good enough for the first-team.

That being said, I rate him. Most times I see him play, he is a real danger. Fast, tall (especially for a winger), strong, but lean with long runner's legs. Kind of a poor man's Christiano Ronaldo.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 pm

I certainly think he's had a decent season. He's been one of Pohang's key players and was a good addition to the squad. He's got a few goals this season including a well taken late equaliser against Jeonbuk and a cracking headed goal against Jeonnam that embarassed Kim Byung-ji. A (slightly) younger, faster version of Noh Byung-jun with all the religious Christian stuff too.

Hard to see him breaking through at the international level, especially with the likes of Son Heung-min ahead of him and he's entering the "mature" years of his career, but he's definitely holding down his spot in one of the better teams in the K-League.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:22 am

Kang Soo-il’s drugs ban ruins inspirational tale for mixed-race Koreans (The Guardian)

Claiming that you have failed a drug test because of the application of moustache-growing cream is sure to amuse and there are plenty of internet memes of Kang Soo-il with facial hair that would put Dick Dastardly to shame. But it really wasn’t that funny and ended a football dream that meant more than most. Few players had gone through such hardships to appear for their national team but just hours before it was actually, finally, going to happen for the South Korean, the negative news of the positive test result came through...

More here.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 am

Arrested for drink driving after crashing whilst under the influence... all unravelling for him.

South Korean striker Kang charged after traffic accident
August 24, 2015

South Korean striker Kang Soo-il, currently serving a doping ban, has been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, local police told Reuters on Monday.

The Jeju United forward was involved in a crash with a taxi in the early hours of Monday morning and was arrested, an official at the Uijeongbu Police Station said.

The official said Kang and his friend who was also in the car will face further investigation.

Earlier this month, Kang received a six-month ban from the Korea Football Association (KFA) after testing positive for the anabolic steroid methyltestosterone. Kang blamed the failed test on a cream he used that helps grow a moustache.

The 28-year-old was set to win his first cap for the national team before news of the failed test in June having impressed with five goals in the opening weeks of the K-League campaign.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 am

i was wondering what was all over my facebook feed.

things really are falling apart from him. his dream was to get a national team cap, then help other similar to him; mixed race koreans. It didn't say how much he had to drink, and korean laws are pretty strict, like .2 and .5 for different violations i believe. if that is the case, it literally could have been a beer or a bottle of soju then a drive. .8 back in NC

or maybe he was plastered drunk...
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Alex43 wrote:i was wondering what was all over my facebook feed.

things really are falling apart from him. his dream was to get a national team cap, then help other similar to him; mixed race koreans. It didn't say how much he had to drink, and korean laws are pretty strict, like .2 and .5 for different violations i believe. if that is the case, it literally could have been a beer or a bottle of soju then a drive. .8 back in NC

Do you mean 0.08? Anyway he was recorded at 0.11 which qualifies him for an automatic driving ban

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:57 pm

daeguowl wrote:
Alex43 wrote:i was wondering what was all over my facebook feed.

Do you mean 0.08? Anyway he was recorded at 0.11 which qualifies him for an automatic driving ban

indeed i meant 0.02, 0.05 and 0.08... 0.11...

heard he is leaving jeju... his decision?
well well well

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:38 pm

No he was released. He's on the restricted list. So Jeju need to give permission if he wants to play for another Korean team.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:53 pm

SteveW wrote:No he was released. He's on the restricted list. So Jeju need to give permission if he wants to play for another Korean team.

Was his ban in months or games? And if in games does this mean they're not being chalked off?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:59 pm

It was 15 games and he won't be getting them counted if he's not registered with Jeju any more. I did read somewhere that he might be allowed to come back early though.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “Players”