After the K-League...

A forum for discussion of individual players.
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Re: After the K-League...

Postby Alex43 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Bosnar joined Central Coast Mariners
well well well

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Big feature on Jamie Cureton on the BBC website, though it pretty much glosses over his time in Korea so no fun stories of those six months of his career. Link is here if anyone's interested with the only mention of Korea below:

Cureton went on to play for Reading, Pusan Icons in South Korea, QPR, Swindon, Colchester, Norwich for a second time, Barnsley, Shrewsbury, Leyton Orient and had two spells at Exeter.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu May 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Cureton on the look out for a new club... hope the Ferrets take note, he'd be a great signing for their debut season in the K2:

Jamie Cureton: Cheltenham Town release veteran striker
7 May 2014

Cheltenham Town have released veteran striker Jamie Cureton.

The 38-year-old signed for the Robins last summer on a one-year contract, following his release from League Two rivals Exeter.

Cureton made 24 starts and 12 substitute appearances for Cheltenham, scoring 11 goals.

The former Norwich and Bristol Rovers forward has completed 20 seasons in the Football League and has played for 12 different clubs.

"I want to freshen it up and I want a younger squad," manager Mark Yates told the club website.

"Jamie has scored 11 goals and could have had a few more for us but I just want to go in a slightly different direction.

"I've felt at times that I have tried to accommodate two strikers when perhaps it hasn't suited the rest of the team."

Yates added: "He has been a model pro for us in terms of his attitude because he is first in at the training ground and looks after himself.

Cureton has made 750 appearances during his career and scored 258 goals in all competitions.

Cheltenham confirmed their retained list on Tuesday but Cureton's meeting with manager Mark Yates was delayed as the player was on a coaching course.

Sido Jombati, Ashley Vincent, Ed Williams and Sam Deering have also been released by the club.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 am

At the risk of this turning into the Jamie Cureton Thread, there's interest in him from Conference Premier side Torquay United so he may still be able to prolong his playing career:

Chris Hargreaves confirms Torquay's interest in Jamie Cureton
June 13 2014

Manager Chris Hargreaves has confirmed that he is still talking to veteran striker Jamie Cureton as he continues his efforts to rebuild Torquay United’s squad for a tilt at promotion from the Conference Premier next season.

But the Gulls’ boss, who has just signed former Port Vale and Mansfield winger Louis Briscoe on a two-year deal, told a packed Fans’ Forum on Wednesday evening that 258-goal marksman Cureton, who lists Westcountry rivals Bristol Rovers, Exeter City and Cheltenham Town among his many previous clubs, remains on his summer transfer shortlist.

Cureton, who is keen to keep playing at 38, has not committed himself to a move since being released by Cheltenham last month, but Hargreaves said: “If a deal can be done, it will be done.”

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:15 pm

Dzenan Radoncic has left J1 side Omiya Ardija to join J2 club Oita Trinita. That's his third Japanese club in twelve months and fourth in total, he became a bit of a waste of space pretty much as soon as he joined Suwon and hasn't done much of note since but he's someone Incheon United could have looked at taking a punt on again.

Meanwhile, if everyone's on the edge of their seats for Jamie Cureton updates, there's this from four days ago:

Meanwhile, Torquay manager Chris Hargreaves says he is to have talks with veteran striker Jamie Cureton over a possible move to Plainmoor on Friday.

The 38-year-old former Exeter, Reading, Bristol Rovers and Norwich forward is a free agent after being released by Cheltenham Town in May.

"If it's right for this football club then it will be great, if not then we wish each other all the best," Hargreaves said of Cureton, who has scored 258 goals in his 21-year career.

"If it works for both parties it's something we'd look to maybe do.

"But myself and Jamie have both been in the game for a long time and it's got to work for both of us.

"He's a goalscorer and a winner and that's two things that are very difficult to get in football."

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Dzenan Radoncic has left J1 side Omiya Ardija to join J2 club Oita Trinita. That's his third Japanese club in twelve months and fourth in total, he became a bit of a waste of space pretty much as soon as he joined Suwon and hasn't done much of note since but he's someone Incheon United could have looked at taking a punt on again.

Meanwhile, if everyone's on the edge of their seats for Jamie Cureton updates, there's this from four days ago:

Meanwhile, Torquay manager Chris Hargreaves says he is to have talks with veteran striker Jamie Cureton over a possible move to Plainmoor on Friday.

The 38-year-old former Exeter, Reading, Bristol Rovers and Norwich forward is a free agent after being released by Cheltenham Town in May.

"If it's right for this football club then it will be great, if not then we wish each other all the best," Hargreaves said of Cureton, who has scored 258 goals in his 21-year career.

"If it works for both parties it's something we'd look to maybe do.

"But myself and Jamie have both been in the game for a long time and it's got to work for both of us.

"He's a goalscorer and a winner and that's two things that are very difficult to get in football."

Hmm...you'd think a K-League team would have taken a chance on Radoncici before having to drop down to J2. Pretty much a 1/3 scoring record in the K-League which is alright. Another one to add to the Ferrets shopping list.

Maybe stick Curo in there too but that's probably pushing it.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Cureton's still in the Football League after agreeing a deal to sign for Dagenham & Redbridge:

Jamie Cureton: Dagenham & Redbridge sign veteran striker
24 July 2014

League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge have signed experienced striker Jamie Cureton on a free transfer.

The 38-year-old, who scored 11 goals in 36 appearances for Cheltenham last season, has agreed a one-year deal with the Daggers.

Cureton made his senior debut for Norwich in November 1994 and has scored 258 goals in 750 career appearances during his time in England.

Dagenham become the 14th club of his 20-year professional career.

Cureton has spent the vast majority of his playing days in England but had a brief spell in South Korea with Pusan Icons in 2003-04.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 am

Holyjoe wrote:Cureton's still in the Football League after agreeing a deal to sign for Dagenham & Redbridge:

Jamie Cureton: Dagenham & Redbridge sign veteran striker
24 July 2014

League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge have signed experienced striker Jamie Cureton on a free transfer.

The 38-year-old, who scored 11 goals in 36 appearances for Cheltenham last season, has agreed a one-year deal with the Daggers.

Cureton made his senior debut for Norwich in November 1994 and has scored 258 goals in 750 career appearances during his time in England.

Dagenham become the 14th club of his 20-year professional career.

Cureton has spent the vast majority of his playing days in England but had a brief spell in South Korea with Pusan Icons in 2003-04.

He really deserves his own thread!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Also worth to mention that he played for Bundesliga and Turkish league, scoring in Uefa Champions League games.

He looks fitter now than he was in Suwon.
Blue is the color!

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:39 am

Dejan Damjanovic scored a brace (2-0) vs Shanghai East Asia.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Cureton was a pundit on the BBC's coverage of Norwich v Wolves...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 pm

As you say, I probably should go through this thread and separate out all the Curo posts to give him his own thread. This, from a Guardian interview earlier in the week:

In a quirky career, the time Cureton left Reading on a free in 2003 and spent six months playing for Busan IPark in South Korea stands out.

“It’s a shame it didn’t work out because I really enjoyed the place,” he says. “The training facilities and the set-up were great. It was probably just the timing of when I went. I was too young. I’d just had three good years at Reading and it’s probably the one decision where I should have stayed at a club.

“Off the field I had just split up with my ex and we had two children. I was on a Bosman and weighing up what I wanted to do when my agent gave me a call and this came up. I had that and DC United in America. At the time no one, especially from England, had really gone out to those countries.

“I had three or four days at both clubs. Both contracts were on the table. I came home and had a think about it and had offers to stay at Reading and in England, but because of what had happened with my family I didn’t really think about it and just thought ‘let’s get away’ and chose South Korea. It was great. But I was there on my own and missing my two kids. The timing was very bad. When I came home when the season ended at Christmas, I told my agent I didn’t think I could handle going back and needed to get out of my contract. It was just too much. If I had settled down and maybe been in my thirties, it would have been perfect but it was bad timing.”

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:33 pm

... although it's funny how quotes can be interpreted. He sounded pretty positive about his time at Busan there, whereas this was the Independent's take on his comments about his spell in Korea:

A succession of clubs followed, including one in South Korea, (“another big mistake”) but he retains his enthusiasm.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Holyjoe wrote:I don't quite know what "Turnaround Management" is, but ex-Busan manager Andy Egli currently provides it.

Egli's name has reappeared in connection with Korean football, this time of the Northern variety:

North Koreans banking on Swiss inspiration
(FIFA.com) 04 Aug 2014

Former Switzerland, Grasshoppers and Borussia Dortmund defender Andre Egli is, at first sight, an unlikely source of inspiration for the Korea DPR side about to take part in the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Canada 2014 and their coach Hwang Yong-Bong.

Yet, as the Korea DPR boss explained to FIFA.com, the ex-Nati man, who went into coaching himself and once took charge of Busan Ipark in neighbouring Korea Republic, made quite an impression on him in a past encounter. So much so, in fact, that it has ultimately shaped the North Koreans’ whole approach to the upcoming tournament.

“I remember taking part in a training seminar for coaches quite a while ago in Pyongyang, and Andy Egli was one of the speakers,” said Hwang, just a couple of days ahead of his side’s opening match at Canada 2014 against Finland. “He taught me a lot of things about the job, about tactics and training players, and much of what I have achieved in my career is down to him.”

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:21 pm

I was half-watching the Portugal-Albania match due it being on TV more than anything else when the commentator mentioned that Sokol Cikalleshi was about to come on as a substitute. Surprised, I hurriedly searched him up, and it's the very same Sokol who spent six months at Incheon, unable to get more than a handful of games. Very nearly scored a goal on a solo counter run too.

From riding the bench at Incheon to coming on a substitute to help defeat Portugal. Strange things.

Return to “Players”