Park to Man U

A forum for discussion of individual players.
just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: Park to Man U

Postby just because » Sun May 27, 2012 10:23 am

Another player (along with Lee Chung-Young) who looks likely to be in Turkey before the start of the new season is Park. Man U are trying to sell him to raise money to bring in Kagawa (a Japanese player for a Korean...the cooky nationalists would have a field day) and see him as not really part of the team anymore. Galatasaray looks a likely destination.

The Turkish club have made United aware of their interest in the South Korean midfielder, who has become surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.

The Premier League giants are prepared to off-load Park this summer in order to make space on their wage bill for fresh blood, with Borussia Dortmund’s Shinji Kagawa among their leading targets.

The midfielder, 31, spent most of the season on the fringes of the United squad, starting just 10 of the team’s 38 league matches.

Given his age and the fact he has only a year remaining on his contract, United value the player at around the £3 million mark.

However, Galatasaray, who are looking to consolidate after winning their first league title in four years, have been made aware that Park’s current package is worth £65,000-a-week.

Speaking in Thailand this week, the Korean explained that talks with the Turkish club are yet to reach a formal stage.

“I haven't received an official offer," He said. "It is always a good thing for a player to be wanted by a team, though.

"I know I can't stay in the team just because I want to, but I still harbour hopes of retiring with Manchester United."

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 pm

Hmm interesting. I suppose Galatasaray, as one of the bigger clubs in Turkey, are likely to be a bit more financially stable than some of the smaller sides but I've read stories of quite a few players going to Turkey with promises of bumper contracts, signing fees and the like and then ditching their club several months later because the money didn't materialise. Shin Young-rok's career in Turkey went that way, think he hadn't been paid for three or four months before returning to Suwon.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Mon May 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Galatasaray is capable of paying Park's transfer money and wages. They become champion this year and they are qualified to the group stages of UEFA CL. So, they need someone with Champions League experience and Park fits there and gets decent game time as well. I hope Park goes there.

If Man Utd sell Park and sign Kagawa, it will be interesting to see all these Korean Man Utd fans. :)
Blue is the color!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:04 am

Manure eventually signed Kagawa. I didn't see him playing much in Bundesliga, but i was impressed with his performance against Korea last year when Japan beat Korea by 3-0.
Blue is the color!

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:57 am

If Man Utd sell Park and sign Kagawa, it will be interesting to see all these Korean Man Utd fans.

I think they will act very predictably, almost all of them will stop following Man Utd.
Thus isn't a criticism of Koreans but mostly, they don't follow teams but players. Once they stop playing for a team all support for that team stops. Just a different way of supporting football I suppose.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm

just because wrote:
If Man Utd sell Park and sign Kagawa, it will be interesting to see all these Korean Man Utd fans.

I think they will act very predictably, almost all of them will stop following Man Utd.
Thus isn't a criticism of Koreans but mostly, they don't follow teams but players. Once they stop playing for a team all support for that team stops. Just a different way of supporting football I suppose.

In a lot of ways "support" isn't quite the right word. 'Follow' is the better word, which you also use.

People watch Man U games to see how Park goes (if he's playing) and I imagine a lot of people would change chanells if he isn't playing. And even when they are watching they are looking out for when he gets the ball to see what he does.
I'm the same with Blackburn at times and Ryan Nelson. Well when he was there anyway. Couldn't care less about Blackburn but if he did something good then it's of slight interest vs none. Same now that he's at Spurs.

When Sean Marks was in the NBA I paid more attention to the teams he was in (Raptors, Heat, Spurs) merely to see if he was getting on the court and what he was doing (not usually much aside from polishing the bench with his arse).
Anyang Fo' Life

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Or maybe just Manure keep him as Asiana already paid enough for Kumho tires.
And plus for the Nike's brand image in Korea.
Blue is the color!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:04 am

Looks like Park is off to Queens Park Rangers for £5m... BBC Sport twitter feed is saying a deal has been agreed:

Queens Park Rangers agree deal to sign Park Ji-sung from Man Utd for a fee in the region of £5m, via @BenSmithBBC ‪#bbcfootball‬ ‪#mufc

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:02 pm

£5 MILLION :shock: :shock:

He's past it, his legs have gone. Outrageous waste of money IMO.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 pm

QPR agree deal to sign Man Utd midfielder Park Ji-sung
6 July 2012

Queens Park Rangers have agreed a deal to sign midfielder Park Ji-sung from Manchester United.

The agreement, which could potentially be worth £5m, will see QPR pay an initial transfer fee of £2m for the 31-year-old.

The South Korea international has made 133 Premier League appearances for United since joining the club from PSV Eindhoven in 2005, scoring 19 goals.

He won four Premier League titles and the Champions League while at United.

After beginning his professional career with Japanese side Kyoto Purple Sanga, Park impressed during his nation's run to the World Cup semi-finals in 2002, when they were co-hosts.

Such performances saw him follow national team coach Guus Hiddink to PSV Eindhoven, where he played for three years before making a £4m move to Old Trafford, becoming a reliable wide option for boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:08 am

Evergreen wrote:£5 MILLION :shock: :shock:

He's past it, his legs have gone. Outrageous waste of money IMO.

Only 2 million to start but if QPR stay up another 2.5 and another 0.5 of add-ons. Not a bad deal.

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Well there goes my precious teenage years. :smt006

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

It just occurred to me that Ryan Nelsen and Park Ji Sung will be playing on the same team next season. NZers in Korea might get to see a bit of Nelsen on the telly.

Oh, and Joey Barton :?
Anyang Fo' Life

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Noticed Park has been given an ambassadorial role for Man Utd - presumably he'll be schmoozing around Korea and getting even more coverage of the EPL at the expense of the K-League.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 am

It was interesting reading the first post on this thread. Also, who are those people posting? :shock:
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Return to “Players”