Ki Sung-yong

A forum for discussion of individual players.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Ki Sung-yong

Postby SteveW » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Suwonesque wrote:He has given 48 hours to respond to Swans request.

Looks to be fairly certain he's going according to Neil Lennon's comments today. Just waiting to clinch a deal either with Swansea or elsewhere.

Wonder if Celtic will be on the lookout for another Korean or whether they look elsewhere? Don't think they have any Asian players on the books now unless I missed something.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:05 am

Ki has indeed joined Swansea for £6m:

Ki Sung-Yueng completes record move to Swansea City from Celtic
24 August 2012

Swansea City have broken their transfer record to sign Ki Sung-Yeng from Celtic, subject to a work permit and international clearance.

South Korean Ki, 23, had a medical in Swansea on Friday before signing a three-year contract, with the fee to Celtic believed to be around £6m.

"When I look at Swansea I see a club that is growing," said Ki. "The style here is very attractive to me.

"I think I can grow as a player and help the club move forward."

Swansea manager Michael Laudrup says Ki, who made 34 appearances for Celtic last season, will add midfield dynamism to his side.

"He's an important player to have in midfield," said Laudrup.

"We lost Joe Allen [to Liverpool] so it's important, looking at the strength of the squad, to have a dynamic player like him.

"The players we have signed here and the players we will sign are players that can fit into our style.

"He's already played a couple of seasons in British football and that's very important. The players who have come in from abroad have had a great start but I think experience of this kind of football is important as well."

Ki won a bronze medal with South Korea at the 2012 London Olympics, and scored a penalty in their quarter-final win over Great Britain in Cardiff.

His move to Swansea almost doubles the club record fee of £3.5m paid for Danny Graham a year ago, and he is Laudrup's seventh signing since taking over in June.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:02 pm

This popped up on my bleacher report, for whatever reason.

Swans midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng has today signed a new four-year contract that will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until 2018.
The South Korean international had a year left on his old deal after arriving from Celtic for £5.5m back in 2012.
Despite making 38 appearances in his first season in SA1 – which included a Capital One Cup win at Wembley – Ki was loaned out to Sunderland for the 2013-14 campaign.

After impressing on Wearside, the 25-year-old returned to south west Wales and hit the ground running with his first goal for the club in the Swans’ opening-day victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford. And he revealed his delight at penning a new deal at the Liberty Stadium after a summer of speculation.

Not exactly one of the main runway models of the league, but he certainly does not look like he ran full speed into the goal post a few times.

Orientation day at Somewhere-dong Middle School..."You are pretty, like a girl. Go join the K-Pop club over there. You, you look fine. Put on some spectacles and go do some math or someting. You...erm...ahh..can you kick this ball for me?"
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Return to “Players”