Ahn Jung-hwan

A forum for discussion of individual players.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Ahn Jung-hwan

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 pm

After all his efforts to get a contract in the US, Australia, Pompeii, Atlantis and latterly the Moon, he's finally decided to bite the bullet and actually join a team - Chinese side Dalian Shide (or whatever name they've decided to go with this week). He may even make his Dalian debut on March 23rd against Tianjin Teda.

Holyjoe

Re: Ahn Jung-hwan

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Australia may still be on:

Czech it out: Sydney's new coach to look abroad after disappointing year

TWO foreign former internationals, a seasoned English professional and perhaps Socceroos defender Chris Coyne are on Sydney FC's radar as new coach Vitezslav Lavicka aims to make his debut season in the A-League a success.

The other two foreigners believed to be moving up the list of possible recruits are former South Korean international Ahn Jung-hwan and former English premiership defender Andy Todd, currently playing alongside Socceroos winger Mile Sterjovski with Derby County.

Ahn, 33, made world headlines when he scored the winning goal for Guus Hiddink's South Korean side against Italy in the 2002 World Cup. A lively striker or wide midfielder, Ahn has had a nomadic career - playing in Italy, Germany, France and Japan as well as his homeland, and last month agreed to a short-term deal with Chinese side Dalian Shide.

Ahn has made no secret of his desire to move abroad again - he was linked to a move to the US at the start of the year - and he has a get-out clause with Dalian.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:46 am

Isn't Dalian the most successful side in Chinese club football history? He's really treating them like a right muggins, isn't he!

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:43 pm

Isn't Dalian where a certain Mr. Obinna now plays? What a strikeforce :lol:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:13 am

Must have been a slow news day for Olsen the other day as they actually published this article - FIFA says happy birthday to Ahn Jung-hwan on their website. :shock:

That reminds me, it's almost Goyang KB's birthday... :smt113

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Must have been a slow news day for Olsen the other day as they actually published this article - FIFA says happy birthday to Ahn Jung-hwan on their website. :shock:

That reminds me, it's almost Goyang KB's birthday... :smt113

I was looking at the CSL page for some info on the new season and on top of the page I found link topics of Ahn Jung-hwan with his family.
One of the comments under this photo says that his daughter looks like him. Or maybe it says he looks like his daughter? Doh no, hard language.

You'd think on his wages he could afford a better place to live, though.

Sorry, slow news day over here as well.

Sampo
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Sampo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:27 pm

I love the "screw you mom and dad! I'm 15 and I'm growing a mustache!" mustache he's got going there.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:58 pm

It think it says that his daughter is a better footballer than him. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:47 pm

Could Ahn’s Cup dream come true?
February 04, 2010

QINMING, China - As manager Huh Jung-moo comes close to finalizing his 23-man roster for the national football team, Ahn Jung-hwan’s name is still in the running. Huh has yet to find a reliable scorer, and the veteran forward will likely battle Lee Dong-gook for one of the final spots on the squad.

Ahn has been in winter training camp with the Dalian Shide Football Club of the Chinese Super League since Jan. 3. In an exclusive interview with the JoongAng Ilbo, he said, “It’s every football player’s dream to compete in the World Cup [but] there’s nothing I can do at this point other than train hard and try my best.”

Best remembered for scoring the golden goal against Italy in the 2002 World Cup round of 16 matchup, Ahn is currently being evaluated by the national team coaching staff.

Assistant coach Jung Hae-sung is set to arrive in Qinming to watch the friendly match between Dalian Shide and Gangwon FC today.

Q. How is your physical condition at this point? Are you in good shape?

A. China didn’t qualify for the 2010 World Cup, so the Chinese Super League season is set to start at the end of March. I’m in the process of getting in game shape with the season opener in mind.

It looks highly likely that you will be called into play in the March 3 friendly match against Cote d’Ivoire.

I haven’t thought that far ahead. It will be an honor if I get the call. If I do get selected, I would be representing Korea. I will give it my best.

Huh recently said he’ll keep a close eye on you and Lee Chun-soo.

I don’t know exactly what he’s thinking, but it feels like I’m being included among the players who are needed on the national team and that feels good.

It looks like you have a strong desire to compete in the World Cup.

It’s every football player’s dream to compete in the World Cup. However, since the national team has done well without me in the lineup, I hadn’t given the possibility much thought.

There are many players who are more skilled than I. There’s nothing I can do at this point other than train hard and try my best to play the game to the best of my ability.

Many of the Europe-based players are doing well these days.

I didn’t get a chance to watch the game but I did read about their performances on the Internet. I’m proud of them. They’re playing a big role in the development of Korean football. It will make it easier for others to make the jump to Europe in the future.

You have one year remaining in your contract with the Dalian Shide. You must be pondering your options for next season.

As an athlete nearing the end of his career, it feels good just to be training and playing the game on a daily basis. It helps to focus on the moment and makes the game all the more enjoyable.

I am currently torn between retirement and the challenge of playing in another challenge.

Is a return to the K-League a possibility?

I can’t say for sure, but as of now, I’m not really interested in going back to the K-League. But if I were to make a return to Korea, I would like to sign with the Suwon Bluewings.

I fondly recall the avid Suwon supporters and the love they showed in my previous stint with the club.

It would be nice to pay back their support.

Player/manager at Suwon if/when Cha goes? :)

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm

I sometimes wonder if I'm not too hard on poor ol' Haircare. I know someone who had a lot of contact with the players on the national team between 2001 and 2003 and according to her Ahn was among the nicer guys on the team, though maybe suffering from depression or something. She said she felt that there were days when it looked like he didn't want to talk to anyone and looked down.

However, once you approached him to talked to him he would be polite and act friendly.

Apparently, the real prick on the team at the time was Song Chong-Gug. One incident involved him blowing his top off at a hotel cleaner who couldn't find his watch (whose fault was that?). He snapped at her in front of other people telling her it was worth more than she will ever make in her life.

mustoe02
National League champion
National League champion

Postby mustoe02 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:59 am

It's been said before, a lot of the younger players from when Korea won the World Cup in 2002 (well, if you ask a Korean...) have had underwhelming careers and become dickheads as a result.

Ahn Jung-Hwan may be a friendly, lovely, (seemingly bi-polar) chap, but he was shit at Suwon, then at Busan after that, and tried to take on a girl in the stands during a reserve game. If Korea need to resort to Ahn then it would show a massive lack of strength in depth with Korean strikers.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:03 am

I mostly agree with that and if Ahn gets selected over Lee Dong-gook then one will have to conclude that there is no justice in this world.

jongseungki14
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby jongseungki14 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 am

i think they are giving Ahn a look more because of his contributions the previous WC not based on his form or merit. there are better strikers out there but he seems to get special treatment because of his past form and goals at the WC. i personally think he is past his prime and we should bring in players like Shin Yeong Rok.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:23 am

jongseungki14 wrote:i think they are giving Ahn a look more because of his contributions the previous WC not based on his form or merit. there are better strikers out there but he seems to get special treatment because of his past form and goals at the WC.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Ahn is the leading Asian goal-scorer at WC finals but he is certainly past it now. One way they could justify his inclusion would be for the "experience" he would bring to the squad, and not necessarily as a playing member but the dressing room influence on the younger players.

However, as we were saying before, he may not necessarily be the best role-model under pressure - or at least, there are probably better suited 2002 & 2006 veterans for that role.

Ironically, it might be the lack of the "big time" experience that will count against Lee Dong-gook.

Speaking of 2002 heros, wonder what will happen to Hiddink now.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Ahn got himself involved in another daft wee scuffle during a practice match with Dalian, though at least this time he wasn't running after middle school girls who called him some naughty games. He got booted up in the air during the match, had a fight with the bloke who did it and the referee, and then stormed off to smash a hole through the dugout.

Return to “Players”