Quite the comedown for Ahn...

A forum for discussion of individual players.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Quite the comedown for Ahn...

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:30 am

Perhaps the pressure of not playing for the Suwon first team is getting to him... the clip below is of him jumping up into the stands during a recent Suwon-FC Seoul reserve team match to have a go at some FC Seoul fans.

http://flvs.daum.net/flvPlayer.swf?vid=nElZ6jdVpfE$

He got a red card for his troubles... oops.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 am

Farmer Ahn is a secondary unit, apparently... :)

Football Star Fined for Confronting Fan

By Kim Tong-hyung
Staff Reporter

Ahn Jung-hwan, one of the country's most popular football players, was slapped with a 10 million won ($10,700) fine by the K-League for jumping into the seats to confront hecklers at a match in Seoul Monday.

The 31-year-old striker, currently playing for the farm team of Suwon Samsung, got his marching orders in a match against the secondary unit of FC Seoul after he left the pitch near the end of the first half in an angered pursuit of a batch of fans who were calling him names throughout the game.

Ahn, restrained by others in the stands, exchanged some heated words with his criticizers before returning to the field where he was greeted with a red card. Under league rules, Ahn, who publicly apologized for his actions Wednesday, could have faced up to an eight-game suspension.

Ahn's penalty is the heaviest fine ever issued by the K-League to a player.

``The league has made it clear that we would not tolerate Ahn's actions and had to set a standard. We decided against him missing games because he managed to control his actions in the stands and did not do anything excessive,'' said Namkung Yong, who heads the K-League's disciplinary committee.

Ahn became a national hero for his golden goal against Italy in the 2002 World Cup that helped Korea to the semifinals. He also scored the winner in last year's World Cup match against Togo to give Korea its only win of the tournament.

However, Ahn's effectiveness on the pitch has been diminishing sharply over the years, as he failed to net a single regular season goal with Suwon before his recent demotion to the farm team.

Time to head back to Japan I would think.

yimmy
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby yimmy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Some of the stuff that was being said was downright awful. Having said that, I wish something more entertaining would have happened, like an Eric Cantona kind of thing ;)

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:14 pm

yimmy wrote:Some of the stuff that was being said was downright awful. Having said that, I wish something more entertaining would have happened, like an Eric Cantona kind of thing ;)

What was being said?

I'm sure worse is said every week in leagues all over the world to be honest.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

yimmy

Postby yimmy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:54 am

SteveW wrote:
yimmy wrote:Some of the stuff that was being said was downright awful. Having said that, I wish something more entertaining would have happened, like an Eric Cantona kind of thing ;)

What was being said?

I'm sure worse is said every week in leagues all over the world to be honest.

Pretty nasty stuff regarding his family. I can't read Korean well enough to understand the quotes but my wife told me that the fans were saying things about his daughter not looking like him b/c his wife is such a slut (so his wife must have slept with someone else) and asking him to share his hot wife with them. He told the ref and someone else about it but nothing was done. Eventually he ran into the stands and got sent off for his troubles. The video that Holyjoe posted doesn't contain the nastier comments that were allegedly hurled at him

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Whilst I think that you need thick skin when you are a professional athlete I also think that fans need to show a modicum of respect as well.

I'm not quite sure what a player can do in this instance but I don't think "ignore it and put up with it for your whole career is the way to go either".

My only idea is that the club goes and tells those fans to tone it down and if they don't they ban the fuckers.

There's a difference between heckling a player for their on field exploits and abusing a players family.

You can't really get away with either on the street so why should we make an exception for a stadium where the fans feel some kind of protection from getting a hiding by the fence round the field and all officials and surrounding folk turning a blind eye and saying "it's just a joke". I doubt it was just a joke to Ahn or to the guys saying it.
Anyang Fo' Life

Return to “Players”