Asian U-19 Championship

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: Asian U-19 Championship

Postby nzfooty » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:52 pm

weka wrote:Qatar beating North Korea (defending champs) 1-3 is saying a lot. Not to mention goung undefeated and most points. Whoa.

North Korea were eliminated in the group stages in the last edition... with a different set of players.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 am

So someone told me that Korea's early elimination means that they have failed to qualify for the U-20 World Cup that they're hosting next year. D'oh!

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:18 am

daeguowl wrote:So someone told me that Korea's early elimination means that they have failed to qualify for the U-20 World Cup that they're hosting next year. D'oh!

Not unless they're planning to annex New Zealand first, as that is where next year's U-20 World Cup is scheduled to be held.

Fortunately, in 2017, they qualify automatically as hosts, just like most FIFA tournaments. FIFA may be stupid, but they're not that stupid. You need to have a stern talk with whoever was telling you all this.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:01 am

eujin wrote:
daeguowl wrote:So someone told me that Korea's early elimination means that they have failed to qualify for the U-20 World Cup that they're hosting next year. D'oh!

Not unless they're planning to annex New Zealand first, as that is where next year's U-20 World Cup is scheduled to be held.

Fortunately, in 2017, they qualify automatically as hosts, just like most FIFA tournaments. FIFA may be stupid, but they're not that stupid. You need to have a stern talk with whoever was telling you all this.

Joking aside, this is a big loss for the tournament. There is a large Korean population on the North Shore (where the many of the matches will be held, including a semi and the final). Christchurch and Hamilton also have significant populations. I've seen attendances significantly boosted here in NZ when Korea were playing, and I'm sure the organisers are not pleased. Perhaps if China (unexpectedly) qualifies, this will be easier to take...

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:14 pm

eujin wrote:

'Twas in a group chat where someone said it was reported on the news. I had queried whether they wouldnt qualify automatically as hosts and was told no but didnt bother to follow up. Mea culpa!

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 am

nzfooty wrote:Perhaps if China (unexpectedly) qualifies, this will be easier to take...

You don't rate their chances against Qatar? I've just been looking at both teams squads. Most of the players are playing overseas in Europe. Qatar have four players playing in the reserves at Belgian side Eupen, which is a club I've been meaning to visit for a while now, as they allegedly all speak German there. Maybe Qatar is actually taking this hosting business seriously and trying to put a decent team together for 2022?

In the Chinese squad there are eight players who play in Portugal. It should be an interesting match.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 am

So Qatar did indeed knock out China. No Chinese Huayi for New Zealand then. Also the DPRK knocked out Japan on penalties and there were allegedly 29,000 on hand in Rangoon to see the hosts eliminate the UAE.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:44 am

Qatar knocked out China and Qatar's Al Saadi now scores 5 goals in 4 appearances. Hmm. Interesting to say the least. They face Mynamar.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:46 am

eujin wrote:So Qatar did indeed knock out China. No Chinese Huayi for New Zealand then. Also the DPRK knocked out Japan on penalties and there were allegedly 29,000 on hand in Rangoon to see the hosts eliminate the UAE.

Uzbekistan also eliminated Thailand. Not much to cheer about for the organisers. The line-up so far is:

Myanmar
North Korea
Qatar
Uzbekistan

Fiji
NZ

Austria
Germany
Hungary
Portugal
Serbia
Ukraine

Now we just need Brazil and Argentina to fail in the qualifiers and miss out of the finals spots the way they did in the last edition. :?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Semi-finals

Uzbekistan 0–5 North Korea
Myanmar 2–3 Qatar (aet)

Final will take place Oct 23

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:31 pm

2014 Final
North Korea 0–1 Qatar

Qatar's first title.
Some interesting facts: South Korea have won 12 titles. Myanmar (who hosted this edition and made the semi-finals) are the second most successful team (with 7 titles)!! However, their last win came in 1970. Japan are yet to win this competition, though they made the final on six occasions.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 pm

nzfooty wrote:Qatar's first title.
Some interesting facts: South Korea have won 12 titles. Myanmar (who hosted this edition and made the semi-finals) are the second most successful team (with 7 titles)!! However, their last win came in 1970. Japan are yet to win this competition, though they made the final on six occasions.

Congratulations Qatar. A power in the making?

I was going to ask, do you have a breakdown of titles per tournament for all age groups and genders? I have the vague impression that both South Korea and North Korea do better than Japan when you add everything up, but I've never seen it demonstrated. North Korea do seem to to do well in a lot of these youth tournaments.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:34 pm

Here is a brief overview. You can find more details by following the links.

u-19 m
RSSSF
Wiki

12 South Korea (2 shared)

7 Burma (5 shared)

6 Israel (2 shared)

5 Iraq (2 shared)

4 Iran (3 shared)

3 North Korea (1 shared)

2 Saudi Arabia
Thailand (1 shared)

1 China
Qatar
Syria
UAE
India (shared)
Indonesia (shared)

u-16 m
RSSSF
Wiki

2 China
Japan
North Korea
Oman
Saudi Arabia
South Korea

1 Iran
Qatar
Thailand
Uzbekistan

u-19 w
RSSSF
Wiki

Japan 3

South Korea 2

China 1
North Korea 1

u-16 w
RSSSF
Wiki

Japan 3

North Korea 1
South Korea 1

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks. I guess it makes sense that the Japanese are a force in the women's game at all levels, although it looks like the DPRK have a better record than them in the Asian Games

Return to “Football in Asia”