2006 A3 Champions Cup schedule

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Poor Student
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Poor Student » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:40 am

Hello. I have very little knowledge of Asian football but I am always looking to expand on my knowledge of the global game. What is this A3 Champions Cup tournament? I have only heard of it today.

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:46 am

It's a four-team tournament involving clubs from the three big East Asian leagues (South Korea, Japan and China) which is hosted on a rotational basis between the countries. The champions of each league qualify for it along with one other side from the host country - this year it was held in Korea so J-League champions Yokohama F. Marinos, C-League champions Shenzhen Jianlibao and K-League champions Suwon Samsung Bluewings all competed along with K-League runners-up Pohang Steelers.

There is a West Asian version of the same tournament but there is no matchup between the two respective winners. It's little more than a glorified pre-season tournament.

I think there are plans afoot to include more clubs in the East Asian version a few years down the line and to move it from the pre-season slot it occupies now to a mid-summer competition, but I don't know if anything's been confirmed on that front yet.

Poor Student
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Poor Student » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:00 am

Interesting. So it's about as serious to these clubs as say the World Club Championship is to Liverpool right now? It's a new thing I take it?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:35 pm

Yeah it's not really that important a tournament, though there is $400,000 up for grabs for the winner which isn't really all that bad for three pre-season games.

Suwon stuffed Shenzhen 3-1 in this year's A3 cup but then went on to lose out to them in the AFC Champions League group. They used a reasonably strong squad with a bunch of youngsters included, and it took the place of an extended foreign training camp.

The tournament started in 2003: http://www.rsssf.com/tablesa/a3mazda03.html

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:53 pm

The tournament is likely to be held in Japan between August 1st-7th next year.

Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i, Gamba Osaka and Dalian Shide will all compete as champions along with one other as-yet-undetermined Japanese side, though chances are it'll be the J-League runners-up.

toohyper
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby toohyper » Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Sounds really terrific. 4 fine quality clubs.
GO Gwangju and Jeonbuk!!!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:46 am

Reports are suggesting that JEF United Icihara, as Nabisco Cup winners, will be in the A3 Champions Cup as the fourth club.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Slightly off topic, but what a finish to the J.League season. Top 5 all within a single point!

Return to “Football in Asia”