2016 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby eujin » Thu May 26, 2016 12:30 am

Both Chinese (Shandong and Shanghai) and both Korean (Seoul and Jeonbuk) teams through to the quarter-finals. Both Japanese and both Aussie sides are out. All the ties were quite close though.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 am

I was really happy with our performance last night with the exception of a few players picking up yellow cards that will haunt us if we advance. Coach killed all momentum going forward by bringing on KSW. Lee Ho was injured and we didn't bring any other true defender so we switched to a 4-4-2 (however I did see KSW track all the way back to the D line during play sometimes, not just when defending free kicks.. strange). Leo might have been tired but that was the best move to bring on Ko mUYeol... Edu didn't have more than a one pass to him in the box, the supporting cast wasnt enough for him to find the net. Subs literally killed us. No away goals so we HAVE to win at home, and that's against a stronger Shanghai team as I think two of their foreigners are returning from injury.
well well well

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:56 am

I didn't realize that HK 2015-16 league champions Eastern had to pull out of the 2017 AFC Champions League due to lack of money. :smt090

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:55 am

MipoFanatic wrote:I didn't realize that HK 2015-16 league champions Eastern had to pull out of the 2017 AFC Champions League due to lack of money. :smt090

Perhaps they should follow Kitchee and head over to Korea for some money-spinning friendlies against fourth division sides? They might do one better than Kitchee did and scrape a draw...

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 am

MipoFanatic wrote:I didn't realize that HK 2015-16 league champions Eastern had to pull out of the 2017 AFC Champions League due to lack of money. :smt090

Man, the HK league is even smaller than I suspected

(Still pissed off at South Africa and Hong Kong. South Africa started their league four days after I left, and HK will start today, three days after I left. They are so damn inconsiderate!)
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Kitchee's rolling in cash... which made Eastern's league win all the more special.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 pm

There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:25 am

We're guaranteed a Korean team in the final this year then as Jeonbuk defeated Shanghai SIPG 5-0 on Tuesday to book their passage through to the semi-finals where they will meet FC Seoul who drew 1-1 with Shandong Luneng and also go through.

Al Ain of the UAE will take on Qatari club El Jaish in the other semi..

This could be quite a season for Jeonbuk, potentially going the entire K-League season unbeaten and winning the AFC Champions League only to find themselves as a K-League Challenge club on return from the Club World Cup :)

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Holyjoe wrote:We're guaranteed a Korean team in the final this year then as Jeonbuk defeated Shanghai SIPG 5-0 on Tuesday to book their passage through to the semi-finals where they will meet FC Seoul who drew 1-1 with Shandong Luneng and also go through.

This could be quite a season for Jeonbuk, potentially going the entire K-League season unbeaten and winning the AFC Champions League only to find themselves as a K-League Challenge club on return from the Club World Cup :)

ya'll got jokes, Suwon more banners than points, even Incheon thought to get in on the action... if the investigation proves that the club knew about it, I understand. if it was just an agent throwing out chump change, who is to say I can take $1000 and go give it in the name of seongnam, get busted, go learn kroean in jail for the year :) and just point the finger at seongnam>?
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:18 am

Alex43 wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:We're guaranteed a Korean team in the final this year then as Jeonbuk defeated Shanghai SIPG 5-0 on Tuesday to book their passage through to the semi-finals where they will meet FC Seoul who drew 1-1 with Shandong Luneng and also go through.

ya'll got jokes, Suwon more banners than points, even Incheon thought to get in on the action... if the investigation proves that the club knew about it, I understand. if it was just an agent throwing out chump change, who is to say I can take $1000 and go give it in the name of seongnam, get busted, go learn kroean in jail for the year :) and just point the finger at seongnam>?

If a Kleague scout has enough money to be throwing down a grand here and a grand there then he's being paid too much!

Marco91
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Marco91 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:22 am

I want to see at least 45000 ppl in attendance for the semifinals. But Jeonbuk won't relegate.

andyc24_uk
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby andyc24_uk » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:53 pm

The precedent's been set by Gyeongnam last season surely - Jeonbuk will start next season on -10 points and probably get a big fine.

That would help the KFA out in several ways :
- Avoids potentially relegating the ACL champions which wouldn't look too good for Korean football's image
- Ensures Jeonbuk qualify for next season's ACL (The AFC aren't going to want to run the risk of missing the possible title holders for next season)
- Evens out the playing field for next season so it should be a significantly closer and more exciting season instead of Jeonbuk running away with it for a 3rd consecutive year
- Sets a solid, clear marker for what happens if you fuck about with envelopes full of manwons - regardless of who you are
- Probably just about acceptable by 95% of fans
- Jeonbuk aren't going to challenge a penalty like that and risk problems dragging on into next season - They might well challenge a direct relegation, especially if the circumstances aren't 100% clear.
- Jeonbuk's fine could nicely boost up the KFA room salon budget for 2017
This season I will be mostly supporting :
KLClassic - Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors / KLChallenge & National League - Anyone & Everyone / K3 League - Jeonju Citizen

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 am

andyc24_uk wrote:The precedent's been set by Gyeongnam last season surely - Jeonbuk will start next season on -10 points and probably get a big fine.

That would help the KFA out in several ways :
- Avoids potentially relegating the ACL champions which wouldn't look too good for Korean football's image
1- Ensures Jeonbuk qualify for next season's ACL (The AFC aren't going to want to run the risk of missing the possible title holders for next season)
- Evens out the playing field for next season so it should be a significantly closer and more exciting season instead of Jeonbuk running away with it for a 3rd consecutive year
-2 Sets a solid, clear marker for what happens if you fuck about with envelopes full of manwons - regardless of who you are
3- Probably just about acceptable by 95% of fans
- Jeonbuk aren't going to challenge a penalty like that and risk problems dragging on into next season - They might well challenge a direct relegation, especially if the circumstances aren't 100% clear.
-4 Jeonbuk's fine could nicely boost up the KFA room salon budget for 2017

1 we are already going to be there with our finish from this year. I would assume the current standings would stay, as we are likely to win the league, a relegation wouldn't mean a title strip.
2 the problem is u have shit teams like Suwon who are almost getting relegated and could try to stay a float knowing it's just sponsor money and -10 next year...
3. whose fans? 110% jbfc fans would accept it
4. need to get a job there next season on that note
well well well

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:48 am

Alex43 wrote:
andyc24_uk wrote:-4 Jeonbuk's fine could nicely boost up the KFA room salon budget for 2017

4. need to get a job there next season on that note

You might need to get a Brazilian to work somewhere like that - and I'm not talking about Leonardo or Edu.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:26 am

Quite a pumping for FC Seoul today as Jeonbuk won the first leg of the semi 4-1. An all important away goal for Seoul though so an easy 3-0 win at Sangam and it's them through to the final instead.

Return to “Football in Asia”