2016 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
User avatar
RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby RoqueJunior » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Was in China and didn't played so well in Dalian.

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5006
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Great 1-0 win for Pohang over Urawa. The defence is looking solid although goals might be hard to come by.

Seoul are on fire. Seven goals in two matches for Adriano. Suwon, Hiroshima and Guangzhou have been disappointing so far. Hiroshima and Guangzhou are used to winning trophies. Suwon have long since forgotten what it feels like.

User avatar
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 am
Location: Eunpyeong-gu, Seoul

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:05 pm

RoqueJunior wrote:Was in China and didn't played so well in Dalian.


That was a few seasons ago though. If he keeps up his ACL form it'll be hard not to pay attention to him.

On the other hand he could stick around in Korea and get naturalised :) Wouldn't mind seeing him leading the line for the NT.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

User avatar
Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Sejong City
Contact:

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Evergreen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:43 am

SteveW wrote:
RoqueJunior wrote:Was in China and didn't played so well in Dalian.


That was a few seasons ago though. If he keeps up his ACL form it'll be hard not to pay attention to him.

On the other hand he could stick around in Korea and get naturalised :) Wouldn't mind seeing him leading the line for the NT.


I actually thought about that possibility the other day. No hyperbole - Adriano is the best player I've ever seen play live week in week out.
Image

User avatar
daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: Seoul
Contact:

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby daeguowl » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:38 am

Evergreen wrote:
SteveW wrote:
RoqueJunior wrote:Was in China and didn't played so well in Dalian.


That was a few seasons ago though. If he keeps up his ACL form it'll be hard not to pay attention to him.

On the other hand he could stick around in Korea and get naturalised :) Wouldn't mind seeing him leading the line for the NT.


I actually thought about that possibility the other day. No hyperbole - Adriano is the best player I've ever seen play live week in week out.


Yeah but you grew up watching Plymouth! :smt081

User avatar
Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Sejong City
Contact:

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Evergreen » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Naturally I don't claim to have watched football of the highest level haha. Adriano is an absolute beast though.
Image

User avatar
RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby RoqueJunior » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Suwon with an young side against Victory. Hygor starts from the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYjK8Q7Evs

User avatar
RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby RoqueJunior » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Adriano Mickael Jackson again. Seoul scored at least 4 again. WOW they are just brilliant in the ACL.

User avatar
Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am
Location: Seoul

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Suwon will win the next 3 games and qualify
Blue is the color!

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11586
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Suwonesque wrote:Suwon will win the next 3 games and qualify


Are you this guy?
Attachments
53529697.jpg
53529697.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 1495 times

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5006
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Suwon are a home win away from being right back in qualification contention.

Pohang now have a tough few matches to gather enough points to get through. Away in Australia, then home to Guangzhou and away in Saitama. Seoul are basically home dry already. Jeonbuk's group is still tight, but a win in Vietnam next month could see them start to pull away.

User avatar
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 11586
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:57 pm
Contact:

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:37 am

Do we reckon Korean sides are not taking this tournament as seriously as they used to then or has there been a general increase in the overall competitiveness of the competition that they're struggling to deal with as they did before?

Pohang sent quite a young squad out to Sydney the other night and they lost 1-0, Seoul huffed and puffed their way to a goalless draw with Shandong Luneng that same night (though to be fair to Seoul they've been the one Korean side that have actually looked decent in the ACL this year) and Suwon drew with Melbourne Victory at home earlier today which was their third consecutive draw in the group stage and leaves them struggling to qualify. Worst of all was Jeonbuk who became the first ever Korean club to lose to a Vietnamese side going down 3-2 away to Binh Duong and finishing the match with nine men.

None of them are doing as poorly as defending champions Guangzhou Evergrande who sit bottom of Group H with just two points from four matches so it's not all bad..

User avatar
eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion
Posts: 5006
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Hanover, Germany

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby eujin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:37 am

Pohang were always likely to struggle in a tough group. There have been a lot of draws in Suwon's group. But they're basically out if Melbourne beat Shanghai on April 19th. Jeonbuk suffered two red cards and the Vietnamese got two of their goals from penalties - curiously Bình Dương didn't get a single yellow card...

Given where the money is flowing it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Koreans aren't dominating as in previous years. But strange things can happen in football. I'm just watching Wolfsburg beat Real Madrid 2-0. Wolfsburg have not impressed in the German league this season and looked disorganised at the weekend, while Real were beating Barcelona away.

User avatar
Alex43
National League champion
National League champion
Posts: 1897
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:17 am

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Alex43 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:35 am

if anyone wants to do some digging, someone said that the ref from the jeonbuk game didnt have the credentials to even be reffing a AFC level match.
well well well

User avatar
Gyongmaman
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Gyongmaman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:49 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Do we reckon Korean sides are not taking this tournament as seriously as they used to then or has there been a general increase in the overall competitiveness of the competition that they're struggling to deal with as they did before?

Pohang sent quite a young squad out to Sydney the other night and they lost 1-0, Seoul huffed and puffed their way to a goalless draw with Shandong Luneng that same night (though to be fair to Seoul they've been the one Korean side that have actually looked decent in the ACL this year) and Suwon drew with Melbourne Victory at home earlier today which was their third consecutive draw in the group stage and leaves them struggling to qualify. Worst of all was Jeonbuk who became the first ever Korean club to lose to a Vietnamese side going down 3-2 away to Binh Duong and finishing the match with nine men.

None of them are doing as poorly as defending champions Guangzhou Evergrande who sit bottom of Group H with just two points from four matches so it's not all bad..


Went to the Seoul and Suwon games this week. At Seoul, Shandong came to play for 0-0 and Seoul didn't seem like they could be bothered to try and break them down presumably knowing that barring a crazy set of results that would be enough to see them through too.

The Suwon game was much better with Suwon trying to win but I just think they're not very good this year. Kwon Chang Hoon's goal was excellent but they went to sleep a moment later. The Melbourne keeper made some very good saves (one in the first half was ridiculously good) but Suwon didn't really look like winning at any stage. I hope they somehow manage to turn it around and scrape through (so there's another midweek game to go to...and for the coefficent, of course) but can't see it.

Seems the Melbourne travelling support had been making good use of their time in Korea to learn some very naughty words, No Dong Geon being the primary target of their linguistic talents. The simpler "Suwon's a shithole and you have to live here" is one that could be incorporated into the repertoire of many teams though.

No excuses for Jeonbuk.


Return to “Football in Asia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest