2016 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby eujin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:56 pm

Alex43 wrote:if anyone wants to do some digging, someone said that the ref from the jeonbuk game didnt have the credentials to even be reffing a AFC level match.

That seems exceptionally unlikely (did you hear it from a Korean Jeonbuk fan?). Dmitriy Mashentsev of Kyrgyzstan has refereed multiple matches for the AFC before including Iran vs Kuwait in a 2015 Asian Cup qualifier and Qatar vs Hong Kong in a WC qualifier as recently as March.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 am

eujin wrote:
Alex43 wrote:if anyone wants to do some digging, someone said that the ref from the jeonbuk game didnt have the credentials to even be reffing a AFC level match.

That seems exceptionally unlikely (did you hear it from a Korean Jeonbuk fan?). Dmitriy Mashentsev of Kyrgyzstan has refereed multiple matches for the AFC before including Iran vs Kuwait in a 2015 Asian Cup qualifier and Qatar vs Hong Kong in a WC qualifier as recently as March.

i did hear it from a korean JB fan... thing was our back line feel apart there so it isn't the refs fault... CB is the problem, we are going to have to go like this:
park wonjae(lee juyoung)-kim hyungil-choi chulsoon-kim changsoo. we would be incredibly short in the middle, but if paartalu was in front, we would be pretty solid there. chulsoon played Cb against seoul (with wilkinson i believe and kim kihee on the right) with a back line that had a lot of experience and knew their positions well, so maybe it wont work as well again but there is no point in having these experience sidebacks when we have a huge whole in the middle.
well well well

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Looks like i am the only passionate suwon fan left in this board.

As it stands, suwon has a slim chance of going into last 16.
Suwon has to win at home against Shanghai with a big margin.
Blue is the color!

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:45 am

Little update: afc results are decided by head-to-head games. So we are hoping Osaka to take at least a point from Melbourne, and we still need to win...

Slimmer than i thought
Blue is the color!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Suwonesque wrote:Looks like i am the only passionate suwon fan left in this board.

So there IS a god? :smt006
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:32 pm

our the knock out stages two legs?
well well well

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Alex43 wrote:our the knock out stages two legs?

Yes

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 am

Pohang are already out.
Suwon need Gamba Osaka to do them a favour and get at least a point in Melbourne.
Seoul are through, winning the group.
Jeonbuk have a very interesting problem of needing to avoid defeat in Nanjing, or hope that FC Tokyo don't win in Vietnam. Jiangsu will need a home win if Tokyo do win.

Defending champions Guangzhou are also out, as are Japanese champions Hiroshima, Saudi champions al-Nasser and Iranian champions Sepahan. Go the Champions League!

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:29 am

how is suwon out?

* The standings are based on points, head-to-head, goal-difference and number of goals of the teams tied

they tied both, suwon is +3 for GD, and they both scored 7 goals... I'm missing something here.
well well well

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 am

Presumably Suwon are out on away goals as it was 0-0 in Oz and 1-1 at the hen house.
Bring back King Cha.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu May 05, 2016 4:21 pm

Yep away goals count in the head to head so there was no way Suwon could get ahead of Melbourne if the Aussies won yesterday.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Thu May 05, 2016 4:57 pm

Things end all very even in the group stage then, with two Korean team through (Seoul and Jeonbuk), two Japanese teams, two Chinese teams and two Aussie teams.

In the West we also have two Iranian teams, two Qatari teams, two UAE teams and one each from Saudi and Uzbekistan.

The last time any of the remaining teams won the title was 2007 (Urawa) and Jeonbuk are the only other previous ACL winner in the last 16. Al Hilal won the Asian Club Championship in 2000 and 1991, but a lot of previous winners have already been knocked out: Al Sadd, Pohang, Al Ittihad, Suwon, Guangzhou and Gamba.

Meanwhile, in Europe, Real Madrid are back in the final for the 50th time and its a repeat of the final we saw two years ago.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed May 11, 2016 8:36 pm

Head2head is a shitty rule, even away goal rule is also a shitty one.

The teams should play for a goal difference so that the fans will enjoy the more attacking football.
Blue is the color!

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:27 am

melbourne victory v jeonbuk went down tonight, the 3 times the teams have met. 2nd time in melbourne, in a 2nd stadium and for a 2nd tie. Jeonbuk coming from behind in the first half. i'm not going to pretend like i watched it, but i certainly think the boys didnt give a shit from the highlights (all of 2 minutes). KING was there, so i hope he can fill me/us in a bit more on what went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gAR2piavOE
well well well

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Wed May 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Suwonesque wrote:Head2head is a shitty rule, even away goal rule is also a shitty one.

The teams should play for a goal difference so that the fans will enjoy the more attacking football.

I disagree entirely. Head2head is the fairest way to separate two teams tied on points. Goal difference will come down to who plays who when, who happens to be playing Shanghai after they've sown up the group, don't give a shit and rest Elkeson, Conca and most of the first team. Some fans might enjoy watching their team run up the score against a bunch of reserves or no-hopers, but it's not good for football.

Return to “Football in Asia”