2016 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:58 am

The season starts today for Pohang, they're in qualifying action against Vietnamese side Hanoi T&T. FC Seoul beat them quite comfortably 7-0 this time last season so should be a pretty gentle start to 2016 for Choi Jin-cheol in his first match in charge of Pohang.

They can count themselves quite lucky they've got a relatively easy path to the group stages, the other three matches in the East section could be quite closely contested:

Pohang v Hanoi T&T
FC Tokyo v Chonburi
Adelaide United v Shandong Luneng
Shanghai SIPG v Muangthong United

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2016 AFC Champions League

Postby Alex43 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 pm

1-0 at half time.
great goal by pohang on a terribly windy day. for some reason i was expecting a evening midweek game and just realized it was on a sec ago, but with no chatter here. i guess no one else is watching it...
well well well

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:52 pm

3-0 pohang is in... 4 korean teams again
well well well

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:35 am

FC TOKYO vs CHONBURI FC - Group E (W/ Jeonbuk)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpy8qAM6-gw

ADELAIDE UNITED vs SHANDONG LUNENG - Group F (W/ FC Seoul)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmCfuYYr6M

SHANGHAI SIPG vs MUANGTHONG UNITED Group G (W/ Suwon Samsung)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnQjhWp2_QE

POHANG STEELERS vs HANOI T&T - Group H
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibT3OLGg-x4
well well well

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:29 am

Holyjoe wrote:They can count themselves quite lucky they've got a relatively easy path to the group stages, the other three matches in the East section could be quite closely contested:

Fucking hell, I usually get a lot further into the season before my predictions start getting that horrendous...

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:45 pm

Sounds like it was a bit of a logistical challenge for Hanoi T&T to get to Korea in the first place:

Long, winding trip ahead for Vietnamese football club competing in Korea

Vietnamese football side Hanoi T&T must complete a long and winding trip this weekend to South Korea before they will face a local team for a spot at Asia's top club competition, officials here said Thursday.

Hanoi T&T will meet Pohang Steelers of the K League Classic in Pohang, North Gyeongsang Province, next Tuesday in the final playoff for the Asian Football Confederation Champions League. The winner will make it to the group stage of the annual tournament.

According to K League officials, Hanoi T&T on Wednesday had trouble finding plane tickets to South Korea, as the match fell during the Lunar New Year holiday for both countries. They only qualified for the match against Pohang by defeating Hong Kong club Kitchee 1-0 Tuesday.

The Vietnamese club managed to finalize their itinerary on Thursday, and they will travel to Gimhae International Airport in Busan, a southern port city located about 120 kilometers south of Pohang, instead of Incheon International Airport, the country's main gateway, some 400 kilometers northwest of Pohang.

After the match, they will leave through Incheon but weren't able to find flights from Gimhae to Incheon airport. They will likely to have to ride a bus in the wee hours of Wednesday morning to make it to the airport on time, as it is the last day of the long weekend and northbound roads are expected to be congested.

The winner of this showdown will be paired with Guangzhou Evergrande of China, Sydney FC of Australia and Urawa Red Diamonds of Japan in Group H. The top two teams from each group will reach the round of 16. (Yonhap)
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Not sure if anyone noticed, but a couple of weeks ago, Mohun Bagan AC became the first Indian club to win an AFC Champions League qualifying playoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93VbtWR2R8

As a fan of underdogs in cups, I'm not sure why I haven't checked out the early rounds of this competition before.
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:02 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, but a couple of weeks ago, Mohun Bagan AC became the first Indian club to win an AFC Champions League qualifying playoff.

As a fan of underdogs in cups, I'm not sure why I haven't checked out the early rounds of this competition before.

We reviewed this game in episdoe 49 of the podcast. Mohun Bagan's Haitian player Sonny Norde looked decent, their Trinidadian player looked like a legless donkey and their Japanese player has had an interesting career. We wondered if they were as good as the 4 four minite youtube highlights suggested and the subsequent 6-0 defeat to Shandong says probably not (unless Tampines were really, really poor)

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 am

Apparently some of the Western Asian teams are really good. Better than all the Korean teams. Does this mean they will get anywhere close to the final of this year? And Buriram is considered top 10? Hmmmm, they are seriously underperforming for a team that great. :smt005

http://footballdatabase.com/ranking/asia/1
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:26 am

So almost exactly a year to the day that Seongnam embarrassed the nation by losing 2-1 to Buriram United, FC Seoul show them how it's done by beating the Thai side 6-0. Adriano netted four, in one match they've already scored more goals than they did in the entire group stage last season.

Jeonbuk also got off to a winning start by beating FC Tokyo 2-1, now it's over to Pohang and Suwon to try and notch up some more Korean wins.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Godriano strikes again. Easily going to be top scorer in the KLeague this season.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 pm

Very decent result for Pohang drawing 0-0 away at holders Guangzhou.

I hadn't heard about the advertising shenanigans at last year's final until I noticed the attendance for Pohang's match in China was 571.
http://www.the-afc.com/media-releases/g ... ons-league

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Suwon Bluewings had a home draw, should have won actually as they hit the post twice. Though they didn't score, the guy playing upfront was pretty decent I think. Tall and strong, might be little bit raw, but I would cheer for him than some unknown Brazilian.
Blue is the color!

RoqueJunior
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby RoqueJunior » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Seoul FC won against J-League champ 4-1. Adriano was great again, but I'm more impressed by Jin Ho-Shin. He looks to be the perfect replacement for Momo Molina. However, Sanfrecce didn't played with their best 11.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Adriano is a machine. I wonder if the Chinese are looking his way...
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “Football in Asia”