2014 Indian Super League (ISL)

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

2014 Indian Super League (ISL)

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 am

Don't remember if I go this article on this forum or on Facebook, but either way, I got it and went looking for scores.

Soccerway has the scores. Only 8 games have been played so far.

Each team will play only 14 games, total. Not sure that is enough for a game like football to get any kind of fair league result.

I wonder what their rules are for foreign players, because some of them have squads that are only about half Indian.

The names of some of the teams are a bit silly though...

Atlético de Kolkata, NorthEast United, Mumbai City, Chennaiyin FC, Delhi Dynamos, Goa, Pune City, Kerala Blasters.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: 2014 Indian Super League (ISL)

Postby SteveW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:25 am

Not as silly as Seoul ELand FC or Jungnang Mustang Chorus.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 am

SteveW wrote:Not as silly as Seoul ELand FC or Jungnang Mustang Chorus.

True, but that is only when they are using that silly name. The Woodland Ferrets is still one of the best names in all of sport.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:41 am

Jungnang Woodland Ferrets Chorus Mustang Goa ?
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:06 pm

OttoSilver wrote:The names of some of the teams are a bit silly though...

Mumbai City, Chennaiyin FC, Goa, Pune City

What's silly about naming the team after the city it's located in? Or do you mean to say that Goa is a silly name for a city?

Atlético de Kolkata, NorthEast United, Delhi Dynamos, Kerala Blasters.

Some of those names do look like they're trying just a little too much. Then again, the MLS is filled with teams with names just as bad. Dynamo Houston, Sporting Kansas City (previously Kansas City Wiz), Réal Salt Lake, Los Angeles Galaxy ...

Africa also has some unique team names, as do some European nations if you stop to translate what the names mean. Ukraine has FC Shakhtar Miners, FC Black Sea Sailors of Odessa, FC Carpathian Mountains of Lviv, FC Sub-Carpathian Mountains of Ivano-Frankivsk, PFC Grain Field Vinnytsia, and so on.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Please don't edit my words for me. I did NOT type

Mumbai City, Chennaiyin FC, Goa, Pune City

I typed

Atlético de Kolkata, NorthEast United, Mumbai City, Chennaiyin FC, Delhi Dynamos, Goa, Pune City, Kerala Blasters.

That is a list of all 8 teams in the competition, so SOME would imply that NOT ALL of them are silly.

paquebot wrote:Some of those names do look like they're trying just a little too much. Then again, the MLS is filled with teams with names just as bad. Dynamo Houston, Sporting Kansas City (previously Kansas City Wiz), Réal Salt Lake, Los Angeles Galaxy ...

Africa also has some unique team names, as do some European nations if you stop to translate what the names mean. Ukraine has FC Shakhtar Miners, FC Black Sea Sailors of Odessa, FC Carpathian Mountains of Lviv, FC Sub-Carpathian Mountains of Ivano-Frankivsk, PFC Grain Field Vinnytsia, and so on.

I agree. Silly names are all over the place. The rugby team I grew up supporting are called The Blue Bulls. That is it. Nothing else. When you know the history it makes sense, but every time I tell someone not from South Africa which team I support, especial to someone from a country that is not used to playing against them, I cringe a little inside because of what it sounds like

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:21 pm

OttoSilver wrote:That is a list of all 8 teams in the competition, so SOME would imply that NOT ALL of them are silly.

Leave it up to the reader to guess what you mean and there's always a chance that they'll get it wrong. :P

OttoSilver wrote:I agree. Silly names are all over the place. The rugby team I grew up supporting are called The Blue Bulls. That is it. Nothing else. When you know the history it makes sense, but every time I tell someone not from South Africa which team I support, especial to someone from a country that is not used to playing against them, I cringe a little inside because of what it sounds like

True. Hadn't even thought about rugby names. Off to work now, but will have to check on The Blue Bulls later.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

They just need to find the right cows. Then their bulls won't be so blue.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:39 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:They just need to find the right cows. Then their bulls won't be so blue.

Sigh...See what I mean. :P

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 pm

OttoSilver wrote:The names of some of the teams are a bit silly though...

I like the sillyness of the names. If it was run by Korean officials the team listing would probably be something like Kokokata United, NorthEast United, Mumbai United, Chennaiyin FC, Delhi United, Goa United, Pune FC and Kerala United. Where's the fun in that?

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Holyjoe wrote:I like the sillyness of the names. If it was run by Korean officials the team listing would probably be something like Kokokata United, NorthEast United, Mumbai United, Chennaiyin FC, Delhi United, Goa United, Pune FC and Kerala United. Where's the fun in that?

I don't agree. There would have been at least one FC Something and one Something Citizen in there.

I don't so much thing that strange names are silly, just that silly names are silly. They can all themselves the Growling Monkeys for all I care, but which part of India is Spanish speaking, for instance? And who United to created one of those teams?

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 pm

OttoSilver wrote: which part of India is Spanish speaking, for instance?

The midfield of Atlético de Kolkata? Jofre, Garcia, Borja and Josemi are all Spanish.

The club is also co-owned by Atlético de Madrid and the coach is Spanish too.

OttoSilver also wrote:And who United to created one of those teams?

NorthEast United represent all eight northeast states of India. Their motto is "8 states. 1 united". All their youth players come from the region.

You can sleep easy now. It all makes sense. :smt015

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:17 pm

FC Sub-Carpathian Mountains of Ivano-Frankivsk

That's got to be a challenge to scan in a song...

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 am

SteveW wrote:FC Sub-Carpathian Mountains of Ivano-Frankivsk

That's got to be a challenge to scan in a song...

"We are the mountains
The Sub-Carpathian Mountains
The Sub-Carpathian Mountains
of Ivano-Frankivsk

We play good football
The best in the country
We play good football
in Ivano-Frankivsk"

No idea. The club's full name is Professional Football Club Prykarpattia Ivano-Frankivsk, which is a bit of a mouthful.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Not the ISL, but happened during a lower league Indian match:

Peter Biaksangzuala: Indian player dies after goal celebration
20 October 2014

Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala has died from the injuries he suffered as he landed awkwardly while celebrating a goal.

The 23-year-old damaged his spinal cord doing a somersault after scoring an equaliser for Bethlehem Vengthlang FC against Chanmari West FC.

Biaksangzuala was taken to hospital and had surgery, but passed away.

The match in which he sustained his injuries was a state level game in the Mizoram Premier League.

A statement on the Mizoram Premier League's official Facebook page read: "It has been a sad day for Mizoram football and the demise of the footballer shook his team-mates, footballers and fans alike all over Mizoram.

"Peter was a defensive midfielder who had always been aggressive and hard working, a true team player.

"Peter's club Bethlehem Vengthlang FC will retire his jersey no. 21."

Bethlehem Vengthlang FC is a club based in the north-east of India.

Return to “Football in Asia”