Players in Singapore

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Players in Singapore

Postby OttoSilver » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am

I'm going to Singapore for my winter vacation and thought I would see what games might be on offer.

I immediately notices something interesting. Their to scorer list is almost completely populated by non Singaporeans. When I went into some of the teams I notices as any as 7 of them on one team. is the 3 foreigner rule not an AFC standard?

Also, there are quite a few Korean over there. Some of them have never played in any country other than Singapore. Maybe later today I'll go through the teams and see how many Koreans I can find.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: Players in Singapore

Postby eujin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:58 pm

You won't be surprised to learn that Albirex Niigata are a Japanese farm side. Not so long ago there used to be an all Korean side called Super Reds and when an all French farm side, Etoile, won the title they would't let them in the AFC Champions League.

http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=828

http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2240

Singapore is a great place. Enjoy your vacation.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks for those links.

Singapore is kind of weird, huh? Understandably so, but still weird.

I learneded my something new and nichely interesting for today =D
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:41 pm

OttoSilver wrote:Singapore is kind of weird, huh? Understandably so, but still weird.

It's the most multicultural place I've ever been. There are no "we were 'ere first" types. People turn up, make their mark and become part of the place very quickly. We had a lot of fun watching Singapore Armed Forces play a while back. It was like having an Expats FC in the Champions League and most of them were playing for the national team, including a former Olympic canoeist. I just looked him up and Duric is still going strong, still banging in the goals for Tampines Rovers at 43.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 am

Yup, I've had colleagues from there and traveled there before. They do have their racial issues, but for the most part you are Singaporean if your passport says so and that is all that matters.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:02 am

I have to admit I love Singapore... if it was bigger I'd live there but it's just too small for me. A few square miles is going to get dull after a while.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

mfk
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mfk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:25 am

oh dear just saw this thread. i actually live in singapore haha. how was your time in sg otto?

edit: just read that its gonna be your "winter vacation". need any help around when you're here?
나위 사라ㅏㅏㅇㅇ 나의 수어ㅓㅓㄴㄴ ~~~~~

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:41 pm

When I was there it was for work and I was a beginner traveler. I didn't get to do nearly as much as I cold have :(

I'm not sure what the plans and times will be, but it will be in January, between 7 and 10 days.

mfk
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mfk » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:50 am

ah there will be hardly any football action though. the Suzuki Cup (South East Asian Championships) ends a week before. and the sleague doesnt kick off till late february / early march.
anyway if you're gonna check out one team with koreans. make it Home Utd . coached by 이임생. for Suwon favorite 이관우 is the 'marquee player' for that team. there's also 2 other relatively unknown Koreans, Kwon Da Kyong and Song Ui Yong

Return to “Football in Asia”