2014 Asian Games

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2014 Asian Games

Postby nzfooty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Women

India were the unlucky team to miss out on the QF, with Hong Kong making it despite their 0:10, 0 point record and bottom finish in their group.

Quarter-finals

Sep 26

North Korea 1–0 China
Vietnam 2–1 Thailand
South Korea 1–0 Taiwan
Japan 9–0 Hong Kong

Semi-finals

Sep 29

Vietnam v Japan
South Korea v North Korea

nzfooty wrote:Women

There is some confusion re the top-2 3rd placed teams that are to qualify for the finals.

Standard practice would see India being the team that goes out, as their record against the top-2 in their
group is 0-20, 0 points - inferior to both Taiwan and Hong Kong.

On the other hand, India is the only team to win a match out of the three -- in fact by 15 goals, against
the Maldives.

Hong Kong lost all their matches by 5-0 but are (probably) still through.

The only consensus is on Taiwan, who - at the worst - must be the second best 3rd placed.

Group B

Sep 22
Taiwan 0-3 Japan
China 5-0 Jordan

Code: Select all

1. Japan        3  2 1 0 15:0  +15  7
2. China        3  2 1 0  9:0  +9   7
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. Taiwan       3  0 1 2  2:9  -7   1
=====================================
4. Jordan       3  0 1 2  2:19 -17  1

Group C

Sep 23
Vietnam 5–0 Hong Kong

1. North Korea  2  2 0 0 10:0  +10  6
2. Vietnam      2  1 0 1  5:5    0  3
3. Hong Kong    2  0 0 2  0:10 -10  0
4. ---

Group A

1. South Korea  3  3 0 0 28:0  +28  9
2. Thailand     3  2 0 1 20:5  +15  6
3. India        3  1 0 2 15:20 -5   3
4. Maldives     3  0 0 3  0:38 -38  0

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:04 pm

eujin wrote:한일전 Olympic bronze replay is on for Sunday as both Korea and Japan got through their second round matches unscathed. Get your Anne Frank signs ready!

Quarter-finals
Sep 28
Thailand v Jordan
North Korea v United Arab Emirates
South Korea v Japan
Saudi Arabia v Iraq

Round of 16
Palestine 0–4 Japan
Jordan 2–0 (aet) Kyrgyzstan
South Korea 3–0 Hong Kong
Thailand 2–0 China
Iraq 4–2 Tajikistan
Vietnam 1–3 United Arab Emirates
Uzbekistan 2–3 Saudi Arabia
North Korea 4–1 Indonesia

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:42 pm

See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/sports/asi ... BziTu.dpuf

Fifa and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) are aware of the match-fixing suspicions at the Asian Games and are monitoring the situation, The New Paper has learnt.

In response to queries by TNP, AFC said it was not in a position to respond to the questions "as the Asian Games, including the football competition, is under the purview of the Olympic Council of Asia".

Mr Andreas Krannich, Sportradar's managing director of strategy and integrity, told TNP that AFC, which helps to run the Asian Games football tournament, has been "extremely proactive in their approach to stamping out match fixing".

Through those who are privy to the allegations, TNP has learnt that Fifa and AFC are monitoring the situation through their respective integrity units and match-review panels, which look out for suspicious incidents.

Replying to TNP's queries, Fifa said that it could not confirm whether investigations into match fixing were underway so as not to compromise any possible investigations.

"The integrity of the game is a top priority for Fifa and we take any allegations of match manipulation very seriously," it added.

EVIDENCE?

A source said that action could not be taken against teams based on suspicions and allegations, but only when there is clear evidence.

When asked about the win over Laos, Malaysian Under-23 coach Ong Kim Swee said that he had not noticed anything suspicious.

On Laos leaking late goals, he told TNP: "I believe their fitness and physical condition is one aspect you have to look at."

He said the Laos team had arrived just a day before their first match against Saudi Arabia and they had little rest because of some accreditation issues.

"I watched the match against Saudi and they were doing well, but you have to say (because of the previous day's incident) that fatigue would well be a factor," Ong added.

"In our game, we needed to push the players to get more goals than what Saudi got against them and I didn't notice anything strange. But I don't look at aspects besides what my team have to do."

Laos Football Association general secretary Xaybandith Rasphone said he did not know of any foul play.

"As far as I know, we have not heard anything (regarding suspicious play)," he said.

"We lost by just 2-0 to South Korea, who are a strong team, and the players tried their best to compete."

Holyjoe wrote:Who would be surprised?

Asian Games: Match-fixing claim hits men's football
September 25 2014

INCHEON: Match-fixing suspicions hit the Asian Games men's football competition on Thursday after a betting analysis company said there were strong indications of manipulation.

Asian Games organisers promised a full investigation after the claim by Swiss-based Sportradar surfaced in a Singapore newspaper.

"OCA takes this matter seriously and works with the Asian federation (AFC) and international federation (FIFA) for a proper and full investigation," an official said.

In Singapore's The New Paper, a senior Sportradar official said betting patterns strongly indicated match-fixing at the tournament in Incheon, South Korea.

"We can say that we strongly believe there have been manipulated matches at the Asian Games," said Andreas Krannich, Sportradar's managing director of strategy and integrity.

Krannich did not reveal the teams involved but said attention was focusing on at least one game where late goals were scored.

"For example, on a certain match in this competition, bettors were incredibly confident of a goal being scored in the final minutes," he told the newspaper.

"The odds movements and the deviations caused alerts, belying clear betting evidence that could never be justified in a regular contest."

Krannich added: "A number of matches were manipulated in the same fashion, suggesting that the same syndicate is operating in Incheon, South Korea."

There was no immediate comment from the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) or world body FIFA.

The men's football competition heads into the second round on Thursday after the completion of the group games on Monday.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:45 am

SaintsCanada wrote:Korea still can't figure out how to sell tickets for a sports event. :cry:
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sp ... 65017.html

Korea Times wrote:Spectators who visited the Seonhak Gymnasium for a handball game were forced to return home as no tickets were available. But the arena was virtually empty.

Experienced that at the Seonhak Gymnasium myself last week. Six matches for men's handball that day, with the third match (14:00) being Japan - Korea, so that one I expected to be rather full. However, how many Korean fans do you think would stick around for Kuwait - Hong Kong (16:00), Qatar - Oman (18:00), and China - UAE (20:00)? Didn't make any difference to the ticket office staff though, who were adamant that all of the tickets were sold out and they weren't going to budge on the issue. Fortunately the hockey field is right across the street and the ticket office there had no problems selling tickets.

Also caught the morning (09:30) archery events on Friday, and when I asked a volunteer where to find the ticket office - to pick up my reserved tickets - I was told that tickets were sold out, but since that volunteer "had some time" he would still show me how to get to the ticket office. Gee, thanks. Brought my DSLR with a stock lens, took some pictures from the stands, and after 90 minutes a high school girl came up and told me that I couldn't take any more pictures because I had "a professional camera" and those aren't allowed. Odd, because none of the other volunteers had a problem with it. Nor did they have a problem with a group of monks leading the crowd in a chant of "대한민국" when everyone was supposed to be quiet for the archers to concentrate.

Korea Times wrote:Foreigners are also having difficulty buying tickets online, even though tickets the IAGOC says tickets have been set aside for them. "I tried to purchase tickets online, but a ‘flash error' kept popping up, and the directions that followed were in Korean," said a tourist surnamed Sieto, 27.

Had this problem using Mozilla Firefox. No surprise, everything went okay using Internet Explorer. :roll:

Other stories from my Asian Games include wandering around inside the main stadium the morning after the Opening Ceremony with nobody seeming to care what I was doing. (Was actually trying to find the cricket ground, which it turns out is down the street.) Caught more hockey today and some foreigners were raising a fuss after having their beer (two cans?) confiscated by staff. I heard one of them exclaim "But we have friends inside!" as I whisked by them, perhaps suggesting inconsistent enforcement. One of the universities is providing students to cheer during the hockey matches -- maybe that's where some of the missing tickets have gone? I've seen them 'supporting' India, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, China, and even Japan.

And at the hockey:

Kim Twan-hae has a fascinating story to narrate. The 91-year-old’s memory has understandably faded a bit. But on the topic of the Korean War, it remains sharp as ever. [...]

On Thursday, Kim, along with a hundred other war veterans and their families, cheered the Indian hockey side in their group stage match of the Incheon Asian Games against Pakistan. The motley group was easily outnumbered and out-voiced by the 3,000-odd Pakistani fans at the Seonhak Hockey Stadium. But waving the tri-colour and proudly chanting “Indo!” every time Sardar Singh & Co. moved forward, these war veterans stood out in the crowd. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/sports ... qZPG6.dpuf
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Are any of you clowns watching the 한일전 or are you all footballed out after the excitement of Martyrs-Goyang? Looks like a bumper crowd at Munhak, including quite a few Japanese fans. It's 0-0 at half-time, but both teams are leaving it out there.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 pm

1-0 it finishes to Korea. Captain Jang Hyun-soo steps up on his birthday to put them through in the 87th minute from the penalty spot after Lee Jong-ho was fouled and had to go off with a bloodied nose.

Bye bye Japan. :smt006

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:37 am

Yuh, the other results:

Quarter-finals
Sep 28
Thailand 2-0 Jordan
North Korea 1-0 United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia 0-3 Iraq

Impressive stuff from Iraq. Not just this trashing of Saudi Arabia but also a 3-1 over Japan in the group stages and 17 goals scored in total so far...

Semi-finals
Sep 30
Iraq v North Korea
South Korea v Thailand

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm

eujin wrote:Are any of you clowns watching the 한일전 or are you all footballed out after the excitement of Martyrs-Goyang? Looks like a bumper crowd at Munhak, including quite a few Japanese fans. It's 0-0 at half-time, but both teams are leaving it out there.

I eschewed the football and went to watch the Maldives play Nepal in the cricket.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:03 pm

I don't really have much interest in the Asian Games, but flicked on a feed of Korea v Japan - looks like a lot of people share my view judging by the empty seats.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 pm

SteveW wrote:I don't really have much interest in the Asian Games, but flicked on a feed of Korea v Japan - looks like a lot of people share my view judging by the empty seats.

The official attendance was 43,221, the highest of the games in any sport, double what would fit in the Incheon Football Stadium.

Teguramori [the Japan coach] said the sellout crowd at the Munhak World Cup Stadium was definitely a factor. Japan had been playing in front of near-empty stadiums until Sunday.

“Their supporters deserve part of the credit for the win,” Teguramori said. “But our team tends to try to play pretty, neat football but today they were throwing themselves in the line of fire. I was happy to see them getting down and dirty for once.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/09/28/soccer/south-korea-ends-japans-asian-games-title-defense-quarterfinals/#.VCkjxa1A8ak

Are you sure you were watching the right match?

Last edited by eujin on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:24 pm

eujin wrote:
SteveW wrote:I don't really have much interest in the Asian Games, but flicked on a feed of Korea v Japan - looks like a lot of people share my view judging by the empty seats.

The official attendance was 43,221, the highest of the games in any sport, double what would fit in the Incheon Football Stadium.

Teguramori [the Japan coach] said the sellout crowd at the Munhak World Cup Stadium was definitely a factor. Japan had been playing in front of near-empty stadiums until Sunday.

“Their supporters deserve part of the credit for the win,” Teguramori said.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/09/28/soccer/south-korea-ends-japans-asian-games-title-defense-quarterfinals/#.VCkjxa1A8ak

Odd... I wasn't really paying attention and only flicked on for a bit and it was half time... I wonder if they were showing a different stadium then? Or if everyone buggered off during half-time? It didn't even look 25% full.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:28 pm

I edited above with a photo.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:27 pm

eujin wrote:I edited above with a photo.

Aye, looks like I'm talking shite.

Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:29 pm

North versus South in the football, again??
20:11 We could be on course for another North Korea versus South Korea final in the football.

A thrilling women's final saw North Korea score a 93rd minute winner last night to seal the gold.

The North Korean men were at it again today as they edged Iraq 1-0 in extra-time. Ingwan Jong was the goalscorer as he netted in the 96th minute before being sent off in the 104th. His team hung on to secure their place in the final, though, where they will face the winner of the South Korea/Thailand semi-final that has just begun.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:10 am

Korea win 2-0 over Thailand in the semi-final. They haven't conceded a goal yet. They play DPRK in the final on Thursday with a chance for some sort of revenge for the semi-final defeat in the women's tournament (it was a semi, not a gold medal match btw) and the recent AFC U-16 final.

Korea's second goal, a penalty from Jang Hyun-soo, has already been labelled a "cheat penalty" on wikipedia, as there was some dispute as to whether the foul was inside or outside the box. :roll:

Return to “Football in Asia”