2014 AFC Champions League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2014 AFC Champions League

Postby SaintsCanada » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:45 pm

How Sadd for them. Budum psh!
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:45 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:How Sadd for them. Budum psh!

we were al sadd when they won
well well well

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:26 am

Alex43 wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:No. Because they didn't deserve to even be in the semis.

2011 champs Al Sadd didnt even qualify for the tourney...

Didn't they go from play-offs to winning the whole thing besides that one match vs Suwon?

And @FCSeoul No. WSW grass-rolled their way through the semis.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:36 pm

FCSeoul wrote:Western Sydney deserved to go to the finals. We were piss poor against them. Couldn't finish and no creativity at all. Hopefully, Choi Yong-soo learned from this and bring in a decent striker in the January transfer window.

Wasn't he trying to bring one in? They're already on their second striking import this year. Maybe he should stop the silly idea that Brazilian = great striker?
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:25 pm

OttoSilver wrote:
FCSeoul wrote:Western Sydney deserved to go to the finals. We were piss poor against them. Couldn't finish and no creativity at all. Hopefully, Choi Yong-soo learned from this and bring in a decent striker in the January transfer window.

Wasn't he trying to bring one in? They're already on their second striking import this year. Maybe he should stop the silly idea that Brazilian = great striker?

Choi should have brought a veteran K-League striker like Stevo. Stevo has been a crucial part of Chunnam's offense this season. Not only does he score goals, he creates multiple chances for Chunnam as well.

Or that former Jeju striker, Pedro Junior. He would have been a great addition.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Peeeeedro! Peeeeedro! Peeeedro!
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:02 pm

FCSeoul wrote:
OttoSilver wrote:

Choi should have brought a veteran K-League striker like Stevo. Stevo has been a crucial part of Chunnam's offense this season. Not only does he score goals, he creates multiple chances for Chunnam as well.

Or that former Jeju striker, Pedro Junior. He would have been a great addition.

Kevin or Stevo would have seen Seoul challenging for the Championship this year..

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Fairytale Wanderers two steps from Asia's ultimate prize

Little more than two years ago Western Sydney Wanderers had three members of staff and were being run out of a suburban kitchen. This weekend they play for the biggest prize in Asian football.
The fairytale rise of the club has been little short of extraordinary and the Asian Champions League final against Saudi Arabia's Al Hilal could provide a triumphant climax -- to the opening chapters at least.
Coach Tony Popovic, the third man on board, has already led Wanderers to the Australian championship game in their first two A-League seasons but they came up just short on both occasions.
"It does need a happy ending, yeah," Popovic told Reuters this week during a break from preparing his team for Saturday's final first leg at their Parramatta Stadium fortress.
"Well, I wouldn't say happy ending, I'd say 'happy result' for all the hard work that everyone has put in for a little over two years.
"This is the ultimate prize and we can feel it, we know we're close, we're two games away from being the best team in Asia."
Thrown together as an expansion team after the demise of Gold Coast United, Wanderers tapped into the one market in Australia where soccer, so often overshadowed by other football codes, has always been a major player.
The sprawling western suburbs are home to the majority of Sydney's population and have been the spawning ground for the best of Australian football talent, including the likes of Harry Kewell and Tim Cahill...

More here.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Western Sydney Wanderers grab 1-0 Asian Champions League final advantage over Al-Hilal in first leg

64th minute:
Twenty-three-year-old five-game international Juric showed his class to guide the Golec ball past the Al-Hilal keeper, sparking bedlam among the capacity crowd of 20,053.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:36 am

Is this big news in Australia?

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:30 pm

eujin wrote:Is this big news in Australia?

I don't know, as I don't follow Australian news much. However, there are some issues with the away trip.

Only 14 Western Sydney Wanderers fans to travel to Riyadh for ACL final

[*] Red tape and high travel costs to blame for low numbers
[*] Chairman Paul Lederer, who is Jewish, not certain to be on plane

...And of that mini-travelling party, only one female from the A-League’s most passionately supported club will be in attendance.

...Under conservative Saudi law, single women must be in the company of their husband or a male family member to be able to obtain a visa, and a Western Sydney spokesperson confirmed the solitary female Wanderers supporter will make the journey with her father.

Another challenge facing supporters, members of the media and Wanderers management, has been the Saudi practice of denying entry to people with Israeli stamps in their passport, or who are Jewish.

Western Sydney declined to comment on whether their chairman Paul Lederer, who is Jewish, will travel to Riyadh.

Fairfax media reported earlier this month that the Asian Football Confederation may look to arrange a way for Lederer to attend under conditions usually reserved for diplomats.

Which reminds me:

daeguowl wrote:
nzfooty wrote:Al-Sadd (Qatar) 0–0 (Saudi Arabia) Al-Hilal
Al-Hilal won 1–0 on aggregate

Al-Ittihad (Saudi Arabia) 1–3 (United Arab Emirates) Al-Ain
Al-Ain won 5–1 on aggregate

Time to start supporting Al-Ain...it's a pain in the arse to get a Saudi Visa
:sad9:

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:00 pm

nzfooty wrote:I don't know, as I don't follow Australian news much.

You and me may be the only people left reading this thread.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:13 pm

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:I don't know, as I don't follow Australian news much.

You and me may be the only people left reading this thread.

I've been avidly following along, just don't have much to share myself.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:43 am

Personally i think accessibility for away fans should be kne kf the key criteria when deciding allotments for the Champions League.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:37 am

daeguowl wrote:Personally i think accessibility for away fans should be kne kf the key criteria when deciding allotments for the Champions League.

It does sound like Wanderers will get a lot of fans in Saudi, if not at the actual match. Apparently some Saudis have been fans of Western Sydney Wanderers since they were little kids.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/article/wanderers-saudi-popularity-angers-al-hilal-fans/rrnho4r8epl1bum7eglzd38s.

To get a tourist (subclass 600) visa to visit Australia as a Saudi you need to provide:

passport
passport photo
certified English translation of birth certificates of all applicants
certified English translation of records of any military service
certified English translation of evidence of sufficient funds for duration of stay in Australia such as bank account
English language itinerary for stay in Australia
some evidence to show you intend to return home such as a letter from an employer in English
completed application form
330 USD

Several of the links on the Australian Embassy webpage in Riyadh (such as the health and character requirements) are broken. They don't appear to have a webpage in Arabic. It takes about a month to process (according to the immi.gov.au website). There were 25 days between them qualifying for the final and the first leg. Most of the "away" fans in Parramatta for the first leg were students already studying in Australia who were given free tickets by the club.

Actually that all sounds relatively straightforward. One of my Russian colleagues was complaining about getting a UK visa. He needs to put in all the countries he's visited in the last ten years and dates (which is a lot). He used to have this information in a file, but now they have an online system and he needs to do each one individually from a drop-down menu. :smt082 :smt005

Return to “Football in Asia”