2013 J League Cup

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

2013 J League Cup

Postby Spatula City » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Just watched a fantastic cup final between Urawa Reds and Kashiwa Reysol.

Kashiwa come away with some silverware after all this season as a first-half stoppage time header holds up for a 1-0 win.
What really struck me about this game though was the attendance. The stadium was packed to the rafters with not an empty seat in sight. It wasn't neutrals either, it was from what I could tell 65% Urawa Red and 30% Kashiwa Yellow, with a tiny 5% strip between them of neutral gray.

The match was held (as they apparently always are for Cup finals, a la Wembley) in the Tokyo Olympic Stadium. Urawa (based in Saitama) and Kashiwa are both basically extended suburbs of Tokyo. Geographically I figure it would be as if the K League Cup final (assuming we still had one, Ulsan Hyundai Eternal Champions! :P ) were to be contested between Incheon and Suwon at Jamsil.

Do you think even 3,000 would show up for that? According to Wikipedia the attendance for today's game was 46,675, and having watched the game I can attest to the veracity of that figure. Sometimes I do wish I'd stayed in Japan instead of taking the boat to Korea back in 2000...

eujin
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2013 J League Cup

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:48 am

Urawa have been for a while the best supported club in Japan, which is not bad for a team that haven't had an excessive Bayern/Man Utd amount of success.

Big crowds in China too if you're interested. I do know that they were selling knock-down 10,000 won tickets on the door for the AFC final at Jamsil and that was nowhere near full.

Return to “Football in Asia”