2012 AFC CL Group Stage

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2012 AFC CL Group Stage

Postby nzfooty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 pm

TokenAussie wrote:Make that 4-0 after PK! Crazy!

Look on the bright side. In group E:
Adelaide United 1 - 0 Pohang Steelers (FT)

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 pm

Group G

18 April
Nagoya Grampus (Japan) 0-0 (China) Tianjin Teda
Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (South Korea) 5-0 (Australia) Central Coast Mariners

Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma 4 +5 6
Nagoya Grampus 4 +3 6

Tianjin Teda 4 −3 3
Central Coast Mariners 4 -5 3

1 May
Central Coast Mariners (Australia) v (China) Tianjin Teda
Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (South Korea) v (Japan) Nagoya Grampus

15 May
Nagoya Grampus (Japan) v (Australia) Central Coast Mariners
Tianjin Teda (China) v (South Korea) Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:57 pm

nzfooty wrote:Look on the bright side. In group E:

Bummer, and in the last minute too. Pohang missed a couple of great chances and let the side down in what was otherwise a great week for K-League teams.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Seongnam played great....then again...Central Coast seemed to help Seongnam out quite a bit.

What did Central Coast's coach say after losing out on a chance in the grand final? "Round of 16 is more important" ummmmmm Interesting.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 am

Central Coast's Coach responds.

Mariners coach Graham Arnold paid tribute to Seongnam after the match and apologised for his side's performance.

"But there is one very good reason behind our performance," Arnold said.

"We had to play on Saturday night 120 minutes in a finals game, plus a penalty shoot out.

"The older players were quite physically tired because of the heavy schedule and we played with four 19-year-olds and an 18-year-old.

"So yes, I am disappointed with the result but I am very proud of the effort that my players put in after what they have been asked to do.

"It's a difficult task through the season of play to still only have a squad of 23 players, with three youngsters compared to clubs in Korea and Japan that have 35-man squads.

"... It's not an excuse, it's reality. Reality that to perform at international level, it is very difficult to play 120 minutes on Saturday night, travel all day Sunday and play against a very good football team in Seongnam on Wednesday."

And supposedly this coach is desirable? 1. Round of 16 is very important....2. Let's play 18 and 19 year olds....going from a draw....to a 5 goal blow out??? This coach is desirable? Idiot sounds apt.
Last edited by anamerican on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 am

eujin wrote:

Bummer, and in the last minute too. Pohang missed a couple of great chances and let the side down in what was otherwise a great week for K-League teams.

That final away game against the Uzbeks is looking colossal now!

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 am

AnAmerican

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:13 am

sjc_three wrote:
eujin wrote:

That final away game against the Uzbeks is looking colossal now!

Yes. I was rather hoping Gamba would snatch a draw in Uzbekistan. Now Pohang really need three points against Gamba at home and then a favour from Adelaide in their match against Bunyodkur. Needing to go away to Tashkent and win by two clear goals would not be a pretty ask, if it came down to head-to-head.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 am

Group E

18 April
Adelaide United (Australia) 1-0 (South Korea) Pohang Steelers
Bunyodkor (Uzbekistan) 3-2 (Japan) Gamba Osaka

Adelaide United 4 +3 9
Bunyodkor 4 0 6

Pohang Steelers 4 +1 6
Gamba Osaka 4 −4 3

2 May
Adelaide United (Australia) v (Uzbekistan) Bunyodkor
Pohang Steelers (South Korea) v (Japan) Gamba Osaka

16 May
Gamba Osaka (Japan) v (Australia) Adelaide United
Bunyodkor (Uzbekistan) v (South Korea) Pohang Steelers

Roarchild
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Roarchild » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

anamerican wrote:
I'm seeing on Twitter some really angry Brisbane fans. Claiming the REF messed up the match and the HYUNDAI ALEAGUE should drop their sponsor.

I have a lot of Brisbane fans in my twitter feed ...... and a lot I completely ignore.

Not the most balanced lot after a loss, or pretty much any news whatsoever. Even the club choosing new away socks for the youth team would get at least a few outraged.

Roarchild

Postby Roarchild » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:41 pm

anamerican wrote:Central Coast's Coach responds.

Mariners coach Graham Arnold paid tribute to Seongnam after the match and apologised for his side's performance.

"But there is one very good reason behind our performance," Arnold said.

"We had to play on Saturday night 120 minutes in a finals game, plus a penalty shoot out.

"The older players were quite physically tired because of the heavy schedule and we played with four 19-year-olds and an 18-year-old.

"So yes, I am disappointed with the result but I am very proud of the effort that my players put in after what they have been asked to do.

"It's a difficult task through the season of play to still only have a squad of 23 players, with three youngsters compared to clubs in Korea and Japan that have 35-man squads.

"... It's not an excuse, it's reality. Reality that to perform at international level, it is very difficult to play 120 minutes on Saturday night, travel all day Sunday and play against a very good football team in Seongnam on Wednesday."

And supposedly this coach is desirable? 1. Round of 16 is very important....2. Let's play 18 and 19 year olds....going from a draw....to a 5 goal blow out??? This coach is desirable? Idiot sounds apt.

He's always been a **** in the media. He coached Australia at the 2007 Asian cup and people are still embarrassed about his behavior.

I don't get the fuss either as he has done well but isn't worth mega $$$...... he does have mates in the media though but given the club he's linked to haven't offered the $$$ he is expecting perhaps he is not as desirable as his media mates are suggesting.

The comment about playing with teenagers would be a great excuse if they were youth team players who don't usually play but most of them are their best players. The only exception being one of the full backs who was pretty hopeless on the night but it would have been wrong for the coach to single him out.

Ryan, Rogic, Amini and Ibini have all played a lot in the A league. What's really their problem is they sold their best striker and defensive midfielder in January and replaced them with Sutton from the SPL who hasn't fitted in at all. After losing on penalty kicks on the Sunday and now being thrashed out of the ACL the end of their season can't come fast enough.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 am

Though Seongnam scored few spectacular goals, the defense of Central Coast was so terrible to watch.
I would say it is always easy to win ACL group opponents than K-league teams. When Suwon was really bad for last couple of years, they used to beat Chinese, Singaporean and Indonesian , even Japanese teams for fun.
Blue is the color!

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:24 am

I'm confused why Seongnam goes to Australia and draws 1:1. Then two weeks later, the two teams meet again with such different results. The second goal was really cool. The third was from a bad angle. So those two goals were very good in my book, but I agree with others, Central Coast played horrible.
AnAmerican

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 pm

anamerican wrote:I'm confused why Seongnam goes to Australia and draws 1:1. Then two weeks later, the two teams meet again with such different results.

Given how much time it takes to fly between Korean and Australia I imagine that gave the home team a distinct advantage in these fixtures.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

Frontierman

Postby Frontierman » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Adelaide stop this. Not used to it. No more winning for a while okay. :smt110
*******Come on Incheon*******
Adelaide United
Patty Mills is at San Antonio Spurs. Go Patty you little champ.

Return to “Football in Asia”