2012 AFC CL - knockout stages

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Re: 2012 AFC CL - knockout stages

Postby Suwonesque » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 am

Somehow, Uzbek Government support for Bunyodkor is dropped recently, so they are not as good as they were before.
Ulsan to win easily and reach to final!!!
Blue is the color!

Frontierman
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Frontierman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 am

Great run by Adelaide lads. Hope it continues in A-League.
*******Come on Incheon*******
Adelaide United
Patty Mills is at San Antonio Spurs. Go Patty you little champ.

Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

Postby Spatula City » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

Suwonesque wrote:Somehow, Uzbek Government support for Bunyodkor is dropped recently, so they are not as good as they were before.

Where'd you get your information mate? I do hope that's true. I was wondering if any of you football mavens were gonna do a Bunyodkor preview for us less knowledgeable sorts.

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Suwonesque wrote:Somehow, Uzbek Government support for Bunyodkor is dropped recently, so they are not as good as they were before.

Wish it would have dropped before they played Seongnam.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Seongnam are the poster child of teams that are not as good as they were before. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 am

Spatula City wrote:

Where'd you get your information mate? I do hope that's true. I was wondering if any of you football mavens were gonna do a Bunyodkor preview for us less knowledgeable sorts.

I am not talking about the present. I think it was 2 or 3 years ago, when they brought Chelsea outcast manager Luiz Felipe Scolari to manage and Rivaldo to increase the image of the club. Scolari became the highest paid football manager in the world. They also bought several good players from the other Uzbek clubs to make Bunyodkor Barcelona of Asia.
I heard Uzbek dictator-president's daughter was fan of Barca and in pre-season she even brought several Barca players to Tashkent to try to model them.
After one season, they bought Stevo and Denilson from Pohang, after the duo impressed them when they beat Bunyodkor in ACL semifinal in 2009.
Together they won the Uzbek league but I don't remember any memorable success outside.

Then, either dictator's daughter lost interest in football or she didn't want to splash money,( I am not so sure) somehow she gave up funding and sacked Scolari, sent Rivaldo & Denilson home and Stevo to Russian league.
Blue is the color!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 am

The owner who bought Denilson and Suttibo in ended up falling out of favour and is now in jail..

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:40 am

eujin wrote:The owner who bought Denilson and Suttibo in ended up falling out of favour and is now in jail..

As far as I know, nobody can act without dictator's daughter's approval. If the previous owner is in jail, then I would say he was sacrificed.
Blue is the color!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:11 pm

Is it safe to say she's quite the looker for a dictator's daughter; PhD, studied at Harvard (of course), economics professor, Spanish ambassador...

She's probably in to a lot of bad, bad things. :smt113

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 am

eujin wrote:See? The advantage of winning 1-0 at home in the first is, you get an early goal in the second leg, the opponents give up and it's game over. :wink:

ugh... Ulsan put away any argument i might of had... i agree it would be better after they had two flights, also though yours would be more recent, even when games are a week apart. if you can defend at the away pitch, know your opponent, come home to the comfort of you home and support, i think you have a high advantage. i think F ups happen in the first game more often. i'd rather F up at their first then come home and take care of business.

however, the Ulsan 4-0 spanking shuts me up :D

eujin wrote:Is it safe to say she's quite the looker for a dictator's daughter; PhD, studied at Harvard (of course), economics professor, Spanish ambassador...

She's probably in to a lot of bad, bad things. :smt113

fashion police: what the hell is on her head? ribbon or glasses, it looks horrendous...
well well well

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 am

Alex43 wrote:fashion police: what the hell is on her head? ribbon or glasses, it looks horrendous...

Glasses. She's an intellectual you see...

It might be entertaining for some of you to check out this glowing biography from the aptly named Paul Trustfull.

A woman of substance
Gulnara Karimova, daughter of the president of Uzbekistan, possesses charm, class, beauty and elegance as well as a caring sensibility. But these are just some of her natural attributes, and this description doesn’t do justice to who she really is.

Western in manner and dress, with the positive influence of a Harvard education and the global exposure one gets while living in New York, Gulnara is an independent, strong, organized and disciplined woman...However, all these responsibilities notwithstanding, and in addition to being a president’s daughter, Gulnara is a highly caring person who loves her people profoundly and wants all the best for them. And she does it from the heart – not for the fame....

Looking and listening to this visionary during an exclusive interview at Tashkent, I could not help but think that even if she wasn’t a president’s daughter, Gulnara would still be just as successful with whatever she touches and does for the people as she is now.

She is an organizer and patroness of a number of public, cultural and charitable organizations well known not only in Uzbekistan, but acknowledged far across its borders. Mention the words Fund Forum, and immediately it conjures images among Uzbeks of this very intellectual, multitalented and energetic woman. The Forum has become a brand; a trademark and leading public organization in the region connected to and with her.

I bet she could take Kim Jong-il to the cleaners on the golf course too and beat Chuck Norris in the tug o' war. :smt007

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am

In 2009, when Bunyodkor came to Pohang for the second leg of ACL semifinal our own KoreaTimes published a good article about them. It is still worth to read.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/na ... 52700.html

And about the business interests of Uzbek fashion idol, i think Wikipedia has enough to prove:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulnara_Ka ... _Interests

Here is another good article from WikiLeaks:

Wikileaks on Bunyodkor and Pahtakor
The Bunyodkor Football Club has been fraudulently forced to lose to its weaker rival Pahtakor, presumably, because of large bets, according to US diplomatic cables leaked to Wikileaks.

How to make money

The cable, sent on 17 September 2009 by the then US ambassador to Uzbekistan, Richard Norland, and titled " Against All Odds, It's Pahtakor 1-0!" explains Pahtakor's unexpected victory.

Norland wrote that the leading Uzbek team's Brazilian manager Filipe Scolari had told the political economic chief of the embassy of an incident following a match against Bunyodkor's rival Pahtakor.

"Bunyodkor lost 1-0 when most of its Brazilian star power got red cards in the first 10 minutes of play," he wrote.

"The head referee called the coach after the match saying he was very sorry, but that he 'had to feed his family,' explaining that he had received an order from the president of the Uzbek Soccer Federation that
Pahtakor was to win the match 1-0," the cable said.

"The match that Bunyodkor 'lost' was a domestic one, having no effect on the team's prospects for international play, but quite probably having a significant effect on bookies' payouts on the long odds of a Pahtakor win. Few spheres of life in Uzbekistan are immune from the pervasive corruption that plagues this society and sport, in particular, seems subject to its corrosive influence."

The ambassador added background that Bunyodkor, bankrolled by the Uzbek president's eldest daughter Gulnara Karimova, "has been importing Brazilian talent at a dizzying rate of late, supposedly in an effort to become competitive in the Asian League and, in so doing, raise Uzbekistan's profile in the region".

"Pahtakor, meanwhile, is the older of the two teams and plays with an entirely Uzbek lineup," he wrote.

Star hour

Bunyodkor's fast rise is extraordinary and has no previous equivalents in Uzbekistan's history.

The club was set up in 2005 and was initially called Neftgazmontaj-Kuruvchi,

The president of the Football Federation of Uzbekistan, Mirabror Usmanov; photo: goal.uz
or Kuruvchi (Builder), until it was renamed as Bunyodkor (Creator) in August 2008.

Since its founder Neftegazmontaj company was a subsidiary of Zeromax, controlled by Gulnara Karimova, this group of companies sponsored Bunyodkor, with funding from other oil and gas companies.

Money was pumped into the club from 2007 in order to turn it into something like English clubs acquired by Russia billionaires - a champion.

Its best players started coming back and a number of Pahtakor players joined it; Pahtakor was then the country's best club. The club was awash with money, a Football Federation source said.

Soon afterward, the small and little-known club from the impoverished Central Asian country started acquiring global stars, mostly Brazilians, promising them multimillion fees.

As a result, many foreign legionnaires arrived in the club - Rivaldo, Denílson de Oliveira Araújo, João Victor de Albuquerque Bruno, Edson Ramos Silva, José Luis Villanueva Ahumada and others.

In June 2009 Felipe Scolari, who managed the Brazil and Portugal national teams, was appointed to coach the club.

All this had a direct impact on Bunyodkor's success. It was turned into the country's best club very quickly and from 2008 it started winning national championships and in 2008 and 2010 it beat Pahtakor in Uzbekistan's Cup.

Its chief objective was to win in the Asian Champions' League. In 2008 Bunyodkor was close to this aim but lost in the semifinals of this prestigious club tournament.

It lost to Australia's Adelaide, thus making these semifinals its best success.

Deceived stars

The fairytale life of the club did not last long. Zeromax suspended its operations in early 2010, and was officially declared bankrupt in May after which a golden shower poured on Bunyodkor players for almost three years suddenly stopped.

Players pulled out of the club, with the Brazilians being first to leave it after they failed to receive their promised salaries in full.

In May 2010 Felipe Scolari abandoned the club: he was supposed to get paid 13 million euro for his 11-month-long stint at the club, making him one of the best paid managers on Earth.

A few months later, foreign ex-players of the club sued Zeromax in Swiss courts demanding Bunyodkor's sponsor pay their honestly earned money.

Rivaldo's wage arrears were $14.3m, other Brazilians - Denilson and Ramos - were paid $848,000 and $358,000 short.

Brazilian interpreter and therapist also tried to recoup $77,000 Bunyodkor owed them.

It also turned out that Zeromax had failed to pay $1.5m to Brazil's Mogim Mirim club.

Rather alive

Despite all these problems, including the departure of foreign legionnaires and the loss of Uzbek players, Bunyodkor remained afloat and is still the country's leading club.

According to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics, Bunyodkor is 142nd best club in the world, jumping 29 notches (from 171st place).

Its chief rival Pahtakor also moved up from 272nd to 222nd place in the past year.

Uznews.net
Blue is the color!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:15 am

eujin wrote:I bet she could take Kim Jong-il to the cleaners on the golf course too and beat Chuck Norris in the tug o' war. :smt007

If this quote from the piece above is true:

after which a golden shower poured on Bunyodkor players

it does seem like there is no end to the woman's talents. :)
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:17 am

As a result, many foreign legionnaires arrived in the club - Rivaldo, Denílson de Oliveira Araújo, João Victor de Albuquerque Bruno, Edson Ramos Silva, José Luis Villanueva Ahumada and others.

Ole for Denílson de Oliveira Araújo and a journalist who goes to the length to get all the accents right. Not my favourite Denilson in the world but there you go.

I saw a film once about this guy from Kazakhstan who absolutely hated everything to do with Uzbekistan. I can't remember what it was called but just putting that out there. :wink:

SteveW, that's pure gold, a dirty old man's pure gold, but pure gold nonetheless.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:15 am

eujin wrote:I saw a film once about this guy from Kazakhstan who absolutely hated everything to do with Uzbekistan. I can't remember what it was called but just putting that out there. :wink:

Oh, what is the name of the film?

I don't hate them, I like them as a brother nation where in both countries people are suffering from dictatorial and authoritarian rules...
Blue is the color!

Return to “Football in Asia”