2012 AFC CL - knockout stages

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2012 AFC CL - knockout stages

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 pm

The Quarter-final draw:

Al-Ittihad v Guangzhou Evergrande
Sepahan v Al-Ahli
Adelaide United v Bunyodkor

Ulsan Hyundai v Al-Hilal

Ulsan will be at home on September 19th with the away leg probably on October 3rd (maybe 2nd).

These teams had already met in the group stages. The group stage results were:

Sepahan v Al-Ahli (2-1, 1-1)
Adelaide United v Bunyodkor (0-0, 2-1)

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Adelaide are currently 2-1 up at half-time against Bunyodkor, they were 2-0 up but conceded late in the first half and are down to ten men so the second 45 will be tough.

Ulsan are a goal up in their match, Rafinha with the opener after 11 minutes.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 am

Ulsan won 1-0, which is a great result reckon. I've had long and winding discussions (arguments) with people about whether winning the first leg 1-0 at home is better than winning the first leg 1-0 away.

Adelaide conceded another to draw 2-2.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm

eujin wrote:Ulsan won 1-0, which is a great result reckon. I've had long and winding discussions (arguments) with people about whether winning the first leg 1-0 at home is better than winning the first leg 1-0 away.

Adelaide conceded another to draw 2-2.

first leg away is much better, at least you got the away goal. you've seen the team play so you can match them up, you will be at home, which hopefully means more rest than when you were traveling somewhere (esp to the middle east)... am i missing something?
well well well

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Alex43 wrote:first leg away is much better, at least you got the away goal. you've seen the team play so you can match them up, you will be at home, which hopefully means more rest than when you were traveling somewhere (esp to the middle east)... am i missing something?

first leg at home is better because at least you didn't concede an away goal. Get a goal in the away leg and you're almost through, so the home side have to attack but also keep it tight at the back. You could go 1-0 up at home in the second leg, so 2-0 on aggregate, think you're cruising, then they get a lucky goal and suddenly you bottle it (happens quite often). Second legs tend to be a bit more open anyway as teams go for the win, so it's better to be racking up the away goals in the second leg. 1-0 is quite a low scoring match on average, so you'd rather that happens at home than away. With the long distance flying, come the second leg, they'll have two transcontinental flights in them, while you'll only have one - particularly important when the legs are only a week apart like the semis.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:43 am

eujin wrote:
Alex43 wrote:first leg away is much better, at least you got the away goal. you've seen the team play so you can match them up, you will be at home, which hopefully means more rest than when you were traveling somewhere (esp to the middle east)... am i missing something?

first leg at home is better because at least you didn't concede an away goal. Get a goal in the away leg and you're almost through, so the home side have to attack but also keep it tight at the back. You could go 1-0 up at home in the second leg, so 2-0 on aggregate, think you're cruising, then they get a lucky goal and suddenly you bottle it (happens quite often). Second legs tend to be a bit more open anyway as teams go for the win, so it's better to be racking up the away goals in the second leg. 1-0 is quite a low scoring match on average, so you'd rather that happens at home than away. With the long distance flying, come the second leg, they'll have two transcontinental flights in them, while you'll only have one - particularly important when the legs are only a week apart like the semis.

I've always thought I would rather have the away leg second for the reasons you give, but I'd much rather have a 1-0 away win in the bag than a home win of the same score.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 am

Quite comfortable in the end for Ulsan as they won 4-0 away today and have gone through 5-0 on aggregate. Guangzhou Evergrande and Adelaide United came close to progressing but both lost 5-4 on aggregate, Adelaide bowing out to a goal six minutes from the end of extra time in their second leg tie.

AFC Champions League Quarter-final Second Leg Results
Guangzhou Evergrande 2-1 Al-Ittihad (4-5 aggregate)
Al-Ahli 4-1 Sepahan (4-1 aggregate)
Bunyodkor 3-2 (aet) Adelaide United (5-4 aggregate)
Al-Hilal 0-4 Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i (0-5 aggregate)

Semi-finals First Leg (Oct 24)
Al-Ittihad v Al-Ahli
Bunyodkor v Ulsan

Semi-finals Second Leg (Oct 31)
Al-Ahli v Al-Ittihad
Ulsan v Bunyodkor

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:48 am

See? The advantage of winning 1-0 at home in the first is, you get an early goal in the second leg, the opponents give up and it's game over. :wink:

Surprised to see both Adelaide and Evergrander going out. Is the balance of power starting to shift back west?

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 am

I thought the big spending Evergrand with the coach was supposed to win it all.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Has it been announced which side of the semis will host the final? Hoping (obviously) it's Ulsan's.

willamangiro
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby willamangiro » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:57 pm

sjc_three wrote:Has it been announced which side of the semis will host the final? Hoping (obviously) it's Ulsan's.

Yeah its Ulsan who will host the final if they get through. I really hope they do, I quite fancy watching an ACL final without having to fly abroad :)
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 pm

:)

anamerican
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby anamerican » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 am

Tokyo had that lame running track. Jeonju last year and Ulsan this year would be two decent stadiums for the final.

Which afc executive would like a final in tancheon or some other small stadium? Money money money.
AnAmerican
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

willamangiro

Postby willamangiro » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

anamerican wrote:Tokyo had that lame running track. Jeonju last year and Ulsan this year would be two decent stadiums for the final.

Which afc executive would like a final in tancheon or some other small stadium? Money money money.

Yeah, Ulsan impressed me as a venue; remarkably European (like the Italian 1990 WC 'bowl' stadiums) in style, and I could imagine that you'd get a decent atmosphere if the place gets full- no idea how full it would get for an ACL final though.

Still, the small matter of getting past Bunyodkor first. I did think that Al Hilal would be their toughest test to get to the final, so im confident they'll get there, but to be honest I know very little about Bunyodkor- can anyone enlighten me as to what theyre like nowadays?

The FA Cup final in Pohang, and an ACL final in Ulsan in the space of 20 days of so....that'll (hopefully) be a great month of live football :D
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Bunyodkur are a decent side, perhaps not as dangerous as when they had Rivaldo, Denilson and Suttibo all playing but they still spread the goals around. Their Aussie player, David Carney, has just been dropped by the Socceroos after he was blamed for their loss to Jordan and he didn't play against Adelaide either. They're a bit of a bogey team for Korean sides having already knocked out Pohang and Seongnam this year with a record of played three won three and Tashkent is always a tough place for Korean sides to go and play. In fact I'm wondering if a Korean side has ever won there. Both North Korea and South Korea played there in the World Cup qualifiers this season and only managed a point between them.

Return to “Football in Asia”