A Visit to Muangthong United in the Thai Premier League

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
mathteacher
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

A Visit to Muangthong United in the Thai Premier League

Postby mathteacher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 am

This week is my international school's spring break, so I decided to get warm and visit Thailand (I also have to be here for a conference the 27-31st). I decided that it would be nice to take in a soccer game. Through advice of thaileaguefootball.com I decided to go to the Muangthong United vs. Thai Port FC at the SGC Stadium (formerly known as the thunderdome). With the help of the concierge of my hotel, I got a map to give to the taxi driver and he took me out to the stadium (a drive that can range from 30-60 minutes depending of traffic). Total taxi and tolls out to the stadium was about 300 Baht. I decided to get some of the more expensive tickets (200 Baht) and that put me 2nd row right behind the home bench. The atmosphere in the stadium was awesome. I expect that is what it is like to see a game in Europe (I have never been to a game in Europe), Seoul-Suwon comes close to it. One of the more interesting things is that the crowd sang some Hymn style song for the team, after the tribute to the king ended that lasted until just after kickoff. As for the game MTUtd won 5-1 and could have easily scored 4 more. Our section tried to get the coach to put in the new North Korean player that they introduced Ri Kwang-Chon but he did not put him in. Interestingly they now have 2 North Korean players, I wonder if North Korea is starting to ship out their international players more so that they might get better and qualify for Russa. They away fans were not happy at the end and there was a 8 minute break as they had to send police into the section to keep them from throwing bottle and cups into the upper deck where home fans must have been taunting them. That was quite interesting. The taxi back to my hotel was rather easy to get (this was my biggest worry), I did pay more (300 + 75 in tolls) but still not too bad. Below are pictures from my iPhone
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28
By arndtk at 2012-03-28

Roarchild
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Re: A Visit to Muangthong United in the Thai Premier League

Postby Roarchild » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 am

mathteacher wrote: Our section tried to get the coach to put in the new North Korean player that they introduced Ri Kwang-Chon but he did not put him in. Interestingly they now have 2 North Korean players, I wonder if North Korea is starting to ship out their international players more so that they might get better and qualify for Russa.

I would be surprised if "hard currency" isn't the real motivation :)

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 am

Atmosphere looks great with all the scarves, etc!

Which international school are you teaching in, incidently? I'm at the one in Busan - also teaching Maths!

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:56 am

Fantastic pictures, looks brilliant.

Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

Postby Spatula City » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Evergreen wrote:Fantastic pictures, looks brilliant.

x2, thanks for sharing them!
I wish Ulsan crowds were anything like that. My best crowd experience was at El Super Clasico in Guadalajara, Mexico around 2003 or so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_S%C3%BAper_Cl%C3%A1sico_(Mexico)
100,000+ crazy Chivas fans and several thousand brave America fans filling out Guadalajara's 1970/1986 World Cup stadium (complete with a statue of Pele out front) there's so much sound and vibration it's like a low level earthquake is happening for two hours! Unforgettable!

mathteacher
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby mathteacher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Which international school are you teaching in, incidently? I'm at the one in Busan - also teaching Maths!

I teach at the one in Suwon

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah nice photos. Any idea if that attendance was a one-off or is that the usual kind of crowds they get for home matches? Looks like a nice wee venue too.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:55 pm

mathteacher wrote:

I teach at the one in Suwon

Nice. I'm guessing that makes you a Bluewings fan! Great city though, Suwon. Been there a few times now. Really like it. Had a couple of questions re school - will pm you to avoid boring everyone else with work related stuff!

wolfman

Postby wolfman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 am

Holyjoe wrote:Yeah nice photos. Any idea if that attendance was a one-off or is that the usual kind of crowds they get for home matches? Looks like a nice wee venue too.

Muang Thong attendances probably average at least 10,000 mark from memory.
Using a more reliable source than my memory reveals their home attendances this season have been 26,700 (opening day), 15,600 (vs Port), 16,800, & 14,800.

Return to “Football in Asia”