2011 AFC CL - knockout stages

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2011 AFC CL - knockout stages

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Very nearly a Man Utd 1999 ending there, Kim Dong-chan just couldn't quite connect.

Hope they sort things out and steamroller them in extra time..

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Penalties it is... come on Jeonbuk :alien:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:42 pm

What a shit penalty...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Nice one Lee Jung-soo, even worse :)

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Damn it... Al-Sadd win 4-2 on penalties.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Undeserved win for Al-Sadd. Feel sorry for Jeonbuk.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Football.

The beautiful game.
Anyang Fo' Life

Perth_Tom
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Perth_Tom » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

It was a great final. I'm pretty devo about the result. Goodness knows how Jeonbuk must feel. They had so many chances to win it in regular and then extra time.

It would have been great for Jeonbuk to represent Asia in the Club World Championship. They represent the positive, fluent, attractive style of play that is coming out of the Eastern side of the AFC (Japan, Korea, Australia NTs in particular). Al Sadd have got their good qualities as well but they aren't a very attractive team to watch. Jeonbuk missed a big chance to show the world how well Asian teams can play.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:31 pm

I didn't travel to down to see the final today. As Al-Sadd beat Suwon already, if they beat Jeonbuk, it hurts more. I just can't swallow it..

Today Jeonbuk hit the post 5-6 times, that shows again how lucky Al-Sadd are.

Now, who says there is no football in Qatar, their club become Asian Champions! :)

Qatari & Middle East teams' domination in Asian Champions League may start from now with their BIG MONEY signing whereas Japan, Aus, and Korea loosing their best players to Europe and Middle East leagues.

Al-Sadd signed Niang for around 8 million USD and no club in K-League could afford that. Another UAE club has signed EPL-er Asamoh Gyan, and that may continue.
Blue is the color!

Perth_Tom
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Perth_Tom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:50 am

I expect Qatar will set up an academy for young Arabic/African (not exclusive to them, but this is where most players will come from) footballers with the view to bringing them through the Qatar League and then into the Qatar NT in time for the 2022 World Cup. They will obviously want to be a force at their own World Cup. The recruitment process will start soon.

theglobalgnome
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby theglobalgnome » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:35 am

Gutted for Jeonbuk. Leapt off the sofa when the equaliser went in and was sure they'd go on to win in ET. Al Sadd keeper was great in the 120 minutes and the second penalty save was pretty decent. Their out-field players took some fine penalties, particularly in light of all that cramp :smt102

Perth_Tom wrote:It would have been great for Jeonbuk to represent Asia in the Club World Championship. They represent the positive, fluent, attractive style of play that is coming out of the Eastern side of the AFC (Japan, Korea, Australia NTs in particular). Al Sadd have got their good qualities as well but they aren't a very attractive team to watch. Jeonbuk missed a big chance to show the world how well Asian teams can play.

Well said.

Perth_Tom wrote:I expect Qatar will set up an academy for young Arabic/African

They're way ahead of you. The lads from the Aspire Academy battered Manchester United (and others) while winning the Milk Cup this summer.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Jeonbuk were pretty unlucky especially Jeong Seong-hun, a player I always liked when he was at Busan, but he's always been a bit unlucky for a striker. Perhaps it's those faces he pulls when he misses. Al Sadd were well organised in defence, deadly on the counter-attack and Jeonbuk played into it really. When Eninho's freekick went in early on, a lot of people were probably thinking they'd go on and win by two or three, but Al Sadd didn't buckle under the pressure. I reckon their experiences in Suwon did them a lot of good in welding a team spirit from hired guns who are only there for the money. The commentator on al Jazeera wasn't exactly trying to be impartial, giving it Allah this and Allah that. I was reminded of the old Norwegian commentator when he slipped in a "bye bye Korea". Still, with Al Sadd coach Fossatti pointing upwards a few times I was beginning to think maybe the Big Guy in the sky isn't just a Seoul Martyrs fan. With hindsight Jeonbuk were doomed as soon as the boys on Outside View discussed Jeonbuk favourably against the greatest Korean teams without once mentioning the 2009 Pohang side. One upside for Jeonbuk fans is that now they'll be more focused on the K-League playoff.

The atmosphere came across very well on the TV. It would be interesting to hear how people at the game experienced it. For me in the end a great show, an exciting game and a classic smash and grab by the away team.

Perth_Tom wrote: Al Sadd got on the scoresheet courtesy of an own goal. Knowing their luck, they'll hang on for extra time and then win it on penalties :smt093 :smt093 :smt093

FIX!!!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:47 pm

I can confirm the atmosphere was brilliant last night. :-)

Due to a combination of factors (including me being ridicuosly optimistic about travel times on a Saturday afternoon) we didn't actually leave the bus station area until 40 minutes before kick off. Got a taxi up no problem and Jeonbuk had very kindly catered for people who think you can turn up fifteen minutes before a big game, buy a ticket, get some beer and still be seated for kick off as that is exactly what we did.

Big crowd, everyone behind Jeonju from the off and result aside, a really enjoyable game. Thought that Jeonbuk were going to stuff them, thought the keeper was suspect (mainly because I never like a keeper who doesn't catch the ball). At 1-0 up I thought it was a question of how many. Still think Al-Sadd were lucky to win it, but when it went to a penalty shootout it was inevitable they would. Still at least I wasn't the only one who was overconfident of a Jeonbuk win.

Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I'd still love to know what becomes of all the T-shirts and banners that clubs invariably produce ahead of cup finals when the team loses. You can guarantee Jeonbuk had printed one set of "Asian Champions 2011" T-shirts for the entire first team squad and at least one whopping great big banner to pose for photos with. If they're smart then they'll have left "Asian" out of it and could therefore hang on to them in case they need them on December 4th...

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Holyjoe wrote:I'd still love to know what becomes of all the T-shirts and banners that clubs invariably produce ahead of cup finals when the team loses. You can guarantee Jeonbuk had printed one set of "Asian Champions 2011" T-shirts for the entire first team squad and at least one whopping great big banner to pose for photos with. If they're smart then they'll have left "Asian" out of it and could therefore hang on to them in case they need them on December 4th...

Saw this after the World Series
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201110/where-does-world-series-runner-gear-go

Collectors' items, no doubt.

Return to “Football in Asia”