J.League 2011

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: J.League 2011

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:50 pm

It doesn't look as though Jade North has been playing in this tournament - his squad number is 36 according to Wikipedia and no number 36 featured for FC Tokyo in their Emperor's Cup matches.

Did he do the old Sasa Drakulic trick of pissing off home for his Christmas holidays and not bothering to play in the post-season cup competition?

That reserve league medal still reigns supreme in his collection then, hurrah.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 am

I watched this match (first time in a few years that I've sat through a Japanese club match), and it was very enjoyable. (Generally) excellent passing, very fast-paced. FC Tokyo should do well in the J1 next season.

Kyoto's Korean player, Jung Woo-young, has taken over the role of free kicks and corners for the team. His corner was headed in for Kyoto's second goal; and a curling, 25-yard spot kick almost went in for a Kyoto third. He's just 22 years old, and this is his first professional season. I'd expect him to be playing for a bigger club (possibly in Europe) within a couple of years.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:38 am

Ooops... apologies for assuming that about North without checking first. Though not the worst of my fire water inspired posts over the recent break... :oops:

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 am

North only appears to have played four times for FC Tokyo in the whole of 2011 - found this recent interview on his time with the club before his move to Consadole Sapporo earlier this week which explains why:

North, who joined the club just before the start of the J2 season from Wellington Phoenix, arrived as a back-up central defender.

Yet with Tokyo’s awesome central defensive unit of Yasuyuki Konno and Masato Morishige in regal form, it’s restricted North to just a handful of appearances for the “Gas Men”.

But that hasn’t taken away from the joy North has had in the highly professional Japanese football system under FC coach Kiyoshi Okuma.

“It’s been an enjoyable season. I didn’t play that much but being FC Tokyo, the team that we are, we absolutely dominated the league,” said the former Newcastle Jets, Incheon United and Perth Glory player.

“Two of the boys in my position, one’s in the Japanese national team and the other boy, he is just as good as him and he’s younger.

“These are two boys that’d start in any J1 side. Usually you get a chance with suspension or injuries but in this case the boys they’ve not been injured at all!”

The contrast in what he goes on to say about his time at FC Tokyo with what he said two years ago about his time at Incheon is striking:

On FC Tokyo:
“I knew from day one it was always going to be tough to play," he said. “But this is a club where even if you’re not playing you just enjoy going to training because of the set up and the facilities.

“And I’m very well respected at the club as well from the coaching staff and players. Now that I’ve seen how professional things are here in Japan, it’s unbelievable.

“I’d love to stay in Japan.”

On Incheon United:
"They like to look after their own over there. It's hard when you're a foreigner. In my team they expect a helluva lot from their foreign boys. We have a lot of pressure on us.

"I can be chopped and changed all the time. That's their way, their style. One week it's two changes, next week five changes. You never know where you stand in the team. It's frustrating.

"They went unbeaten for quite a few consecutive games so I was out of favour again... there is the language barrier too with communication throughout the club. And we train on dirt pitches. It was a bit of a shock when I first got there."

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:00 am

Japan striker Tadanari Lee granted work permit for Southampton

Southampton have been successful in their appeal to gain a work permit for Japanese striker Tadanari Lee.

Saints were initially refused a permit for the 26-year-old, but the decision was overturned at a Football Association appeal meeting.

Lee, who currently plays for Sanfrecce Hiroshima in the J-League, will now fly back to England to complete his move to the Championship leaders.

He will become the first Japanese player to sign for Southampton.

Born to Korean parents in Tokyo, Lee scored the winning goal against Australia as Japan lifted a record fourth Asian Cup last year.

He trained with Southampton last week, while the club were applying for a permit.

Return to “Football in Asia”