2013 East Asian Football Championship

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

2013 East Asian Football Championship

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 pm

East Asian championship set to be switched to 2013
Friday 20th August
TOKYO —
The 2012 East Asian championship scheduled to be held in South Korea could be moved to Aug. 2013, and then held every other year from then on, Japan Football Association President Junji Ogura said Thursday. The move is set to be discussed at an East Asian Football Federation general assembly next Tuesday.
The biennial tournament is rotated between Japan, which held the 2010 edition, South Korea and China. The aim of the tournament is to strengthen the senior national teams of the competing nations and the proposal to switch the next championship to 2013 was made so that countries would not field their Under-23 teams to prepare for the 2012 London Olympics.

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Re: East Asian Football Championship 2013

Postby nzfooty » Sat May 19, 2012 12:27 am

Preliminary Competition

The preliminary competition will be hosted by Guam between 17 – 22 July, 2012.
Teams: Guam, Macau, Northern Mariana Islands
Suspended: Mongolia

Semi-final Competition

The semi-final competition will be held in Hong Kong between 5 - 9 December, 2012
Teams: Taiwan, Hong Kong, North Korea, Preliminary Competition winner

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:52 am

Aussies accept EAFF invitation
Thursday, 30 August 2012

Sydney: Australia's men's and women's teams will participate in the East Asian Football Federation (EAFF) East Asia Cup 2013 the Football Federation of Australia confirmed on Wednesday.

The Socceroos will play in the qualifiers for the men's edition of the EAFF East Asia Cup 2013 which will be played in Hong Kong from December 1 to 9 and in addition to the 2011 AFC Asian Cup runners-up and the qualifying tournament hosts will feature Chinese Taipei, Guam and DPR Korea, who booked their ticket to the 2015 AFC Asian Cup in Australia having won the AFC Challenge Cup in Nepal back in March.

The qualifiers for the Women's EAFF East Asia Cup 2013 will be held in Shenzhen from November 20 to 24, with the 2010 AFC Women's Asian Cup champions facing hosts China, Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong.

The EAFF East Asia Cup is a four-team tournament for Men & Women which is held every four years rotating between Japan, Korea Republic & China as the host nation.

The teams that will participate in the EAFF East Asia Cup for men are Japan, Korea Republic and China with a fourth team determined by a qualification process. For the women, the final tournament will involve Japan, Korea Republic, DPR Korea plus one team from the Round 2 Qualifying Tournament.

The Men's and Women's EAFF East Asia Cup 2013 will be held concurrently in Seoul, Korea Republic from July 20 to 28, 2013.

FFA CEO Ben Buckley said that Australia's presence at the EAFF East Asia Cup 2013 will be of great benefit to football in Australia and the region.

"The East Asian championship is a great opportunity for Australian football," he said.

"Our participation will enrich Australia's engagement with the fastest growing football region in Asia, including Japan, South Korea and China.

"Emerging Socceroos and Matildas will get the chance to gain valuable international experience, especially those who play in the A-League and W-League.

"The commercial opportunities are also important, so this will help Australian football at many levels."

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 am

Not looking too good for the Aussies and their hopes of qualifying for this then:

Socceroos held by North Korea
December 06 2012

AUSTRALIA'S hopes of progressing to next year's East Asian Cup hang in the balance after a 1-1 draw with North Korea.

The Socceroos must now attempt to better North Korea's superior goal difference in their final two matches against Guam and Tawian and hope Hong Kong don't let the Koreans add too many more to their tally when they meet on Friday.

Archie Thompson put Australia in front on the fifth minute but North Korea replied with a goal from J-League star An Yong Hak in the second half.

Coach Holger Osieck made only one change in the line-up that played hosts Hong Kong, handing Central Coast Mariners goalkeeper Matt Ryan his maiden cap in place of Eugene Galekovic.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 pm

The Aussies get to see how many goals they need as their match is after North Korea's. But they're not really built for scoring bags of goals like back when they were in Oceania, although I expect poor Guam are going to get pounded tomorrow. The hosts Hong Kong need other results to go their way but they could still easily take points off the North Koreans.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:12 pm

The Aussies have got there in the end, their 8-0 win over Guam today boosting their goal difference enough to finish ahead of North Korea who beat Hong Kong 4-0.

Australia 10pts (F 19 A1 GD +18)
----------------------------------
North Korea 10pts (F16 A2 GD +14)
Hong Kong 6pts (F4 A6 GD -2)
Taiwan 1pt (F2 A17 GD -15)
Guam 1pt (F2 A17 GD -15)

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Dang, I really wanted North Korea to go thru. Ah well, shall be an interesting EAFF Cup!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:01 am

Holyjoe wrote:The Aussies have got there in the end, their 8-0 win over Guam today boosting their goal difference enough to finish ahead of North Korea who beat Hong Kong 4-0.

Australia 10pts (F 19 A1 GD +18)
----------------------------------
North Korea 10pts (F16 A2 GD +14)
Hong Kong 6pts (F4 A6 GD -2)
Taiwan 1pt (F2 A17 GD -15)
Guam 1pt (F2 A17 GD -15)

9-0 against Guam. The 8-0 was against Taiwan and three of those goals were "just for fun" after they knew what result they needed. It says on goal.com that they started the match against Guam with only one striker (Eli Babalj) and a further two on the bench. Can anyone confirm if that is really what happened? I can't say it didn't work though, so congrats to the Aussies. It looks like they coasted the goal difference in the end.

willamangiro
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi
Sojued-up touchline ajosshi

Postby willamangiro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:39 am

Does anyone know any more details about the final stages of this tornament? Am I right in saying its going to be held in Korea? Theres very little about it online really, but I wouldn't mind getting to a few of the games.
http://www.kleaguefootball.com ; The unofficial English language home of Korean K-League football. Articles, News and Podcast. Follow on twitter or facebook at http://www.twitter.com/kleaguefootball or http://www.facebook.com/kleaguefootball

Roarchild
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Roarchild » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:13 pm

eujin wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:
9-0 against Guam. The 8-0 was against Taiwan and three of those goals were "just for fun" after they knew what result they needed. It says on goal.com that they started the match against Guam with only one striker (Eli Babalj) and a further two on the bench. Can anyone confirm if that is really what happened? I can't say it didn't work though, so congrats to the Aussies. It looks like they coasted the goal difference in the end.

That's what happened....later he brought on another striker BUT took of the existing striker so the entire game was played with one striker.

In fact the entire tournament we only played one striker and one support midfielder. Our coach seems only capable of like for like substitutions :(

He also started with two holders who usually play as central defenders for their club in both the first two games. Kept that formation even when we were 8 minutes away from drawing with Hong Kong. Thankfully played an actual central midfielder in one of those spots for the last two games.
Also with such a compact schedule you would think substitutions would be important but he only made late subs and against North Korea didn't even use all 3.

So we qualified which is fantastic for me (3 Socceroos games in Korea) but I have lost faith in the coach.

It could be worse though, could have the North Korean coach. Against Australia he made an early substitution, then later subbed of the sub and his final substitution was taking of that sub!!!! Basically used all 3 subs on the one position.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Venues have still to be confirmed but the dates and times for both the mens and womens competitions have been confirmed:

<남자부>

7월 20일 (토) : 한국 vs 호주 (19시)
7월 21일 (일) : 일본 vs 중국 (21시)
7월 24일 (수) : 한국 vs 중국 (20시)
7월 25일 (목) : 일본 vs 호주 (20시)
7월 28일 (일) : 호주 vs 중국 (17시 15분)
7월 28일 (일) : 한국 vs 일본 (20시)
(장소는 모두 미정)

<여자부>

7월 20일 (토) : 일본 vs 중국 (16시 15분)
7월 21일 (일) : 한국 vs 북한 (18시 15분)
7월 24일 (수) : 한국 vs 중국 (17시 15분)
7월 25일 (목) : 일본 vs 북한 (17시 15분)
7월 27일 (토) : 북한 vs 중국 (17시 15분)
7월 27일 (토) : 한국 vs 일본 (20시)
(장소는 모두 미정)

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 pm

Top drawer, look forward to getting to some of them now that I'll (fingers crossed) no longer be working evenings or Saturdays after 2 years of almost no football! Shame there's no South v North fixtures in the men's, but I'll try to get to the women's one.

Wonder where it will be? Hwaseong?!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm assuming that they are going to be double headers with the women on first and the men after (for the first four games at least).

Get them played at Muju! :)
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Venues are now confirmed for this, four games at Sangam and two in Hwaseong:

한국 vs 호주 (7/20 [토] 19:00 화성)
일본 vs 중국 (7/21 [일] 21:00 화성)
한국 vs 중국 (7/24 [수] 20:00 서울)
일본 vs 호주 (7/25 [목] 20:00 서울)
호주 vs 중국 (7/28 [일] 17:15 서울)
한국 vs 일본 (7/28 [일] 20:00 서울)

geu-nyang
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby geu-nyang » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:47 pm

That is really disappointing that the opening game is at Hwaseong, especially considering it is meant to be based only in Seoul. Hwaseong has to be the most annoying stadium to get to. I went to the last aussie game there... Anyway, I know it is a while off, but I just wanted to let users know that I organised the last two Australia games here- Hwaseong (like 10 people came) and at World Cup Stadium (about 100 came)

I will post some more info later about groups, getting tickets together and support from Football Australia- last time they sent me some huge banners, so hopefully they will do so again.

Return to “Football in Asia”