North Koreans abroad

AFC Champions League, Asian Cup, and everything else domestic and international.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: North Koreans abroad

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Pikey wrote:Who would the two teams be? I'd imagine a little bit of cash would be involved. Jeonbuk? Suwon?

Suwon and Ulsan according to this article.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Ahn Yong-hak could be on the move to Spain, his contract with Kashiwa Reysol has been terminated and he's currently on trial with Spanish second division side CE Sabadell.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Hmm... chances of this one happening would be pretty slim. Other stories linking Jong with sides such as PSV Eindhoven, Trabzonspor and Partizan Belgrade. None of those four are Swiss second division clubs.

Newcastle eyeing North Korea sensation Jong Il-Gwan
June 7 2012

Newcastle United are weighing up a move for North Korea international striker Jong Il-Gwan.

The Rimyongsu forward is being linked with Newcastle, PSV Eindhoven and Partizan Belgrade as he prepares for a move to Europe.

Toon chief scout Graham Carr has been keeping tabs on Il-Gwan since his hat-trick for North Korea in the Asian Youth Championship against Australia.

Now a regular for the North Korean first team, winning his first of 10 caps in 2010, he wants to follow in the steps of his close friend and fellow striker Pak Kwang-Ryong. Kwang-Ryong joined FC Basel in June last year and became the first North Korean to play in the Champions League, making several appearences including against Manchester United.

"I've spoken with Pak many times about Europe," said Il-Gwan. "He told me it's a great experience but also a challenge. However, I think I have the quality to make the step up. I want to play in European competition, it would be a dream come true for me."

A year and a half on from initial links with a move to Europe, Jong has been invited over on trial by Partizan Belgrade with a view to a permanent move there that would see him still able to participate in all of North Korea's international matches. Partizan have got a training camp lined up in January wouldn't be surprised to find that's somewhere in Cyprus, Turkey or Spain where a lot of the K-League clubs go for their pre-season warm-ups so he could end up playing against a couple of K1 sides if so.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Ahn Yong-hak could be on the move to Spain, his contract with Kashiwa Reysol has been terminated and he's currently on trial with Spanish second division side CE Sabadell.

Ahn didn't play football at all in 2013 but he's just signed a deal to join J2 side Yokohama FC.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:05 pm

No point bumping a 2013 transfer thread to note this, but back in the summer of 2013 the Korea Internet Media Association had filed a notice of complaint to the Suwon prosecutors' office accusing Jong Tae-se of violating the National Security Law by voicing his support for North Korea whilst playing in South Korea for Suwon. Anyway it would appear that, after an extremely long time, that this complaint against him has been dismissed and they've determined he's not a national security risk.

Return to “Football in Asia”