South Korea v Oman (10/1/15, Asian Cup in Canberra)

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

South Korea v Oman (10/1/15, Asian Cup in Canberra)

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 pm

10 January 2015
Canberra Stadium, Canberra, 4 pm local time
South Korea v Oman

Soccerway shows only two head-to-head matches but there were also two friendlies played in addition to that. Korea's record against Oman is:
P4 3-0-1 9:4 +5 75.00%

General pages:
Official site
Wiki

The Korea Herald
The Korea Times (link to general sport page)
Yonhap sports page

Goal.com
The Guardian
ABC
The Sydney Morning Herald / Brisbane Times
Asian Cup 2015: Interactive country-by-country guide (The Age)

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: South Korea v Oman (10/1/15, Asian Cup in Canberra)

Postby SteveW » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Should be a relatively straightforward one for Korea... 2-0 I predict.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Could be even worse if they play the way they did against China on Saturday, losing 4-1.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Oh, btw it looks like this match (along with quite a few others) will be shown on Bet365.com (at least in NZ).

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 pm

im surprised to see so many games in canberra.... it's in the middle of nowhere and even aussies dont go there. i didnt see a stadium when i passed through, just mountains, a war museum, and the YHA i stayed at... those games would be attended by a lot less than newcastle or brisbane i am sure. korea not getting a sydney game is horrible in terms of getting a 'home crowd'.
well well well

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Alex43 wrote:im surprised to see so many games in canberra.... it's in the middle of nowhere and even aussies dont go there. i didnt see a stadium when i passed through, just mountains, a war museum, and the YHA i stayed at... those games would be attended by a lot less than newcastle or brisbane i am sure. korea not getting a sydney game is horrible in terms of getting a 'home crowd'.

Good points, and there is an article that I saw today that brings up the same issue. A wee excerpt below:

However, the divvy-up of games between the major cities before the draw occurred hasn’t helped. Instead of being able to strategically place games where there are large Asian communities, games have simply been allocated at random.

Take China as an example. When they qualified for the tournament, a collective sigh of relief swept around the offices of the LOC. People of Chinese descent form a sizeable percentage of Australia’s migrant population, and it was expected they would makes the turnstiles click. However, China has been allocated two games in Brisbane and one game in Canberra during the group stages. This is disingenuous – there are huge numbers of Chinese in Sydney and Melbourne, and although community ambassadors have done plenty of work in the Chinese community in Queensland, it’s unlikely they are going to get the same numbers as they would in Sydney and Melbourne. Meanwhile, North Korea will play Uzbekistan in Sydney, and in truth organisers will probably be lucky to sell 5000 of the 80,000 tickets on offer.

Canberra is another issue. The city will host six games in the group stage, and one quarter final fixture. Anyone who knows Canberra will realise the folly of hosting any event there in January...

Asian Cup 2015: Australia's immigrants hold the key to tournament's success

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Didn't see the game as I went out, but my Korean friend didn't know anything about this tournament.

1-0 it finished to Korea with (Cho Young Cheol 45' +1')
John Durden (click below for the full write-up) made the following main observations:
Once again, South Korea fail to kill off a game in Asian Cup

So far, so good for South Korea as they chase their first AFC Asian Cup title in more than half a century. Here are three points to come out of their 1-0 victory over Oman in Canberra in their opening match in Group A.

1. A win but South Korea need to improve
[...]
2. Goal changed everything for Oman
[...]
3. An encouraging start for Canberra
The rain, which arrived 90 minutes before kickoff, didn't help, and the compact Canberra Stadium was never going to sell out. 12,552 was the official attendance in a half-full stadium where Korean fans vastly outnumbered their Omani counterparts. But they were still in the minority compared to the curious neutrals, who produced a lively atmosphere...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Game was fairly meh.

Korea had all the possession but had no clue how to create a chance. Wasted a lot of good positions. 1-0 was a shaky lead and they could have lost it at the end.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Well if today has proved anything it's that there isn't much strength in depth in Asian football - Group B is dreadful.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:53 pm

SteveW wrote:Well if today has proved anything it's that there isn't much strength in depth in Asian football - Group B is dreadful.

Didn't see the North Korea match. China v Saudi Arabia had its moments but was low on quality. No one in group B that should trouble Sth Korea / Australia?

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 am

nzfooty wrote:
SteveW wrote:Well if today has proved anything it's that there isn't much strength in depth in Asian football - Group B is dreadful.

Didn't see the North Korea match. China v Saudi Arabia had its moments but was low on quality. No one in group B that should trouble Sth Korea / Australia?

South Korea don't look like they're going to score a lot of goals so I think anyone could trouble them in a knock-out match. North Korea started to wilt towards the end against Uzbekistan but they came to within a great reflex save from getting a point right at the end.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 am

So Asian football is shite... some of these teams look absolutely hopeless, yes I'm looking at you Qatar!

Australia are as good as in the semis already, while Korea should be good enough to join them.

Iran look solid and barring anything special in Group D seem to be contenders.

Waiting to get a look at Japan today but to be honest won't learn much in what should be a walkover vs Palestine.

The standard overall is really poor though. None of these teams would win the SPFL I reckon. Bizarre given how much it would probably cost to buy some of the squads.

What's the Korea team worth? £30m?

eujin
K-League K-Pop stalker
K-League K-Pop stalker

Postby eujin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:43 pm

SteveW wrote:The standard overall is really poor though. None of these teams would win the SPFL I reckon. Bizarre given how much it would probably cost to buy some of the squads.

What's the Korea team worth? £30m?

Transfermarkt has estimates for stuff like that.

Korea is worth 48 million euros (about 37 million of your British pounds). A big chunk of that is Son Heung-min at 14 million.
Australia 26
China 11
Iran 21
Japan 76
Qatar 4.5
Oman 3.6

Celtic 59
Aberdeen 8.7
St Mirren 5.5
Scottish National Team 51, James McArthur at 7 million being the highest.

The average player in the Korean team is worth a bit less than the average player in the Scottish team. Korea have a single stand out player who's well ahead of the others.

Return to “Korean national team”