National League champion
National League champion

Korean team arrives home

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/soccer/newsview?newsId=20140630075907263

[현장메모] 왜 팬들은 홍명보호를 향해 '엿'을 던졌을까
스포탈코리아 | 정지훈 | 입력2014.06.30 07:59
기사 내용
[스포탈코리아=인천공항] 정지훈 기자= 홍명보호의 귀국장은 그야말로 난장판이었다.

홍명보 감독이 이끄는 한국 축구대표팀이 30일 오전 인천국제공항을 통해 귀국했다. 평소라면 많은 팬들의 환호성이 있었겠지만, 좋지 못한 성적을 거둔 홍명보호였기에 분위기는 차분했고 선수들은 고개를 들지 못했다.

오전 5시라는 이른 시간이었지만 200여명의 팬들이 귀국장에 운집해 높은 관심을 실감케 했다. 또한, 수많은 여성팬들은 "잘했어요. 고생하셨어요"를 외치며 고개 숙인 선수들을 위로했다.

그러나 일부 팬들의 생각은 달랐다. 홍명보호가 해단식을 열자 일부 팬들은 "엿 먹어라. 국민들의 마음이다"라고 외치며 엿 사탕을 선수단을 향해 던졌다. 선수들은 당혹스러움을 감추지 못했고, 손흥민은 "엿 먹어야 하나요..."라며 탄식을 내뱉었다.

엿 사탕을 던진 일부 팬들은 다음카페 '너 땜에 졌어'의 회원들이었다. 이 회원들은 이어 '근조 한국 축구는 죽었다'라는 현수막을 내걸며 다시 한 번 아쉬움의 목소리를 냈다.

홍명보호를 향해 엿을 던진 팬들. 이유는 무엇일까?

이날 직접적으로 엿을 투척한 다음카페 '너 땜에 졌어'의 회원인 조호연(42, 직장인) 씨는 "한국 축구는 분명 죽었다. 이번 월드컵에서 보여준 홍명보 감독의 모습을 도저히 참을수 없었다"며 분노했다.

엿을 던진 이유는 분명했다. 한국 대표팀의 성적이 아니었다. 바로 이번 월드컵 대표팀을 계속해서 따라다닌 인맥 축구였다. 그는 "홍명보 감독이 자신과 친하다는 이유로 선수를 선발했다. 선수들의 컨디션과 경기력은 중요하지 않았다. 학연을 통해 선수들을 선발했다. 이건 관피아가 아닌 축피아다"며 분노를 감추지 못했다.

사진=신요안 기자
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Korean team arrives home

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:39 am

There were some morons waiting for the team at the airport with a banner that read: "Korean soccer has died.", and threw taffy at the team, and told them to eat it. If you know the Korean word for taffy, and this same word's alternative meaning, then you understand the symbolism.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:There were some morons waiting for the team at the airport with a banner that read: "Korean soccer has died.", and threw taffy at the team, and told them to eat it. If you know the Korean word for taffy, and this same word's alternative meaning, then you understand the symbolism.

Lovely.

Team, you did your best. :)
조별리그 탈락 홍명보호, 인천공항 통해 귀국

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:30 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:There were some morons waiting for the team at the airport with a banner that read: "Korean soccer has died.", and threw taffy at the team, and told them to eat it. If you know the Korean word for taffy, and this same word's alternative meaning, then you understand the symbolism.

That's pretty pathetic.

Fair enough be disappointed and even pissed off if you want but going to the hassle of meeting them at the airport to harass them?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the team start thinking 'I don't need this shit' and decide to call it a day.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:14 pm

SteveW wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if some of the team start thinking 'I don't need this shit' and decide to call it a day.

Hopefully Hong isn't one of them.

But I was thinking, maybe part of the problem is that while he's played in Japan and the US, he's never actually played in Europe so the European based players automatically feel entitled to second guess everything he says because they know better and the younger Asia based players just listen to the guys whose career paths they want to follow.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 pm

eujin wrote:
SteveW wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if some of the team start thinking 'I don't need this shit' and decide to call it a day.

Hopefully Hong isn't one of them.

But I was thinking, maybe part of the problem is that while he's played in Japan and the US, he's never actually played in Europe so the European based players automatically feel entitled to second guess everything he says because they know better and the younger Asia based players just listen to the guys whose career paths they want to follow.

Maybe the players wouldn't feel the right to second guess him if he, you know, picked the best players (instead of automatically selecting players from his alma mater), and/or his substitutions made any tactical sense -- like taking off a striker for Kim Bo-Kyung when you need at least 2 goals against Belgium.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:52 am

SaintsCanada wrote:Maybe the players wouldn't feel the right to second guess him if he, you know, picked the best players (instead of automatically selecting players from his alma mater), and/or his substitutions made any tactical sense -- like taking off a striker for Kim Bo-Kyung when you need at least 2 goals against Belgium.

He was already playing with two strikers from the start of the second half against Belgium (Kim Shin-ook and Lee Keun-ho). So taking one off to bring on a more mobile attacking midfielder isn't totally insane when you're up a man and trying to spread their defence.

According to his Suwon page Jung Sung-ryong went to Honam University, not Korea University like Hong. And as for Park Chu-yong, who did go to Korea University, one of the regular commenters on here had this to say about him just prior to the World Cup;
Anybody who says even a non match-fit Park isn't one of Korea's best 23 players is out of their mind/doesn't understand soccer properly.

I would personally be planning to start KSW in between Son and LCY in the warmups and Russia matches (this all depends on performance, injury, etc.), but Park is still the proper choice to round out the striking corps, and could chime in with an important goal at some point in the tournament.

Can you guess who it was?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:06 am

I was right then and I still am. :) PCY sshould have been in the squad but not the starter. And after the Russia match, starting him against Algeria was out of the question.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:28 pm

After the Russia game he should have changed the keeper and PCY - its kind of understandable that he didn't but that doesn't make it any less wrong a decision.

On the down side, KSW didn't really do much either to be perfectly honest. LKH looked about the best bet but not sure he was up for a full 90 and he was the best of a bad lot. Bit odd that Ji Dong Won didn't get some more game time I thought.

A lot of the players are much of a muchness in the squad, it might well be that Hong needs to go back to the drawing board to find a way to get more out of them as I don't see many obvious candidates to come in and do better.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:19 am

I would've given Ji more time. As you've said, KSW and LKH had bright moments but didn't really convince overall.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 pm

The candy-throwing chap sounds like a bit of a twat really:

Candy-Throwing Soccer Fan Chews Out Critics
July 2 2014

An angry soccer fan who caused a commotion by throwing candy at the South Korean national team upon its return home from the World Cup has defended his action.

On Wednesday morning, the fan, whose identity remains unknown except for his family name Cho, wrote on a popular online forum: “Someone wrote we should encourage the national team for its efforts… but I didn’t want to make insincere comments like ‘You did a good job. We can go to the quarterfinals next time.’”

He did what he did not because the Korean team was defeated but because the players lost their “fighting spirit and passion” and coach Hong Myung-bo disappointed soccer fans with his poor strategy, he argued.

“I am denounced for throwing yeot (candy), but if my action could serve as a chance for Korean soccer to change, I am more than happy to eat yeot myself.”

‘Yeot’ is also used as an expletive in Korean that is often compared to the F-word in English.

While some criticized the fan online, most commenters sided with him.

“Thank you for doing this, which should have been done anyway. I hope your seeds of efforts bud later and lead to the renaissance of Korean soccer,” wrote one fan.

Maybe Mr. Cho was going to play bad cop no matter how the team performed.

He opened an online forum on Daum, the country’s second biggest portal site, on June 8, less than a week before the World Cup started, which says it only welcomes criticism of the national soccer team.

Statements on the front site say: “This café bans words of support and encouragement” and “I do this not because I hate you but because I wish you the best.”

Other sports stars may be nervous. The forum has bulletin boards for baseball and basketball teams as well.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:00 pm

Inspiring stuff. I think I'll try that in class tomorrow. Go in, tell my students to go f*** themselves, and then sit back and wait to be thanked for " sowing the seeds of efforts that will lead to the renaissance of Korean English learning"

Twat.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:09 am

Take away the first half against Algeria and they would've gone through.

Alex43
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Alex43 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:25 pm

so, i dont know the cafe blogs name nor do i have time to research it right now (on the road, i know, lame excuse) but is this guy trying to even thinking of a solution? not that just anybody can change the team, but like a few of the threads here where suggestive ideas are expressed, is he doing the same? or strictly just throwing yoet around?
well well well

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Korea coach Hong stays on despite World Cup woes

Hong Myung-bo will continue as coach of South Korea's national soccer team despite their early exit from the World Cup, the Korean Football Association (KFA) said on Thursday...

More here.

Return to “Korean national team”