2014 World Cup squad announced

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2014 World Cup squad announced

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 pm

SteveW wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:I agree with Ahn on almost all points. Except I do wish there was a bit more experience in the squad. But sometimes that's cyclical, and if the KFA are willing to stick with Hong, it could work out perfectly in 2018 as the "London Boys" all come into their prime at the same time.

I also agree about Park Chu-Young. Anybody who says even a non match-fit Park isn't one of Korea's best 23 players is out of their mind/doesn't understand soccer properly.

I would personally be planning to start KSW in between Son and LCY in the warmups and Russia matches (this all depends on performance, injury, etc.), but Park is still the proper choice to round out the striking corps, and could chime in with an important goal at some point in the tournament.

Depending on how he wants to line up it may be Son, Koo, Lee Keun Ho and Kim Bo Kyung as the attacking players.

Actually a lot of flexibility in the squad as Ji Dong Won can also lead the line. PCY could be dropped slightly deeper into the #10 role also.

Be interested how he lines up for the warmup matches

Agreed about PCY being able to play as the AM/second striker. However, if he's not match-fit, it's probably better to bring him off the bench wherever he slots in.

KSW is twice the striker Lee Geun-Ho is. KSW dominates Korean domestic football, Lee has been nothing special in the top-flight, nor did he look special when I saw him last year in the cup.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri May 16, 2014 12:45 am

LKH has more experience and is more suited to playing a wider role I think though I agree he hasn't impressed much lately. Assuming he plays 2 wingers I would like its KBK and LKH in those slots as I don't see other obvious candidates..

I will be really surprised if KSW leads the line from the start in the WC.

I didn't realise Wookie had 26 caps already....only 3 goals though.

Second guessing Hong is probably pointless but I expect KSW to get the least game time of the 5 forwards named.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Fri May 16, 2014 4:55 am

SteveW wrote:Assuming he plays 2 wingers I would like its KBK and LKH in those slots as I don't see other obvious candidates..

Lee Chung-yong and Son Heung-min?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 am

Surely Son and LCY out wide. KBK, and Ki in the middle with Gu behind the striker, I would think.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

theglobalgnome
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby theglobalgnome » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Sense indeed. I've posted on here before how much I rate PCY and I'm very happy to see him go. He hadn't played much in the build-up to London and still scored that great goal in the medal where he single-handedly beat Japan's defence. Ahn is probably right when he says "it looks like the coach wasn’t able to find a striker who could perform better than Park has in the past year," and Hong certainly looked at plenty in his first 5-6 games (although it's shame there have been no friendlies since the season began because Pohang's Kim Seungdae would have surely deserved a chance to impress).

Not wanting to sound too hipster, but I'm not even sure Korea needs to play a central striker. Why not play to strengths and use the pace and movement of Lee CY, Son, Lee KH, or Kim BK? KSW is much more than a big man up front, but- whether by design or not- when he's there that how he tends to get used. Russia's aging defence would love Korea to just knock long passes and crosses to a big guy (I know it was a long time ago, but I watched a Russian defence do exactly that as Wales launched long-ball after long-ball at John Hartson). How much are Ignashevich are the Berezutskis going to enjoy running around after Son or either of the Lees? Also, I can't claim to have watched every Belgian qualifier, but they were in Wales' group and I'm pretty sure they often stick centre-backs (Alderwield/Vermaelen/Vertonghen) out at full-back, so maybe pace can be used there. Danny Van Buyten is still in the squad too and he's another who I'm sure would much rather face KSW/PCY than any of the quicker guys.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri May 16, 2014 6:05 pm

I can see KSW coming on for the last 10/15 if Korea need a goal but I think gnome is right that its more likely to be a more mobile lineup - maybe even 4-6-0 esque.

Really depends how HMB plays it...whether he goes for attack or sits back and hopes to nick something. I have a feeling he will play it more cagey
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 am

Not sure if anyone picked it up buy Kim Jin Su has dropped out the squad with an injury and been replaced by Park Joo Ho.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 am

Is Park Joo-ho fit? They decided he wasn't fit and now they've decided he is?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Sat May 31, 2014 8:57 pm

eujin wrote:Is Park Joo-ho fit? They decided he wasn't fit and now they've decided he is?

I think after they named the squad (or maybe JUST before?) he came through a match in Germany for the first time since he was injured.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat May 31, 2014 10:33 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:I think after they named the squad (or maybe JUST before?) he came through a match in Germany for the first time since he was injured.

Did he? I thought he hadn't played since the beginning of April. He was going to get operated on his toe, then decided to stick it out and go to Korea to try to get in the WC squad, then didn't get in the squad because he wasn't fit, now he's back in the squad....I'm a bit suspicious.

Return to “Korean national team”