2014 World Cup squad announced

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: 2014 World Cup squad announced

Postby SteveW » Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 am

eujin wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:Would you truly be shocked if Algeria took a point off Russia or Korea? They took points out of England last time.

I wouldn't be shocked if they picked up a draw. But I would be surprised if they got out of the group. Each of the other three sides will be thinking if they don't take 3 points from Algeria they'll be in trouble.

That's what I mean though. I don't think Algeria will go through the group without picking up any points - and while they are the weakest team in the group its far from a foregone conclusion that Korea will beat them.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon May 12, 2014 1:12 am

Doing some digging around bookies sites and it looks like South Korea are odds on to go out at the group stage. Not great odds to qualify though - only about 2/1.

Best punt so far seems to be 7/1 on Iran to qualify from their group - with Bosnia and Nigeria in there I think they've got a shot

Other possible nibbles...

25/1 on Uruguay to lift the trophy.
14/1 on Ecuador to make the Quarters

If you fancy Belgium to flop then you can get 19/4 on them not to make it out of the group.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Mon May 12, 2014 2:30 am

Spain will not fail. That I can assure you

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 am

Belgium are overrated and Russia are underrated. But they're widely tipped to make it out of the group for legitimate reasons.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Crane wrote:Belgium are overrated and Russia are underrated. But they're widely tipped to make it out of the group for legitimate reasons.

Why do you think Russia are underrated?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon May 12, 2014 9:07 pm

eujin wrote:
Crane wrote:Belgium are overrated and Russia are underrated. But they're widely tipped to make it out of the group for legitimate reasons.

Russia came top of their qualifying group ahead of Portugal.

Interestingly I wonder what the view would be if they had been in a group with Portugal and Croatia - I think people would think they are out - but they've actually pulled 2 teams that qualified ahead of those 2 sides.

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Tue May 13, 2014 4:20 am

eujin wrote:

Guess it just seems to me that way because most people aren't talking that highly of them. Or at all, rather.

Yes, Fabio had a bust with England, but he is still a great manager, and Russia showed under Advocaat and Hiddink that they have disciplined players (on the pitch, at least!) who combine well in attacking. The combination of that makes me think they might do rather well.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue May 13, 2014 5:18 am

Ton du Chatinier, one of the chaps on Hong Myung-bo's coaching staff, looking more and more like that evil General bloke from Prison Break:

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed May 14, 2014 1:33 am

Belgium squad confirmed (1 goalie to drop out depending on fitness):

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid, on loan from Chelsea), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Koen Casteels (Hoffenheim), Silvio Proto (Anderlecht).

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Atletico Madrid), Laurent Ciman (Standard Liege), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit St Petersburg), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City), Daniel Van Buyten (Bayern Munich), Anthony Vanden Borre (Anderlecht), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele (both Tottenham), Steven Defour (Porto), Kevin De Bruyne (Wolfsburg), Marouane Fellaini, Adnan Januzaj (both Manchester United), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Kevin Mirallas (Everton), Divock Origi (Lille), Axel Witsel (Zenit St Petersburg).

Forwards: Romelu Lukaku (Everton, on loan from Chelsea), Dries Mertens (Napoli).

Standby: Sebastien Pocognoli (Hannover), Radia Nainggolan (Roma), Thorgan Hazard (Zulte Waregem, on loan from Chelsea), Guillaume Gillet (Anderlecht), Michy Batshuayi, Jelle Van Damme (both Standard Liege).

SeoulFox
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller

Postby SeoulFox » Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Joker wrote:You could never predict what Kim Byung-Ji was gonna do.

Still can't, the crazy mulleted bastard.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Thu May 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Haircare actually talks a lot of sense here. Damn...

Ahn’s take on World Cup
May 14,2014

Ahn Jung-hwan was an icon in Korean football. With movie-star good looks and a marriage to model Lee Hye-won, he was the David Beckham of Korea in the early 2000s. But in Korean World Cup history, he was a whole lot more.

Many people still remember Ahn’s thrilling extra-time golden goal against Italy that led the Taegeuk Warriors into the quarterfinals in the 2002 Korea-Japan World Cup, and his stunning mid-range shot against Togo in a 2-1 first-round victory in 2006 in Germany.

During the 2014 Brazil World Cup, the 37-year-old will be a commentator for a local television network and an analyst for the JoongAng Ilbo. Ahn sat down to talk about the greatest sporting event in the world.

Q. Many fans and analysts criticized Coach Hong Myung-bo for breaking his own rules in finalizing his World Cup roster.

A. I know there are many different opinions, but I think those people criticizing Hong should take a look at themselves first. We know that the right to select players is the sole responsibility of the coach, and trying to influence his decisions is also breaking the rules. Since it’s only 30 days before kickoff, we should stop making such noise and give the team our best support. We can criticize him when the event is over. He knows that all the responsibility is on him as the coach.

Hong previously said he would not call up players who didn’t play enough for their clubs, but some players such as striker Park Chu-young and defender Yoon Suk-young were included on the roster.

Hong never said he would utilize Park as a starter. He might use Park as a joker, who can score a goal late in a match. If he isn’t in top shape, Kim Shin-wook [Ulsan Hyundai Tigers] can be the starting striker. But in my personal opinion, it looks like the coach wasn’t able to find a striker who could perform better than Park has in the past year. There are other players who can score, such as Son Heung-min [Leverkusen] and Lee Chung-yong [Bolton Wanderers], but they are midfielders. Park asked fans to take some time and watch how he plays, and I think we should listen to his request.

Hong chose 12 of his so-called London Boys, who were members of the 2012 Olympics team that won the bronze medal. Some say he just wanted familiar faces.

There is nothing wrong with that. He picked them because he trusts them, and I think it now is up to them to repay him for that trust.

If you were Hong, would you select Park Chu-young?

Indeed. But if I were the coach, I would utilize him as a substitute. When I was a member of the 2002 World Cup squad, I wasn’t a starter for my club [AC Perugia/Italy], but Coach Guus Hiddink gave me a chance and I responded to the expectation.

Korea had many veterans in the 2010 South Africa World Cup, but Kwak Tea-hwi is the only player over 30, and people worry about this.

I think age doesn’t matter. The more important thing is experience. It is true that the team consists of many young players, but many of them have experiences in European leagues and in international events like the 2012 Olympics. That’s why Park [Chu-young] needs to be a leader in the locker room as this will be his third World Cup.

What are your predictions for Group H matches against Russia, Algeria and Belgium?

I think teamwork will decide the result of the match against Russia, and many people say Algeria is the country from which Korea should earn three points easily, but I disagree as the Algeria team consists of many players from European leagues. The best scenario is for Belgium to win their first two matches and hope they don’t utilize their best 11 players in the last match with us.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 pm

Disturbed by how much sense Haircare makes here. Probably will take a walk and come to this thread tomorrow.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu May 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Haircare speaking sense there. Must be angling for a Woodland Ferrets job.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu May 15, 2014 10:29 pm

I agree with Ahn on almost all points. Except I do wish there was a bit more experience in the squad. But sometimes that's cyclical, and if the KFA are willing to stick with Hong, it could work out perfectly in 2018 as the "London Boys" all come into their prime at the same time.

I also agree about Park Chu-Young. Anybody who says even a non match-fit Park isn't one of Korea's best 23 players is out of their mind/doesn't understand soccer properly.

I would personally be planning to start KSW in between Son and LCY in the warmups and Russia matches (this all depends on performance, injury, etc.), but Park is still the proper choice to round out the striking corps, and could chime in with an important goal at some point in the tournament.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu May 15, 2014 10:37 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:I agree with Ahn on almost all points. Except I do wish there was a bit more experience in the squad. But sometimes that's cyclical, and if the KFA are willing to stick with Hong, it could work out perfectly in 2018 as the "London Boys" all come into their prime at the same time.

I also agree about Park Chu-Young. Anybody who says even a non match-fit Park isn't one of Korea's best 23 players is out of their mind/doesn't understand soccer properly.

I would personally be planning to start KSW in between Son and LCY in the warmups and Russia matches (this all depends on performance, injury, etc.), but Park is still the proper choice to round out the striking corps, and could chime in with an important goal at some point in the tournament.

Depending on how he wants to line up it may be Son, Koo, Lee Keun Ho and Kim Bo Kyung as the attacking players.

Actually a lot of flexibility in the squad as Ji Dong Won can also lead the line. PCY could be dropped slightly deeper into the #10 role also.

Be interested how he lines up for the warmup matches

Return to “Korean national team”