Kim Bo-kyoung (Cardiff City)
Lee Chung-yong (Bolton Wanderers)
Ji Dong-won (Augusburg)

Forwards:
Koo Ja-cheol (Mainz)
Lee Keun-ho (Sangju Sangmu)
Park Chu-young (Arsenal)
Kim Shin-wook (Ulsan Horang-i)

Can't have too many complaints about that squad but I still think they will have a hard time of it this Summer. I don't see them making it out of the group to be honest. I think they would need to beat Russia and that's a big ask.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2014 World Cup squad announced

Postby SaintsCanada » Thu May 08, 2014 6:13 pm

SteveW wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Goalkeepers:
Jung Sung-ryeong (Suwon Bluewings)
Kim Seung-gyu (Ulsan Horang-i)
Lee Bom-young (Busan I'Park)

Defenders:
Kim Jin-soo (Albirex Niigata)
Yun Suk-young (QPR)
Kim Young-kwon (Guangzhou Evergrande)
Hwang Seok-ho (Sanfrecce Hiroshima)
Hong Jeong-ho (Augsburg)
Kwak Tae-hwi (Al Hilal)
Lee Yong (Ulsan Horang-i)
Kim Chang-soo (Kashiwa Reysol)

Midfielders:
Ki Seung-yeung (Sunderland)
Ha Dae-sung (Beijing Guoan)
Han Kook-young (Kashiwa Reysol)
Park Jung-woo (Guangzhou R&F)
Son Heung-min (Bayer Leverkusen)
Ji Dong-won (Augusburg)

Forwards:
Koo Ja-cheol (Mainz)
Park Chu-young (Arsenal)

Can't have too many complaints about that squad but I still think they will have a hard time of it this Summer. I don't see them making it out of the group to be honest. I think they would need to beat Russia and that's a big ask.

You never know, the fixture order was very kind to them. Might get to play Belgium B, and there's an enormous drop off there.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu May 08, 2014 6:18 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:
SteveW wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Goalkeepers:
Jung Sung-ryeong (Suwon Bluewings)
Kim Seung-gyu (Ulsan Horang-i)
Lee Bom-young (Busan I'Park)

Defenders:
Kim Jin-soo (Albirex Niigata)
Yun Suk-young (QPR)
Kim Young-kwon (Guangzhou Evergrande)
Hwang Seok-ho (Sanfrecce Hiroshima)
Hong Jeong-ho (Augsburg)
Kwak Tae-hwi (Al Hilal)
Lee Yong (Ulsan Horang-i)
Kim Chang-soo (Kashiwa Reysol)

Midfielders:
Ki Seung-yeung (Sunderland)
Ha Dae-sung (Beijing Guoan)
Han Kook-young (Kashiwa Reysol)
Park Jung-woo (Guangzhou R&F)
Son Heung-min (Bayer Leverkusen)
Ji Dong-won (Augusburg)

Forwards:
Koo Ja-cheol (Mainz)
Park Chu-young (Arsenal)

You never know, the fixture order was very kind to them. Might get to play Belgium B, and there's an enormous drop off there.

They've definitely got a chance but going into the last world cup I was fairly certain they'd get out of the group this time I'm not so sure.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Brazil squad announced.

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC, on loan from QPR), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro).

Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Maxwell and Thiago Silva (both Paris St-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli).

Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur), Ramires (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Fernandinho (Manchester City).

Forwards: Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Fred (Fluminense), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg).

Look like the winners to me.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Really bad luck for Park Joo-ho. They'll miss him.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Fri May 09, 2014 12:53 am

hahahah no kim yong-dae and the way Jung Sung-Ryong has been playing? Hong must be a fool.

I cannot WAIT until Jung screws up in the world cup. I know for a FACT Kim Yong-Dae will watch the game (c'mon, who won't?) And then, when he sees JSR made a huge mistake, he'll laugh.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Fri May 09, 2014 11:30 am

*Interesting. The three keepers all play for Koreans teams, and then out of all the rest only three play for teams in Korea. Does tat say anything about the quality of keeping here?

*I don't think we can really be sure of anything. I know people like to think that the best teams advance and that the best of those usually wins the World Cup, but that is not really true. The best teams often advanced very far, but of more than that you can't be sure. Football is a game with just too much luck involved, and the difference between winning and loosing is very small indeed. One goal out of nowhere and that is the match over. Some tiny screw up against even a minor team and that is the end of your tournament. Statistically favourites win only about 50% of the time. Compare that to other major sports where it can be as high as 75%.

(Look at FC Seoul and Incheon. Are there any teams unluckier than us? With our quality we should be punching each other in the face for first.)

I'd like to think Brazil will turn up with a scary team again, because that is their ting, but I'm not putting money on anyone to win. Just too much luck involved. Who knows, maybe some of that luck will be on Korea's side and they make it into the last 8. Wouldn't that be something to make people forget all this forced mourning we are being subjected to right now. :smt109
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri May 09, 2014 6:05 pm

OttoSilver wrote:*Interesting. The three keepers all play for Koreans teams, and then out of all the rest only three play for teams in Korea. Does tat say anything about the quality of keeping here?

It's probably more to do with the majority of all professional Korean goalkeepers plying their trade in the K-League. Off the top of my head I can only think of one, Kim Jin-hyun at Cerezo Osaka, playing for a team at a decent level overseas. There might be one or two in the South East Asian football leagues and possibly some more in the J2 but they're never going to earn call-ups to the national team.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri May 09, 2014 6:14 pm

On that Brazil squad, I am going to predict right now that they will do fuck all this summer purely on account of the lack of terrifying names in the squad. Socrates, Zico, Garrincha, Careca, Jarzinho; these are proper names. Fred, Jo and Victor are not the names of world champions.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri May 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Holyjoe wrote:
OttoSilver wrote:*Interesting. The three keepers all play for Koreans teams, and then out of all the rest only three play for teams in Korea. Does tat say anything about the quality of keeping here?

It's probably more to do with the majority of all professional Korean goalkeepers plying their trade in the K-League. Off the top of my head I can only think of one, Kim Jin-hyun at Cerezo Osaka, playing for a team at a decent level overseas. There might be one or two in the South East Asian football leagues and possibly some more in the J2 but they're never going to earn call-ups to the national team.

Do you think that's also something to do with the 'no foreign goalies' rule?

I wonder if teams work harder to develop and hold onto their best goalies because they can't bring in imports or at least whether the market for goalies in Korea is boosted by the rule?

Would be interesting to see if the average goalie in Korea is better paid than say the average right back.

Do other countries have the same rule? It would maybe explain why you don't export goalies as much. Of course it may also simply be the marketability of Asian keepers in Europe is low.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Fri May 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Holyjoe wrote:On that Brazil squad, I am going to predict right now that they will do fuck all this summer purely on account of the lack of terrifying names in the squad. Socrates, Zico, Garrincha, Careca, Jarzinho; these are proper names. Fred, Jo and Victor are not the names of world champions.

But the Brazil teams of the past didn't represent the mighty Toronto FC!

Goalkeeping has always been a trouble spot for Korea, which is why teams aren't allowed to sign foreign goalkeepers. One of the roles of the K-League is to develop Korean goalkeepers (exclusively).

Lee Woon-Jae wasn't even the #1 choice a few months before the 2002 WC. If memory serves it was the magic haircut until the Gold Cup earlier that year, where Korea were invitees. They lost to Canada in the 3rd place game.

Surely wriggling two pieces of Canadian content into a post about the Korean World Cup squad deserves some sort of medal or government grant!
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri May 09, 2014 7:05 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:On that Brazil squad, I am going to predict right now that they will do fuck all this summer purely on account of the lack of terrifying names in the squad. Socrates, Zico, Garrincha, Careca, Jarzinho; these are proper names. Fred, Jo and Victor are not the names of world champions.

Goalkeeping has always been a trouble spot for Korea, which is why teams aren't allowed to sign foreign goalkeepers. One of the roles of the K-League is to develop Korean goalkeepers (exclusively).

Lee Woon-Jae wasn't even the #1 choice a few months before the 2002 WC. If memory serves it was the magic haircut until the Gold Cup earlier that year, where Korea were invitees. They lost to Canada in the 3rd place game.

Surely wriggling two pieces of Canadian content into a post about the Korean World Cup squad deserves some sort of medal or government grant!

I actually think the goalies maybe 10 years ago in the LWJ era were pretty strong. You had Byungji, Choi and the other one I like around then was Seo Dong Myeong

I was fairly sure Kim Young Kwang was going to be the goalie for the next generation but for whatever reason he's dropped off the radar completely.

The current goalies seem to be ropey. I can see the reasoning for taking Lee since they probably want to bring him along for the experience knowing chances are he won't ever need to take the field. I'm not convinced he's good enough though.

Jung should now be coming into his prime as a goalie but still seems to make 'inexperienced' mistakes. Does he need better coaching? Not sure who works with the Korean keepers in the NT right now... would it be worthwhile bringing in some really good keeping coach from abroad?

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Bernard and Fred are two quality names for Brazilians. Nothing says samba style and the sunny beaches of the Copacabana more than Bernard and Fred.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sat May 10, 2014 2:06 am

SteveW wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:

I actually think the goalies maybe 10 years ago in the LWJ era were pretty strong. You had Byungji, Choi and the other one I like around then was Seo Dong Myeong

I was fairly sure Kim Young Kwang was going to be the goalie for the next generation but for whatever reason he's dropped off the radar completely.

The current goalies seem to be ropey. I can see the reasoning for taking Lee since they probably want to bring him along for the experience knowing chances are he won't ever need to take the field. I'm not convinced he's good enough though.

Jung should now be coming into his prime as a goalie but still seems to make 'inexperienced' mistakes. Does he need better coaching? Not sure who works with the Korean keepers in the NT right now... would it be worthwhile bringing in some really good keeping coach from abroad?

Had a fB discussion with KingKenny the other day because we both thought that, as a contemporary of Hong, Lee might be the goalie coach. But it turned out to be someone called Kim Bongsu, who agewise is also a contemporary of Hong. Interestingly, they have a Japanese fitness coach and another foreign chap (Dutch maybe?) as coach.

Return to “Korean national team”