2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Re: 2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Postby SaintsCanada » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:44 pm

daeguowl wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Might be a bit far to travel at that time in the morning, but I'm sure I read they were going to open up the Sungeui and screen the game there. For folk in Busan, the Sajik baseball stadium will be screening the game. Curious that they're doing it there and not at the Asiad or Gudeok... think the Suwon World Cup stadium will be open for people that want to watch the game there too.

I think they were only using the Sungeui for the first game. The following two games are being screened at a park in Songdo.

Correct.

The more I think about it, I might wimp this one out and watch at home. With between 1 and 4 points after 2 matches, the Belgium match will be decisive, so I think I'll head out for that one, should be a good time.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 am

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but Belgium have not looked particularly impressive in either of their two outings now but of course have already booked their spot in the last sixteen so can afford to take things relatively easy. If Korea have a right good go tonight and get the win, and this was always going to be the game they were targeting first for a win anyway, then there is a very decent chance they can go up against Belgium and avoid defeat to progress. A win tonight and a defeat against Belgium would still see them through if Russia failed to beat Algeria in the final match, so they could be in a very good position indeed in a couple of hours. Or Jung Sung-ryong could fuck up and they'd be all but out.

Fuck it, 2-1 Korea is my prediction for this one but god knows where those two goals are coming from! Park Chu-young, the stage is set...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 am

Aye I've stuck my pound on 2-1 Korea but looking shoogly in the first 5 minutes...could have been a pen to Algeria there.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 am

SteveW wrote:Aye I've stuck my pound on 2-1 Korea but looking shoogly in the first 5 minutes...could have been a pen to Algeria there.

From one replay angle it looked like he got the ball, but from the others I thought it might have been the Algerian with the touch, which would mean certain penalty. Hard to tell if the ref got it right or not.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:28 am

Pathetic defending gifts Algeria the lead and then its 2 straight away because Jung is hopeless.

PCY has done nothing as well.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:37 am

SaintsCanada wrote:The more I think about it, I might wimp this one out and watch at home.

seems like it was a very wise move

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:40 am

Omnishambles right now.

Not one player has turned up for Korea hard to know where to start in making changes.

Koo looks crap, defence is a shambles, midfield non-existent, PCY anonymous, and the keeper looks drunk.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 am

I had my concerns about Korea going into the World Cup, particularly on the back of that awful performance against Tunisia, but I never expected them to look so listless and disorganised as they have in this first half. A lot of credit to Algeria who have been as impressive as Korea have been poor but pretty much nobody has turned up for Korea in a game that would make or break their World Cup. Tournament well and truly broken now, a heavy defeat here means they'll have to absolutely pump Belgium to have any chance of progressing. The most telling stat was after about 35 minutes when the telly flashed up Algeria had had ten attempts on goal to Korea's zero. Algeria squeezed in a couple more efforts before the break as well.

Awful.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 am

Second half was better with more desire and more energy, but that wasn't hard. Kim Shin-ook caused some problems after he came on and Son Heung-min ran his heart out for the cause. Defence was still terrible, goalkeeper unspeakable. I wonder if Kim yong-dae was watching. It might have cheered weka up a bit.

At least they didn't completely collapse like Denmark did against Armenia.

Boothy
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Boothy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:00 am

Although Korea were abysmal in the first half it has to be said they were somewhat unlucky with the refereeing decisions. Algeria could easily have been down to ten men and there were 2 penalty shouts.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:02 am

If Algeria can make it they might face a last-16 clash with Germany - a chance for revenge for the debacle of 1982.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:04 am

Boothy wrote:Although Korea were abysmal in the first half it has to be said they were somewhat unlucky with the refereeing decisions. Algeria could easily have been down to ten men and there were 2 penalty shouts.

Algeria could claim to have had a penalty after 5 minutes.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:19 am

nzfooty wrote:If Algeria can make it they might face a last-16 clash with Germany - a chance for revenge for the debacle of 1982.

I thought the German commentary was quite pro-Algeria despite the Bundesligisten on the other team and was thinking it might be a guilty conscience. I'd quite like to see Germany put 3 or 4 past Russia actually but USA vs Algeria would also be fun.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 am

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:If Algeria can make it they might face a last-16 clash with Germany - a chance for revenge for the debacle of 1982.

I thought the German commentary was quite pro-Algeria despite the Bundesligisten on the other team and was thinking it might be a guilty conscience. I'd quite like to see Germany put 3 or 4 past Russia actually but USA vs Algeria would also be fun.

If you were watching ZDF then I agree. Then again, with that display Korea could not expect to win any new fans.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 am

Much better in the second half but the damage had been done.

I'd like to think that's Park Chu-young's World Cup over, he was useless in both matches and deservedly hooked both times. I'd be tempted by a change between the sticks as well, the defence looks shaky enough without playing in front of a keeper they don't appear to have any confidence in.

Disappointed in the extreme with the first half non performance...

Return to “Korean national team”