2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: 2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm

According to this (factually incorrect) article Bummy must be one of the 5 tallest players at the World Cup if he is 199cm.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/slideshow/5- ... slide-next
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:28 pm

More numbers:

http://www.china.org.cn/sports/brazilwo ... 641669.htm

Chile and Mexico seem to be the shortest teams with Germany and Bosnia the tallest.

if 176 is the shortest and 185 the tallest squad then assuming a fairly even spread then Korea must be right up there at the high end just shy of 184cm.

of course, its not clear if any Koreans are sticking a few extra cms on their wiki profiles :)
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 pm

SteveW wrote:

Just for you...

Just for me?... didn't realise Steve you also felt this way :smt055

SteveW wrote: and since I have nothing better to do today I got my spreadsheet out again.

Ok, that's a bit of a cold shower.

SteveW wrote:
Russia v Kor Average Heights

GK 188 v 192 KOR WIN
DF 184 v 182 RUS WIN
MF 178 v 181 KOR WIN
FW 181 v 185 KOR WIN

AVG 182 v 184 KOR WIN

So the average Korean squad member is nearly an inch taller than their Russian counterpart.

Although the Russian defenders are on average larger than the Korean defenders interestingly the Korean defenders are on average bigger than the Russian forwards while the Korean attackers are bigger than the Russian defenders.

Of course the 2 tallest players in the 46 were Wookie and Bummy neither of whom took the field but even taking them down to a normal size Korea is still taller on average.

Good digging. I keep on hearing how big Russians are* but perhaps this has more to do with this cinematic classic than reality.

(Saint Petersburg excluded)

Than again, I'm not having a dig at Russians, rather Koreans have nothing to be ashamed about.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Last night I dreamed I watched Korea score a 90th minute winner (1-0) in this World Cup. I don't know if it was against Algeria or Belgium.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 am

Sounds like another thriller involving an AFC team is in store:

South Korea meet Algeria with all to play for

PORTO ALEGRE, Brazil (AP) — South Korea and Algeria have to put disappointing opening results [ :smt017 ]behind them when they meet Sunday, each knowing a victory would leave them well-placed to qualify from a World Cup group that remains wide open.

The group standings will become clearer once Russia and Belgium play earlier in the day, but a win for South Korea would place it on the verge of the knockout rounds after it drew its first game against Russia 1-1. Three points for Algeria, which lost 2-1 to Belgium after leading for much of the match, would propel it back into contention, while a loss would all but end its World Cup.

Fullback Park Joo-ho predicted another tight encounter for South Korea, which reached the knockout rounds in 2010 but is best remembered for its history-making journey to the semifinals in 2002 when it co-hosted the World Cup with Japan.

"I don't think either team will have a lot of offensive chances," he told reporters. "If we can score with the chances that we do get, we should have a good shot at winning."

South Korea manager Hong Myung-bo must find a way of getting more bite into his attacking lineup, including Park Chu-young, a onetime national obsession who moved to Arsenal in 2011 but failed to make the first team. Hong started with Park against Russia but removed him in the 56th minute. His replacement Lee Keun-ho scored soon after, thanks to a goalkeeping blunder.

Midfielder Ha Dae-sung has been ruled out of Sunday's game with a damaged ligament in his left foot, according to South Korean media reports.

Ton du Chatinier, South Korea's Dutch-born assistant coach, said Algeria was vulnerable defensively when it was pressing the game.

"When there's a lot of space behind them, we'll have a lot of opportunities to score," the coach said. "It's also a counterattack team. They also wait, wait and wait, and it's important for Korea that we don't make stupid mistakes."

Algeria is seen as an outside chance in the group, but coach Vahid Halilhodzic will have been cheered by the team's performance against a Belgian side tipped by some to go far in the tournament. The side went ahead on a 25 minute penalty and held that lead for 45 more minutes before conceding twice late in the second half.

Algeria didn't score a single goal in the last World Cup in South Africa but has risen in the FIFA rankings since then and impressed in qualifying. The team has been able to draw on experienced players from the country's large overseas migrant community, mostly in France, giving it a depth that some other African nations lack.

Center back Rafik Halliche said the loss to Belgium was "now in the past."

"We still have two games to turn the situation to our advantage," he said. "We certainly shouldn't give up in these circumstances."

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:11 pm

"When there's a lot of space behind them, we'll have a lot of opportunities to score," the coach said. "It's also a counterattack team. They also wait, wait and wait, and it's important for Korea that we don't make stupid mistakes."

If Korea wait for space behind them before they try to score and Algeria sit back and wait and wait and wait, this could easily end up in a very dull 0-0. Either that or they're now using assistant coaches to feed misinformation to the world. For me, this is a must win match for Korea. Somebody will win the Russia-Algeria match and Korea don't want to go into the last match against Belgium needing a heroic performance. They can play it cagey for a while but they will need to apply some pressure to the Algerians at some point, so picking a team full of speedy counterattackers will be a mistake. As I said earlier I think Kim Shin-ook has a role to play here. Maybe not from the start but he needs to get a decent run out. And Kim Bo-kyung for that matter too. The Korean defence has also looked vulnerable to the sort of fast, strong, individualistic breaks that the Algerians will try to mount so they're going to need to watch that.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:08 am

Any tips on good places to watch with other humans?
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:59 am

SaintsCanada wrote:Any tips on good places to watch with other humans?

Are you still down in Gunpo? They have street-cheering in various locations.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:00 am

South Korea looking to avoid distraction as Algeria ‘decider’ beckons
Asian side preparing for game at Iguazu Falls base

Algeria eye victory over South Korea and knockout berth
Algerians confident despite opening loss to Belgium
Winger Sofiane Feghouli says they will ‘fight like lions’

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:32 am

daeguowl wrote:

I live in Ilsan these days, but I might be willing to travel a bit if necessary.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 am

SaintsCanada wrote:
daeguowl wrote:

I live in Ilsan these days, but I might be willing to travel a bit if necessary.

There is definitely street cheering somewhere in Ilsan...i'll be heading to Gwanghwamun

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:43 am

Here's the details for street-cheering in Ilsan.
http://www.reddevil.or.kr/xe/index.php? ... t_srl=2105

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:53 pm

daeguowl wrote:Here's the details for street-cheering in Ilsan.
http://www.reddevil.or.kr/xe/index.php? ... t_srl=2105

Thanks!
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Might be a bit far to travel at that time in the morning, but I'm sure I read they were going to open up the Sungeui and screen the game there. For folk in Busan, the Sajik baseball stadium will be screening the game. Curious that they're doing it there and not at the Asiad or Gudeok... think the Suwon World Cup stadium will be open for people that want to watch the game there too.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Might be a bit far to travel at that time in the morning, but I'm sure I read they were going to open up the Sungeui and screen the game there. For folk in Busan, the Sajik baseball stadium will be screening the game. Curious that they're doing it there and not at the Asiad or Gudeok... think the Suwon World Cup stadium will be open for people that want to watch the game there too.

I think they were only using the Sungeui for the first game. The following two games are being screened at a park in Songdo.

Return to “Korean national team”