2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:25 am

Holyjoe wrote:I'd like to think that's Park Chu-young's World Cup over, he was useless in both matches and deservedly hooked both times. I'd be tempted by a change between the sticks as well, the defence looks shaky enough without playing in front of a keeper they don't appear to have any confidence in.

Yeah, they need a new keeper in the last match.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 am

From the AFC:

Fennec Foxes tear apart Taegeuk Warriors in first-half horror show but much-improved second period gives Koreans some hope ahead of crucial Belgium clash.
http://www.the-afc.com/en/brazil-2014-t ... geria.html

I love how all football organisations seem oblivious to reality.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:35 am

1-0 Russia and 2-0 Korea and it's Korea who go through? Not that implausible, surely?

:smt119

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:39 am

Holyjoe wrote:1-0 Russia and 2-0 Korea and it's Korea who go through? Not that implausible, surely?

Three hours ago I might have agreed with you. :wink:
Still, they are going into the last match with something to play for and if they have any pride and can repeat the performance against Russia then perhaps
the hardly impressive but already secure Belgium can be defeated.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 am

Nah its gone.

Take the chance in the last game to try a few new things.

Kim Seung Gyu between the sticks, Wookie up front from the start. Kwak in defence to see if that helps at all.

Go out and try to beat Belgium and see what happens.

PCY needs to get on the phone to Eland and see if he can get a starting gig with the Woodland Ferrets for next year. Not playing in Europe is going to turn him into the next Lee Chun Soo.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

Boothy wrote:Although Korea were abysmal in the first half it has to be said they were somewhat unlucky with the refereeing decisions. Algeria could easily have been down to ten men and there were 2 penalty shouts.

The shout for handball was a non-starter. When you dive in to block like that, your arms do sometimes raise up like that naturally, and the ball was blasted into him from close range. Ball to hand for me, and not hands in an unnatural position. I also thought the ref was right to only caution the player. Looked like he went over the ball, but in fairness I think he just missed the ball more than anything else, and it was one-footed, with studs not particularly up. The player could have no real complaints if he was sent off, but for me yellow is probably enough.

As per the other penalty, I thought it was, but I also thought Algeria could have had a penalty in the opening minutes.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:36 am

eujin wrote:
nzfooty wrote:If Algeria can make it they might face a last-16 clash with Germany - a chance for revenge for the debacle of 1982.

I thought the German commentary was quite pro-Algeria despite the Bundesligisten on the other team and was thinking it might be a guilty conscience. I'd quite like to see Germany put 3 or 4 past Russia actually but USA vs Algeria would also be fun.

Germany beat Russia? (to self: Don't mention the war, don't mention the war, don't mention the war). :lol:
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:38 am

What university did Jung go to? How about PCY? What chance same one as the manager? Tired of that shit in Korean soccer.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:07 am

SaintsCanada wrote:What university did Jung go to? How about PCY? What chance same one as the manager? Tired of that shit in Korean soccer.

Just soccer?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:49 pm

nzfooty wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:What university did Jung go to? How about PCY? What chance same one as the manager? Tired of that shit in Korean soccer.

Just soccer?

True say.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Gas1883
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Gas1883 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Much better in the second half but the damage had been done.

I'd like to think that's Park Chu-young's World Cup over, he was useless in both matches and deservedly hooked both times. I'd be tempted by a change between the sticks as well, the defence looks shaky enough without playing in front of a keeper they don't appear to have any confidence in.

Disappointed in the extreme with the first half non performance...

Battered with a capital B thanks to negative tactics, lack of confidence, and poor team selection.
What's going on with the centre-backs and the keeper? Thought Kim, Young-gwon could have been useful but Algeria were so dominant in the air.
Two route one balls undid them, which was surprising considering Algeria have a good passing game (shown off by the 4th goal).
KSY let his man go on the 4th goal, hasn't shown much so far over the two games, and am wondering if this is due to the injury he suffered near the end of the season or fatigue.

Koo and Son have been the plus points for me. Son has looked dangerous, took his goal very well.
Park has contributed nothing at all and has done nothing to warrant his place and the other forwards have all looked better when they've managed to get on.
What might have been...

Algeria played to win from the start but Korea only went for it once it was too late. This definitely isn't a world cup for scraping out 1-nilers.

At 3-1 KSY had a great shot saved, if that goes in it could have been different. But Belgium will be rubbing their hands, if they can start passing the ball better themselves then there could be trouble again.

Credit to Algeria though, almost their whole squad play in top European leagues/teams, which I had no idea about until looking them up today. So perhaps not a shock they are doing so well. Can't see Russia beating them.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 pm

nzfooty wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:1-0 Russia and 2-0 Korea and it's Korea who go through? Not that implausible, surely?

Three hours ago I might have agreed with you. :wink:
Still, they are going into the last match with something to play for and if they have any pride and can repeat the performance against Russia then perhaps
the hardly impressive but already secure Belgium can be defeated.

As you say they've blown their chance of progressing and it's very unlikely the stars will align for them to get the results they need, however I wonder if perhaps a USA victory over Germany early on Thursday just might convince Belgium that they really don't want to win their game against Korea later that day. One could argue that if the USA can indeed beat Germany then they might be a more fearsome prospect to be facing in the second round, but if Belgium were to be given the option of taking o either side in the knockout stages then I reckon they'd rather avoid the Germans. If the US top their group then defeat to Korea would increase Belgium's chances of playing the USA rather than Germany.

Straws... clutch clutch... but not all that impossible. Of course if the USA and Germany play out a nice amicable draw then the two of them go through as they are and topping the group would then probably be more in Belgium's interests.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 pm

From the KCNA website, so presumably not a fake...
Attachments
10463946_722166427841184_202881856033473912_n.jpg

Return to “Korean national team”