nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Postby nzfooty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:07 am

South Korea v Algeria
22 June 2014 (16:00 local time)
Estádio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre

South Korea's second match of the tournament which will be played three hours after Belgium and Russia kick-off their match.

Head-to-head:

Code: Select all

14 December 1985     South Korea 2 - 0 Algeria (Nezahualcoyotl, Mexico Tournament)

Venue:

890 km south-east of South Korea's base at Foz do Iguacu. (1h 15m by plane)
(n.b. Korea's first match, five days earlier, will be played 1,414 km north of Foz do Iguacu, ~ 2hrs by plane)

Where is it?: The furthest south of the host cities, Porto Alegre sits on a huge freshwater lagoon called Lagoa dos Patos (Lagoon of the Ducks), which is 174 miles long.

Capacity: 48,849.

Opening: 1969 - currently being refurbished.

Climate: It can get down to a chilly 10C at Porte Alegre in June and July with highs only around 19C.

BBC link to info about the other venues.

bet365 says:

Algeria 3.50
Draw 3.30
South Korea 2.10

South Korea's first round schedule:

South Korea v Russia (17 June)
South Korea v Algeria (22 June)
South Korea v Belgium (26 June)

mflynn11
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Korea V Algeria

Postby mflynn11 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone.

Sorry to jump straigh in with this as my first post but I have 3 x Category 2 tickets for Korea vs Algeria in Porto Alegre on the 22nd June that I can no longer use.

Happy to sell them for face value and I'd much rather it be to a Korea supporter.

I'm really disappointed that I can't make the game myself but I've been priced out of it due to the rapidly expanding costs of domestic flights in Brazil.

Let me know if anyone would like them. Happy to email pics of the tickets and provide my phone number/facebook etc if required.

Thanks all.

nzfooty

Re: 2014 WC Group Stage: South Korea v Algeria

Postby nzfooty » Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 am

Algeria's 2014 matches:

March 5
Algeria 2-0 Slovenia (Blida, Algeria)

May 31
Armenia v Algeria (Sion, Switzerland)

June 4
Romania v Algeria (Geneva, Switzerland)

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 am

Algeria 3 - 1 Armenia (Sion, Switzerland)
(Esseid Belkalem 13', Nabil Ghilas 22', Islam Slimani 42' - Artur Sarkisov 46')

Ghilas on target in morale-boosting friendly win

June 4
Romania v Algeria (Geneva, Switzerland)

Apparently they are trying to squeeze in one more friendly before the finals start

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:53 am

Algeria Announce Final World Cup Squad

Algeria head coach, Valid Halilhodzic, has announced his final 23-man World Cup squad on Monday.

He had just one player to send home after fourth goalkeeper, Azzedine Dhouka, had already left last week. Crystal Palace’s Adlene Guedioura was the last player who has been dropped from the Fennec Foxes final 23-man squad for Brazil.

Algeria will face Romania in their final build-up match in Geneva on Wednesday and then travel to Brazil on Friday.

The North Africans have been drawn in Group H with Belgium, Russia and South Korea.

Here the final 23-man Algeria World Cup Squad:

Goalkeepers:

Mohamed Zemmamouche (USM Alger), Rais Mbolhi (CSKA Sofia, Bulgaria), Cedric Si Mohamed (CS Constantine).

Defenders:

Carl Medjani (Valenciennes), Aissa Mandi (Reims), Madjid Bougherra (Lekhwiya), Faouzi Ghoulam (Naples), Rafik Halliche (Academica Coimbra), Essaid Belkalem (Watford), Liassine Cadamuro (Majorque), Djamel Mesbah (Livourne), Mehdi Mostefa (AC Ajaccio).

Midfielders:

Sofiane Feghouli (Valence), Saphir Taider (Inter Milan), Medhi Lacen (Getafe), Abdelmoumen Djabou (Club Africain), Yacine Brahimi (Grenade), Hassan Yebda (Udinese), Nabil Bentaleb (Tottenham), Riyad Mahrez (Leicester).

Forwards:

Islam Slimani (Sporting Portugal), Hilal Soudani (Dinamo Zagreb), Nabil Ghilas (FC Porto).

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:49 pm

nzfooty wrote: Sofiane Feghouli (Valence).

Originally thought this was AS Valence in the French fourth division and was impressed that Algeria were bringing someone signed with an amateur side. Should have guessed it was the French spelling for Valencia CF ...
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am

Decent result:
Algeria Beats Romania 2-1 in Fan-Marred Friendly

paquebot wrote:
nzfooty wrote: Sofiane Feghouli (Valence).

Originally thought this was AS Valence in the French fourth division and was impressed that Algeria were bringing someone signed with an amateur side. Should have guessed it was the French spelling for Valencia CF ...

Yeah, some of the reports I have used were not the clearest. Wikipedia's entry on Algeria's squad here.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Well, the confusion was probably unavoidable since I've visited the French town of Valence and seen the football stadium there. :)
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 am

Algeria beat Romania 2-1 last night and sounds like there was a bit of fan trouble at the game also.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... s-23996520

Algeria are looking pretty strong in the run-up to the tournament and Korea seem to be a bit of a shambles...not filling me with confidence.

Think the KFA really should have organised another warm up game at least to help the team get organised. I'm not convinced Hong actually knows his best XI as yet.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:40 pm

I think Algeria flattered themselves a bit against a Belgium who at times looked completely disorganised. Fellaini got the equaliser from a header so a big guy up front might be what is needed to unsettle them. I expect Algeria will sit back a lot even though they need the points, so there won't be much on the quick break. I'd like to see what Kim Shin-wook can do at some point and maybe he should start.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 pm

eujin wrote: I'd like to see what Kim Shin-wook can do at some point and maybe he should start.

Amused reading comments in European papers how well Korea did for a short team against mighty Russia. Certain stereotypes die hard.
Hope Kim unsettles Algeria. Want Korea do well and also someone from the AFC must pick up the baton...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:11 pm

nzfooty wrote:
eujin wrote: I'd like to see what Kim Shin-wook can do at some point and maybe he should start.

Amused reading comments in European papers how well Korea did for a short team against mighty Russia. Certain stereotypes die hard.
Hope Kim unsettles Algeria. Want Korea do well and also someone from the AFC must pick up the baton...

In all fairness I think Koo Ja Cheol (possibly) had said they might struggle with size at set-pieces prior to the match.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 pm

SteveW wrote:
nzfooty wrote:

In all fairness I think Koo Ja Cheol (possibly) had said they might struggle with size at set-pieces prior to the match.

Yeah, I see what you mean and perhaps I should not be getting angry if Koreans themselves are willing to spread that kind of helpful misinformation. :wink:

But also wouldn't completely surprise me if the Koreans were underestimating themselves. Some stuff written in
the comments sections of those papers pissed me off so much I dug up some stats.

Korean p's heights, starting with the goalkeepers (based on Wikipedia):

190 cm/ 1.87 m/ 1.99 m

1.78 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.88 m / 1.84 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.80 m/ 1.86 m / 1.76 m

1.78 m/ 1.80 m/ 1.83 m/ 1.83 m/ 1.80 m / 1.87 m/ 1.80 m

1.83 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.76 m/ 1.98 m/ 1.87 m

182/183 cm = 6 foot.

Would this make Korea one of the "tallest" teams in the competition? any website that looks at those things?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 pm

nzfooty wrote:
SteveW wrote:
nzfooty wrote:

Yeah, I see what you mean and perhaps I should not be getting angry if Koreans themselves are willing to spread that kind of helpful misinformation. :wink:

But also wouldn't completely surprise me if the Koreans were underestimating themselves. Some stuff written in
the comments sections of those papers pissed me off so much I dug up some stats.

Korean p's heights, starting with the goalkeepers (based on Wikipedia):

190 cm/ 1.87 m/ 1.99 m

1.78 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.88 m / 1.84 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.80 m/ 1.86 m / 1.76 m

1.78 m/ 1.80 m/ 1.83 m/ 1.83 m/ 1.80 m / 1.87 m/ 1.80 m

1.83 m/ 1.82 m/ 1.76 m/ 1.98 m/ 1.87 m

182/183 cm = 6 foot.

Would this make Korea one of the "tallest" teams in the competition? any website that looks at those things?

Just for you...and since I have nothing better to do today I got my spreadsheet out again.

Russia v Kor Average Heights

GK 188 v 192 KOR WIN
DF 184 v 182 RUS WIN
MF 178 v 181 KOR WIN
FW 181 v 185 KOR WIN

AVG 182 v 184 KOR WIN

So the average Korean squad member is nearly an inch taller than their Russian counterpart.

Although the Russian defenders are on average larger than the Korean defenders interestingly the Korean defenders are on average bigger than the Russian forwards while the Korean attackers are bigger than the Russian defenders.

Of course the 2 tallest players in the 46 were Wookie and Bummy neither of whom took the field but even taking them down to a normal size Korea is still taller on average.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Right on a roll now.

Korea are taller on average than Algeria also (though they are taller than the Russians)

Again Korea trumps every category except defenders where Algeria win by nearly 3.5cm.

So the reality is possibly that the Korean time are relatively uniform in height and therefore their defenders are slightly smaller than other teams defenders but not generally by much. Korea don't have any 190cm centre halfs for example.

Return to “Korean national team”