2014 World Cup preparation

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2014 World Cup preparation

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Job done, expectations well and truly lowered ahead of the tournament.

Yes, it will be an interesting test of my theory that low expectations are a good thing. And it's not that they're short of decent players either.

If Korea are this bad, what does that say about Greece?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:26 pm

eujin wrote:
Holyjoe wrote:Job done, expectations well and truly lowered ahead of the tournament.

Yes, it will be an interesting test of my theory that low expectations are a good thing. And it's not that they're short of decent players either.

If Korea are this bad, what does that say about Greece?

I get the distinct impression that Korea are just badly prepared for this World Cup.

Changing the manager between qualifying and the tournament won't help but to be honest HMB seems to have taken a pretty laid back approach to getting his team ready and I don't think it will go down well if he loses 3 games and goes out without a point - which at the minute looks incredibly likely.

With no more practice games it looks like his lineup must be pretty settled but its not working. Hopefully when the real stuff starts the players will be more fired up but its certainly not looking good.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:17 am

I'm generally of the opinion that last-minute changes are bad, but Hong clearly needs to switch things up here. Hoping for magic from Park and Koo won't cut it at the World Cup with the form they're in...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm

A lot of gloom and despondency surrounding Korea's chances at this tournament, so this should lift the mood a bit:

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:53 pm

Hong isn't going to play her instead of Pak Chu-yeong is he?

I too have been struct with the pessimism now. Losing 4-0 to Ghana is overdoing the lowering of expectations a bit too much. If they concede an early goal against Russia and then struggle to get back into the match the tournament could head south in a hurry. The problem with having a senior player like Pak Chu-yeong who's got something to prove is that it's his last chance and they're not going to really listen to him while he's struggling and recounting his adventures on the Watford bench, negating the whole point of having him as a senior leader in the team. It's worse as a striker too, as they basically get judged by goals. Koo ja-cheol should be fine as he's young enough to get another shot and his body isn't about to give up on him. Son Heung-min doesn't seem like the type to rally the troops and really needs to play off other players and Ki Seung-yong isn't smart enough to be a leader. Lee Chung-yong is going to need to be the man to step up now.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:32 pm

eujin wrote:Hong isn't going to play her instead of Pak Chu-yeong is he?

I too have been struct with the pessimism now. Losing 4-0 to Ghana is overdoing the lowering of expectations a bit too much. If they concede an early goal against Russia and then struggle to get back into the match the tournament could head south in a hurry. The problem with having a senior player like Pak Chu-yeong who's got something to prove is that it's his last chance and they're not going to really listen to him while he's struggling and recounting his adventures on the Watford bench, negating the whole point of having him as a senior leader in the team. It's worse as a striker too, as they basically get judged by goals. Koo ja-cheol should be fine as he's young enough to get another shot and his body isn't about to give up on him. Son Heung-min doesn't seem like the type to rally the troops and really needs to play off other players and Ki Seung-yong isn't smart enough to be a leader. Lee Chung-yong is going to need to be the man to step up now.

Right now I think I'd settle for a decent showing and a narrow scoring defeat against Russia. They need to score. I almost think losing 2-1 or 3-2 would be more encouraging than scraping a 0-0.

Not sure who they have that can take the team by the scruff of the neck and get them going.

PCY and LCY were the two at the last world cup but they also had a few other experienced heads around them.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

Return to “Korean national team”