GROUP H
Team:
Belgium
Algeria
Russia
Korea Republic

What do you think?
The teams Korea will face:

Belgium have a good young side but some of the players may lack international experience ( but to be honest an awful lot of their players play in top flight divisions.) Their only real weakness are there left backs and rights backs- they aren't the same quality as the rest of the team. However Vertonghen could easily slot into left back like he does for Tottenham. There key player is Eden Hazard from Chelsea.

Russia have a very experienced manager (Fabio Capello) and in general quite a solid team. In the qualifiers they had a decent defensive record conceding only 5 goals but they lost 2 matches away from home. There best player is probably Denisov: a creative centre midfielder with some raw talent.

Algeria is a team I nearly nothing about except they drew with England last World Cup :shock: They are definitely the weakest team in the group but are a very physical side with major defensive frailties.

I expect South Korea to beat Algeria comfortably, they are capable of beating Russia on a good day but may struggle against Belgium. Overall I think the most important game will be against Russia unless Algeria can create a surprise performance or Belgium slip up. Its key that Korea beat Russia and if they do they should be able to proceed to the next round of the World Cup.
One day Michael Brown might score.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Group H summary

Postby SteveW » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Its going to take a pretty big effort for Korea to qualify, Belgium and Russia are top class teams and the current SKNT are largely second rate.

Japan did pretty well in the draw.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 am

Stiggles123 wrote:GROUP H
Team:
Belgium
Algeria
Russia
Korea Republic

What do you think?
The teams Korea will face:

Belgium have a good young side but some of the players may lack international experience ( but to be honest an awful lot of their players play in top flight divisions.) Their only real weakness are there left backs and rights backs- they aren't the same quality as the rest of the team. However Vertonghen could easily slot into left back like he does for Tottenham. There key player is Eden Hazard from Chelsea.

Russia have a very experienced manager (Fabio Capello) and in general quite a solid team. In the qualifiers they had a decent defensive record conceding only 5 goals but they lost 2 matches away from home. There best player is probably Denisov: a creative centre midfielder with some raw talent.

Algeria is a team I nearly nothing about except they drew with England last World Cup :shock: They are definitely the weakest team in the group but are a very physical side with major defensive frailties.

I expect South Korea to beat Algeria comfortably, they are capable of beating Russia on a good day but may struggle against Belgium. Overall I think the most important game will be against Russia unless Algeria can create a surprise performance or Belgium slip up. Its key that Korea beat Russia and if they do they should be able to proceed to the next round of the World Cup.

Why are you so surprised? :smt117

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:51 am

If you expect SK to beat Algeria comfortably... you are mistaking.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm

I think on paper, SK should probably edge Algeria, but I don't see it being easy.

I think Belgium should probably win the group (I think Belgium should be one of the best teams in the world by the NEXT world cup) and Russia will likely join them. Korea most definitely have a chance, but only if they get their act together over the coming months.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Of the four sides I'd expect that Belgium will definitely occupy one of the top two spots to go through.. Russia should be favourites ahead of Korea and Algeria for second place but then that was always going to be the case for Korea in any of the groups they could be drawn in and they would be targeting the 'weaker' of the top two teams in the group in order to progress. They were a Jung Sung-ryong clanger away from a decent draw against the Russians just last month so they can take hope from that, my concern though is that there just isn't the strength and depth available across the positions for Korea and an injury to any of Koo Ja-cheol, Ki Sung-yeung, Son Heung-min or Lee Chung-yong in the run-up to the tournament would really fuck with their chances a lot more than something similar happening to a key player in the Belgian or Russian squads.

They're going to have to actually beat Russia and Algeria if they want to go through I reckon, can't see a draw against Russia being enough as they won't outscore the Russians against Belgium & Algeria so if it comes down to goal difference or goals scored then they haven't a chance with their strikeforce. That's not to take Algeria lightly, but it's a given that if Korea want to make the last sixteen they'll need to take three points from them.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Just for fun... do you think Jung Sung-Ryong will be taken to the 2014 WC? Who will play as GK? Kim Seung-Gyu? The 3rd back-up GK?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

weka wrote:Just for fun... do you think Jung Sung-Ryong will be taken to the 2014 WC? Who will play as GK? Kim Seung-Gyu? The 3rd back-up GK?

Obviously he'll be there if fit. You don't go from #1 to #4 in the snap of a finger.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:50 pm

weka wrote:Just for fun... do you think Jung Sung-Ryong will be taken to the 2014 WC? Who will play as GK? Kim Seung-Gyu? The 3rd back-up GK?

Jung Sung-Ryong will definitely go. He has more experience than the rest of the GKs. Kim Seung-Kyu will probably go as well and the last one to go would be Lee Bum-Young.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:41 pm

FCSeoul wrote:

Jung Sung-Ryong will definitely go. He has more experience than the rest of the GKs. Kim Seung-Kyu will probably go as well and the last one to go would be Lee Bum-Young.

Maybe I am out of the loop but why does Lee Bum-Young get the callup above Shin Hwa-Yong?

@SaintsCanada What about Green for England in the 2010 WC? :P I mean not at a snap but pretty quick progression...

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Probably worth noting the order of the games here.

Korea plays Russia, then Algeria, then finishes up v Belgium.

I don't know if there's a preferable order to play your games in but to my thinking it might be better to have Belgium last. If they played them first they might be content to walk away with a draw, or a creditable hard fought loss, and a draw and a loss later and you're on a flight home. Now they could go into that final game knowing they have to win and playing accordingly, vs a Belgian team that's possibly already on 6 points and sure of a second round spot.

Only time will tell...
Anyang Fo' Life

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:23 pm

weka wrote:
FCSeoul wrote:

Maybe I am out of the loop but why does Lee Bum-Young get the callup above Shin Hwa-Yong?

@SaintsCanada What about Green for England in the 2010 WC? :P I mean not at a snap but pretty quick progression...

Hong Myung-Bo tends to call up his "favorite" players most of the time. Also Lee has had a decent season at Busan.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 am

FCSeoul wrote:
weka wrote:
FCSeoul wrote:

Hong Myung-Bo tends to call up his "favorite" players most of the time. Also Lee has had a decent season at Busan.

I wish KYD and HMB would have be best buddies................

Frozz
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Frozz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 am

The BBC World Football Phone In had a world cup group stage special last week. No one gave Korea a chance of qualifying out of the group. A little harsh I feel. It's definitely possible.
First game against Russia will be the most important. Loose that and they really face an uphill struggle to qualify.

Can't see them getting a result against the Belgians, but Russia and Algeria are fairly even matched teams. Could go either way.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:16 am

Korea's world ranking is misleading. If the players hit form and they're not unduly unlucky, they could beat any team in this group. Belgium are a decent young side, but they're not Brazil. They lost recently to Japan at home.

Return to “Korean national team”