Jan 2014 USA training camp

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Re: Jan 2014 USA training camp

Postby OttoSilver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 pm

The 14th ranked team vs the 53rd ranked team. Suppose it is a fair result.

You know, the US is really strong for a country that give the impression what they consider it nothing more than a women's game :P

What I find disturbing for Korea is that they the team just behind them in the world ranking is South Africa. If you barely beat South Africa then you need to start worrying.
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:40 pm

OttoSilver wrote:The 14th ranked team vs the 53rd ranked team. Suppose it is a fair result.

You know, the US is really strong for a country that give the impression what they consider it nothing more than a women's game :P

What I find disturbing for Korea is that they the team just behind them in the world ranking is South Africa. If you barely beat South Africa then you need to start worrying.

The US has a large population, among them people who are from communities that do not consider football to be a "women's game".
I also don't think that FIFA ranking difference tells us much. USA recently won the Gold Cup, while for Korea the AFC Asian Cup was back in 2011 (add to
the fact that the Gold Cup is held every two years, rather than every four). Between early 2011 and early 2013 both countries had very similar
FIFA rankings (something Korea would be higher, sometimes the US would be higher). Incidentally, at this same point in the four year cycle in Feb 2010
the rankings were US 14 / Korea 49. Both teams then went on to qualify for the second round of the WC.

Nothing to take away from the US who are doing well under Jürgen Klinsmann (better than I thought they would), have a depth to their squad and
if not for the horrible group they ended up in (Germany, Portugal & Ghana) would've been a good bet for a second round spot. Well, maybe they will repeat
their heroics from 2002 when they defeated Portugal 3-2.

Chris Wondolowski scores twice in USA victory over South Korea

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:57 pm

somehow, Korea look worse now than they did during the ineptitude of the Choi Kang-Hee era.

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:33 pm

With Hong's player selection, performances like these were to be expected. Some of the players have or does not have international experience at all.

OttoSilver
National League champion
National League champion

Postby OttoSilver » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:33 pm

nzfooty wrote:The US has a large population, among them people who are from communities that do not consider football to be a "women's game".
I also don't think that FIFA ranking difference tells us much.

Oh, I am fully aware that there is a large footballing population in the US. Looking at the attendances is interesting. Capacity attendance is all over the place, but 20,000 people average is not strange. We could do with that over here. And if it is growing at the rate I hear then soon the US might be one of the major footballing countries in the world. I also know that they way they play int he Americas does skew the ranking big time.

Just saying that it is funny how the opinion popular media represents of sawker is that only girls and pretty boys play it in high school while in reality it is a rather healthy professional sport.

Side fact. Do you know what the US has participated in every single Rugby World Cup?
There are two routes to success in football. One is being good. The other is being lucky. You need both to win a championship. But you need only one to win a match.

Korean Stadiums: http://tinyurl.com/KoreanStadiums

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:32 pm

OttoSilver wrote:Capacity attendance is all over the place, but 20,000 people average is not strange. We could do with that over here. And if it is growing at the rate I hear then soon the US might be one of the major footballing countries in the world. I also know that they way they play int he Americas does skew the ranking big time.

Yeah, MLS ranks 9th in the world in terms of average attendance. Interestingly, the CSL (China) and J.League are just behind them. The CSL are 10th while J.League are 13th (with Football League Championship and 2. Bundesliga between these two Asian leagues). Brazil's top division is only ranked 14th. (Scotland's PL 15th, A-League 17th). K-League comes in only at 35th, behind Indonesia, Vietnam, Iran (and Algeria) and only slightly ahead of the Uzbek and J.League 2 divisions.

Return to “Korean national team”