The State of Football in South Korea

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
Stiggles123
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

The State of Football in South Korea

Postby Stiggles123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:08 am

Sorry about the boring thread topic! Found this article and it's pretty interesting. What do all you think. :D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1825559-assessing-the-current-state-of-football-in-south-korea
One day Michael Brown might score.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: The State of Football in South Korea

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 am

It looks a very fair overview to me. I agree with the main points

Korea are not going to challenge for the title next summer, but have a good chance of reaching the second round or even a quarter final if they can restore their confidence ahead of next summer.

and

K League sides do have a challenge in building supporter numbers, however, with attendances in Korea often surprisingly low even for Champions League clashes with some of the continent's best.

Stiggles123
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Stiggles123 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 am

eujin wrote:It looks a very fair overview to me. I agree with the main points

Korea are not going to challenge for the title next summer, but have a good chance of reaching the second round or even a quarter final if they can restore their confidence ahead of next summer.

and

K League sides do have a challenge in building supporter numbers, however, with attendances in Korea often surprisingly low even for Champions League clashes with some of the continent's best.

Do you know why not many people are going to football matches? Is it because of baseball maybe? I didn't know about that until reading the article. I also think that Korea's national team is possible of getting out of the group stages. I can't see them winning (obviously, but they are more than capable of taking advantage of a good team on their of day (like Ukraine beating France 2-0 recently.) Maybe something like that would help encouraging fans into watching football.
One day Michael Brown might score.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 am

Stiggles123 wrote:

and

Do you know why not many people are going to football matches? Is it because of baseball maybe? I didn't know about that until reading the article. I also think that Korea's national team is possible of getting out of the group stages. I can't see them winning (obviously, but they are more than capable of taking advantage of a good team on their of day (like Ukraine beating France 2-0 recently.) Maybe something like that would help encouraging fans into watching football.

A lot of people think K-League is really poor and they'd rather watch EPL on tv. It's as simple as that.

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 am

daeguowl wrote:
Stiggles123 wrote:

and

A lot of people think K-League is really poor and they'd rather watch EPL on tv. It's as simple as that.

Not quite as simple as that. I'd say the two of you put together have got the answer right.

It's not a coincidence all the biggest football clubs (save Seoul) are in cities with no ball-club.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Agree it's a bit of both, but the disappointing part is that most of the people who say Korean football is shit and so they watch European football have never actually been to games regularly to find out. A decade ago there was no European football on TV and then the excuse was that domestic football is shit so they only watch the national team. The biggest problem is probably getting more people to actually make the effort to attend games to see for themselves, and then making sure it is enjoyable. The average person in most countries would probably agree that watching moderate professional footballers play miles away across an athletics track in a gigantic almost empty stadium to be pretty shite, so a good start would be for more teams to play in smaller tighter grounds with better acoustics and refreshments etc to ensure that watching the same standard of football is a lot more enjoyable. But it will never be easy because there is just no culture of going to football regularly in Korea. In countries like Britain the main reason to watch your team every week is chronic addiction or mild insanity (or both), and these appear to be hereditary, so it would take generations for a culture like that to develop. Won't happen in our lifetimes here probably.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Interesting reading all the comments. No 2c to add from as I have been away for too long but here is an interesting article on the J.League:
How the J-League unites club and community
A little excerpt:
The relationship between players and the supporters is a key element of the league’s success. A study conducted by Ventforet Kofu showed how the involvement of the community is directly related to an increase number of fans in the stadium. Upon their promotion to J1, the club worked as hard as possible to reach out for supporters. By holding some 100 events over the course of each season, they managed to turn an audience of 1,500 into a regularly-packed stadium of more than 10,000, despite Kofu’s rural location.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Wow! That's a hell of an achievement.

Anyang seem to send the players out constantly to schools and other events, but in Korea at least there seems to be little popular appetite for lower division football so the promotion to the top division of that story is probably the most important part.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:56 pm

The league average attendances still look much better for the CSL and J-League compared to the K-League. although it's difficult to know how accurate the numbers are. Just looking quickly at the attendances in the AFC Champions League matches, which ought to be fairly reliable, the Chinese sides all got way more than their Korean group fellows (because the opposition was better?) Urawa got considerably more than Jeonbuk, Kashiwa probably got more than Suwon, Sendai probably got more than Seoul, and Pohang might just have had more than Hiroshima. Greenlion might have the actual figures for us. Ulsan have pretty poor attendance for a team that has a lot of success, a stadium with no running track and a large city that doesn't have a baseball team.

Interestingly, Iranian side Tractor Sazi got 70,000 for their first group match and only 1,000 for their last. Some fans are even more fickle than Koreans!

Return to “Korean national team”