November 2013 friendlies

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
RJB
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Re: November 2013 friendlies

Postby RJB » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:06 am

A victory against a World Cup seed is always a good result.

nzfooty
K-League Classic champion

Postby nzfooty » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:48 am

RJB wrote:A victory against a World Cup seed is always a good result.

Decent result against a solid team and Switzerland have also produced good results at youth level in recent years
BUT
they are fortunate to be at the World Cup, let alone be seeded. Thank the FIFA rankings.

Russia meanwhile drew 1-1 with Serbia in the UAE where they will meet S Korea as well.

FCSeoul
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby FCSeoul » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Holyjoe wrote:A 2-1 win for Korea in the end, Lee Chung-yong heading the winner not long from the end. Decentish second half from Korea after a poor first 45 minutes.

Incidentally every time I see Lee play, which admittedly isn't all that often, I do wonder why on earth he's playing Championship foothall with Bolton. He should be playing at a much higher level as he's clearly got the talent to do so.

The "Trotters" says otherwise.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Agreed. It's Hong's first good result against a decent side isn't it? The Swiss were looking to set a 113 year record of games undefeated if they had managed to avoid defeat. They were missing regular starters Shaqiri, Rodriguez, Djourou, Lichtsteiner and Behrami though injuries and their goal scorer Kasami was on his starting debut, but the match report in the Zurich paper says they were dominated by the Koreans throughout the match who were clearly superior in all aspects. It also says Hitzfeld will have a lot to think about on the long flight home. I can certainly confirm it is a long flight home, especially if they try to fly via Heathrow. I don't know how long they were in Korea but maybe the jetlag also played a role. I know it would with me.

We've got an ROKfootball correspondent in Switzerland haven't we? Ghost...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:10 pm

The Swiss squad can't be in much of a rush to make that long journey home as they were at Gyeongbukgung today doing the touristy thing:

jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion

Postby jamesedrupt » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:54 am

I thought Kim Shoon Ook gave the Swiss defence problems all night. He must be the next Korean to play out of the Kleague. With all respect to Ulsan, he needs to make a step up to forfill his undoubted potential.

daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Postby daeguowl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:12 am

jamesedrupt wrote:I thought Kim Shoon Ook gave the Swiss defence problems all night. He must be the next Korean to play out of the Kleague. With all respect to Ulsan, he needs to make a step up to forfill his undoubted potential.

I wish he wouldnt go to ground so easily.

Ghost
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Ghost » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 pm

eujin wrote:

Agreed. It's Hong's first good result against a decent side isn't it? The Swiss were looking to set a 113 year record of games undefeated if they had managed to avoid defeat. They were missing regular starters Shaqiri, Rodriguez, Djourou, Lichtsteiner and Behrami though injuries and their goal scorer Kasami was on his starting debut, but the match report in the Zurich paper says they were dominated by the Koreans throughout the match who were clearly superior in all aspects. It also says Hitzfeld will have a lot to think about on the long flight home. I can certainly confirm it is a long flight home, especially if they try to fly via Heathrow. I don't know how long they were in Korea but maybe the jetlag also played a role. I know it would with me.

We've got an ROKfootball correspondent in Switzerland haven't we? Ghost...

I was in the World Cup Stadium as one of the very few Swiss. I thought Korea did look very sharp during the whole match.In the first half Switzerland seemed to be able to contain Korea pretty well. In the second half Korea as rreally a lot better and thus deserved the win. The changes in the second half in the Swiss defense made it worse. If it wasn't for the goalkeeper Diego Benaglio Switzerland could even have conceded more. I thought Korea's Son, Lee Chung Yong and Lee Keun Ho were outstanding.

It is possible that jetlag was an influence. The arrived on Thursday 11am with Finnair and the next day was already the match day. Still I felt they should have done better. Still I am very happy about Korea's performance though...
Supporting:
Gyeongnam FC
Korean National Team
Swiss National Team

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:37 pm

Ghost wrote:It is possible that jetlag was an influence. The arrived on Thursday 11am with Finnair and the next day was already the match day.

Ha! I told my wife we should've gone to Korea on Finnair, but she's a British girl all the way, so it had to be BA.

Thanks for the report. I wonder if this little girl was there too. She must be old enough by now to be a potty-mouthed Suwon fan.
http://pann.nate.com/video/41611968

jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion

Postby jamesedrupt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

15 mins in against the Russians, and already 1-1.

Jung Sung Ryeong with yet another howler for Russia's leveller!!!

jamesedrupt
National League champion
National League champion

Postby jamesedrupt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

15 mins in against the Russians, and already 1-1.

Jung Sung Ryeong with yet another howler for Russia's leveller!!!

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:29 am

Oh man can't wait to see that one.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 am

JSR needs long winter week. I have been keep telling that.
Blue is the color!

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am

Saw the highlights, that was an absolute clanger from Jung. He's got three games left of this season with Suwon and then a deserved break in the month of December before the National Team go to the USA in January for a training camp. That's a tough one for Hong, he'll probably bring Jung along with him but at the same time he's going to have to start giving serious playing time to alternative keepers to have an alternative plan for next summer...

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 am

Return to “Korean national team”