K-League Classic champion

Re: World Cup qualifiers (June 2013)

Postby eujin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:10 am

njs wrote:I backed Lebanon at $7.50

FUCK!!!!!

I also backed Aussie at $3.90

FUCK!!!!!

Lucky I only ever make $1 bets. $30 in my account lasts me about 4-6 weeks :?

My brother, in his infinite wisdom, had some accumulator on that all went through until the last match which was Denmark vs Netherlands at the beginning of the Euro 2012. He stood to make some thousands of dollars if Denmark lost. It just so happened that we were all watching the match at my uncle's birthday party along with a whole bunch of other guests and my brother was the only one who needed to pretend to be supporting Denmark. A historic victory went through, he was seriously miffed, got very drunk that night and hopefully will never bet against them again.

Roarchild
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby Roarchild » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I have bet against Australia a few times and I don't even gamble very often.

It's never been enough money that I found myself cheering for the other team though.

Australia has a large gambling and casual sports following culture. So whenever the Socceroos were in a high profile game patriotism kicks in and the odds for the Socceroos are way shorter than they should be.

I remember Australia playing Uruaguay in Uruaguay and a win for Uruaguay was paying $2.5 at the local TAB which is the easiest way to bet (shops everywhere) and always offers the stingiest odds (run by the government).

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 am

So a 1-0 win it is, first clean sheet for ages though the solitary goal came courtesy of an Uzbek putting through his own net. No matter, it's three points and now just a point will do at home to Iran next week to qualify. Goal difference is such that even a slim defeat (by one or two goals) should be enough as Uzbekistan would need to put at least five past Qatar next week to move above them. How much $$$ to make that happen?

We've not had foreign fans on the pitch at a national team game for a while, from the photos on Daum he managed to shake hands with a good few Uzbekistan players before the hired goons managed to get hold of him:

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:06 pm

I'm not at all comfortable for Korea. Let's face it, Qatar aren't a top-class team, and I believe Uzbekistan hosts the game. I could easily see this terrible Korea team losing to Iran. It just gets worse and worse under Choi. He hasn't a clue. Why in hell is Lee Dong-Gook anywhere near the team? He came on before Ji Dong-Won last night. WTF?! Why was Korea's substitute centre-back last night some guy from Daegu nobody has ever heard of? There are plenty of better centre-backs around the league -- how many goals has Daegu conceded this year, fercryinoutloud? Both of Incheon's starters are better than this guy, surely -- and that's just one club.

Korea should in all probability go through, but it's far from a sure thing.

Is the first tie-breaker goal-difference? Must be, right? Or else Korea would already be through, having beaten and drawn the Uzbeks.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

Roarchild

Postby Roarchild » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Australia have played decent football in the last couple of games so it was a nice reminder of past pains to watch Korea launch a long ball, headed down followed by an eventual own goal.

That was the only score of the match.

A classic Socceroos .. I mean Korean moment.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

On the evidence of last night, I could easily see Korea losing 2 or 3 nil against Iran.

The question then remains whether or not Uzbekistan can stick 4 past Qatar.

This is not at all beyond the realms of possibility IMO. Squeaky bum time for the Koreans.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

I hope the KFA have done the whole 'Iran team in a hotel next to the shipyards' thing, time to get on the phone to Hyundai and get them doing their important, noisy work at night this weekend...

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Famous last words, but Uzbekistan don't score very often and Qatar don't concede that many (Korea the only team to have put four past them in the last couple of years, I think). Korea will be fine. I think.

Presumably the two games are kicking off at the same time, hence the 9pm start in Ulsan? Or could Uzbekistan be kicking off their game a few hours later knowing exactly what they need to do to get through?

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:01 pm

Holyjoe wrote:Famous last words, but Uzbekistan don't score very often and Qatar don't concede that many (Korea the only team to have put four past them in the last couple of years, I think). Korea will be fine. I think.

Presumably the two games are kicking off at the same time, hence the 9pm start in Ulsan? Or could Uzbekistan be kicking off their game a few hours later knowing exactly what they need to do to get through?

I don't have a concern about qualifying for the tournament, but I can't see them getting out of the group with the current side.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm

I would be astounded if the new manager keeps anything resembling the current back-four or midfield.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Are any other rokkers going to the game Tuesday?

Spatula City
Cabbage country dweller
Cabbage country dweller
Location: South of the (Ulsan) Border, West of the Sun (and fun in Haeundae)

Postby Spatula City » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm

sjc_three wrote:Are any other rokkers going to the game Tuesday?

I'll be there.

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:10 am

Keep going back to check the forecast, and it's still Tuesday as a lone day of rain surrounded by 0% precipitation on either said. Keep hoping there'll be some swing and it'll change, but the closer it gets, I guess the more accurate those forecasts become. It says thunderstorms actually, so definitely no pre match pedalo action on the cards at the moment.

jongseungki14

Postby jongseungki14 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:07 am

i dont see us losing to the Iranians 3-0. Iran has had worse results in all their matches besides their unjust win vs Uzbeks (good goal disallowed) and vs us at home. a 4-0 win over an already disqualified Lebanon doesnt imo turn a team that scored 3 goals in their previous 6 matches into a world beater.

most important stat is Koreas home qualification record which is virtually blemish free. i expect a boring draw but could see Korea pull a 2-0 win if we score early.

both the Uzbekistan vs Qatar and Korea vs Iran matches start at the same time FYI.

everyones entitled to his/her own opinion but lets not get facts wrong: Kim Ki-Hee is a Daegu player but was loaned out last season mostly due to playing time and Daegu needing the cash.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:36 am

Last words almost as famous as Holyjoe's, but I don't see them losing 3-0 to Iran either. Stranger things have happened though....recently....in matches I've been at.

Return to “Korean national team”