Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
daeguowl
National League champion
National League champion

Re: World Cup qualifiers (June 2013)

Postby daeguowl » Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 pm

daeguowl wrote:
Spatula City wrote:Thanks Holyjoe!

Two weeks in advance from Hana Bank. But they'll probably go on sale at the same time as Uzbek tix. The kfa website will give the date.

And is Kim Chi-woo really one of the best two left backs in Korea?

Tickets for both matches go on sale on 28th May...i'll be getting tickets for the Uzbek game for the Seoul Boys. If any other rokkers want to join give me a shout.

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm

Lebanon vs South Korea

I expect a win today.... :smt117

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Remind me again why South Korea plays its home qualifiers at late kickoff times to play nice with the West Asian countries? The game tonight is at 2:30 am in Korea.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:54 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:Remind me again why South Korea plays its home qualifiers at late kickoff times to play nice with the West Asian countries? The game tonight is at 2:30 am in Korea.

Because of the 11hr time difference between both countries!

fezmond
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby fezmond » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 am

weka wrote:
SaintsCanada wrote:Remind me again why South Korea plays its home qualifiers at late kickoff times to play nice with the West Asian countries? The game tonight is at 2:30 am in Korea.

Between Lebanon and Korea? Only 6 hours time difference

weka
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby weka » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 am

fezmond wrote:
weka wrote:

Between Lebanon and Korea? Only 6 hours time difference

I really need to go to bed.

eujin
K-League Classic champion

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 am

they're losing at the moment, but laying siege to the Lebanese goal

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:25 am

Half-time and they're losing 1-0. Iran won their match so the current table has Iran level with Korea and Lebanon and Qatar only 3 points back with a match more. Interesting times.

It's not even hot in Beirut at the moment, maybe the jet-lag is really hurting them. Fair play to the Lebanese, they schedule the match in the middle of the night, pack the defence, take advantage of mistakes and try to hold on. It would almost be a crisis if Korea lost twice to Lebanon in the same qualifying tournament.

fezmond

Postby fezmond » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 am

Just can't score. Keep hitting the posts

fezmond

Postby fezmond » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:24 am

I don't believe it...7 mins into injury time, deflected free kick for 1-1

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 am

Kim Chi-woo was already Korea's man of the match. There were some doubters on here...

Top of the group, all of a sudden. Great stuff.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:29 am

I've always loved that name, kimchi woo! Woo hoo indeed after that late equaliser. Win at home against Uzbekistan and they're as good as qualified. What's all the fuss about?

SaintsCanada
National League champion
National League champion

Postby SaintsCanada » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:47 am

Where to begin. Awful, AWFUL pile of 'football-match' I woke up at 2:25am to step into. At least I got to watch in English on Star! By the way, I believe they will show the other two Korea matches as well, but I'm not sure if they'll also be live. I'm guessing they will due to their importance for all 3 involved teams.

Lebanon were pathetic. Choi's starting-11 was ridiculous, and Korea's play was turrrrrible. Sure they outplayed Lebanon -- whoopty-do.

Lee Dong-Gook shouldn't play for Korea again. He has looked past it all season long for both club and country -- save the occasional decent performance in the ACL. As I said when he was brought into the squad last season, it was a mistake. He will be too old by the World Cup (he's actually a year ahead of schedule compared to my prediction), and they're losing 2 valuable years of experience to the next generation of strikers they'll need to rely on in Brazil and beyond.

Lee Geun-Ho was chicken-shit. He refused to take on the shot in obvious goal-scoring chances, and his passing link-up with Dong-Gook was laughable. They couldn't complete 5-10 yard passes with only green grass in between them.

Lee Cheong-Yong was getting kicked all night and making a meal almost Lebanese in proportion each time he did. In between these incidents he was putting in a few Scholesesque tackles of his own. He was lucky his yellow-card was only the first because he probably should have been booked just a couple minutes earlier. He contributed almost nothing to the Korean attack -- aside from the physical stuff he was anonymous.

Now, to the back-four -- ATTROCIOUS. When Lebanon was on the ball, the Korean back-line was NEVER straight. A back-four, when defending should move up and down the field together in a straight-line. The Korean back-four looked as if they were literally amateur footballers who had never even met each other before. It was sickening.

Kim Chi-Woo was, for the first hour of the match the stand-out of horrendousness. It must have been one of the worst 60 minutes of football played in the Korean national shirt by a single-player. His defending was awful, and his passing and set-pieces were monumentally bad. It was ridiculous he stayed on the pitch for the entire match -- how ironic that because of this he pops up with a goal in the 800th minute of stoppage time.

Thank goodness Jung Seong-Ryong had one of the better games I've seen him play. He was beyond solid. In fact, he looks to have improved this season. Hopefully he can finally be Korea's starter on merit rather than on managerial stupidity.

Man of the match? There can be only one -- the man in yellow. He was very strong, and absolutely needed to be. I don't recall him getting an important call wrong, although I thought an offside Lebanese player came very close to winning a penalty (can't blame the ref for that call, though, completely the assistant's decision). Fortunately the ref correctly saw that the Korean defender went shoulder to shoulder and got the smallest knick on the ball before tripping the Lebanese.

I would like to see major changes for the next qualifier, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
오오오오오, 나의 사랑 인천 에프시!

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm

SaintsCanada wrote:Kim Chi-Woo was, for the first hour of the match the stand-out of horrendousness. It must have been one of the worst 60 minutes of football played in the Korean national shirt by a single-player. His defending was awful, and his passing and set-pieces were monumentally bad. It was ridiculous he stayed on the pitch for the entire match -- how ironic that because of this he pops up with a goal in the 800th minute of stoppage time.

He seems unpopular in some parts, but midway through the first half he had the free-kick that was tipped over the bar and also the cross to Kim Shin-wook that was virtually an open goal. He would also have had an assist if Kim Tae-hwi's header hadn't hit the post. Generally I don't think they were short on chances, especially from set-pieces, several of which came from fouls on Kim Chi-woo, and him and Kim Bo-kyung provided most of the deliveries, they just didn't convert and didn't look too clever in defence. They hit the woodwork three times, but at times played like it was the middle of the night or something.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 pm

I backed Lebanon at $7.50

FUCK!!!!!

I also backed Aussie at $3.90

FUCK!!!!!

Lucky I only ever make $1 bets. $30 in my account lasts me about 4-6 weeks :?
Anyang Fo' Life

Return to “Korean national team”