South Korea vs UAE (WCQ) October 11

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: South Korea vs UAE (WCQ) October 11

Postby eujin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:48 pm

mr methane wrote:But I'm really not very confident that this team is going to be in Brazil in 2014. Or am I overdoing the pessimism?

A quick look back at the moaning on the thread for the same stage of the 2010 competition suggests you're overdoing it.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 pm

eujin wrote:
mr methane wrote:But I'm really not very confident that this team is going to be in Brazil in 2014. Or am I overdoing the pessimism?

A quick look back at the moaning on the thread for the same stage of the 2010 competition suggests you're overdoing it.

Korea might not be playing well at the moment but there is lack of depth in Asia, which means it's hard to see them not qualifying.

Last time we had Australia, Japan, S Korea and N Korea at the finals. N Korea already look out. Iran are looking like they are a good bet for the automatic qualification spot (vacated by N Korea). So who could then take S Korea's place? China? No, they are again in self-destruct mode. Saudi Arabia? They are currently 7 points behind Australia, and 2 points behind Thailand in their group and not looking particularly threatening.

That would leave the likes of Iraq, Uzbekistan and Qatar but given the format of the qualifiers, Korea should be able to recover from a slip-up here and there.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

eujin wrote:

Korea are topping their group and have a home game to come against their closest competitor. Unless they mess up badly they will win this stage.

They'd have to go some to not be in at least 2nd place in the next round unless they were in a group with Japan and Australia and assuming that won't happen with seeding etc no doubt being used.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

mr methane
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby mr methane » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:03 pm

nzfooty wrote:Korea might not be playing well at the moment but there is lack of depth in Asia, which means it's hard to see them not qualifying.

Last time we had Australia, Japan, S Korea and N Korea at the finals. N Korea already look out. Iran are looking like they are a good bet for the automatic qualification spot (vacated by N Korea). So who could then take S Korea's place? China? No, they are again in self-destruct mode. Saudi Arabia? They are currently 7 points behind Australia, and 2 points behind Thailand in their group and not looking particularly threatening.

That would leave the likes of Iraq, Uzbekistan and Qatar but given the format of the qualifiers, Korea should be able to recover from a slip-up here and there.

Of course, that makes sense, and partly my negativity is just from being a bit pissed off with how I think Korea have stagnated over the last couple of years and how I think they've made a poor choice of coach.

I agree, they SHOULD, even performing as at the moment, be comfortably good enough for 2nd place in their group in the next round, assuming they don't end up with 2 out of Japan/Australia/Iran in the same group. Lee Chung-Yong returning will also surely help their cause a bit.

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm

mr methane wrote:
nzfooty wrote:Korea might not be playing well at the moment but there is lack of depth in Asia, which means it's hard to see them not qualifying.

Of course, that makes sense, and partly my negativity is just from being a bit pissed off with how I think Korea have stagnated over the last couple of years and how I think they've made a poor choice of coach.

I agree, they SHOULD, even performing as at the moment, be comfortably good enough for 2nd place in their group in the next round, assuming they don't end up with 2 out of Japan/Australia/Iran in the same group. Lee Chung-Yong returning will also surely help their cause a bit.

I'm sure they will make the finals....I hope they can find one or two players before then that can make a difference. One area that worries me is in goal.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

peggyfuentes
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby peggyfuentes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:12 am

Korea is one of the best team in asia. They surely have a chance..
I love soccer I like world cup brazil

theglobalgnome

Postby theglobalgnome » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:15 pm

Starters are Jung Sung-Ryung; Cha Du-Ri, Hong Chul, Lee Jung-Soo, Kwak Tae-Hwi; Hong Jeong-Ho, Lee Young-Rae, Koo Ja-Cheol; Seo Jung-Jin, Park Chu-Young, Ji Dong-Won

Good to see Jeonbuk's Seo starting after a decent cameo against Poland. UAE defending in numbers early on. Might need to sacrifice Hong or Lee from for a bit more creativity later on - unless Cho's just come for a point, of course.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:22 pm

globalgnome, you have noticed that it's November now, right?

theglobalgnome

Postby theglobalgnome » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:41 pm

eujin wrote:globalgnome, you have noticed that it's November now, right?

Good point. Thanks. Try again here

Return to “Korean national team”