Japan vs Korea, Aug 10, 2011

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Japan vs Korea, Aug 10, 2011

Postby eujin » Tue May 17, 2011 1:49 am

The JFA have announced the Asian champions will host a friendly against Korea in the Sapporo Dome on Aug 10th, 2011.

This will come after Japan have competed in the Copa America in July and before the start of World Cup qualification. Both Korea and Japan have byes into the third round of the AFC qualifying tournament for the 2014 World Cup . The groups of four will be drawn at the end of July and will start in September 2011 with Korea and Japan both seeded.

http://forum.rokfootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2408&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

theglobalgnome
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Re: Japan vs Korea, Aug 10, 2011

Postby theglobalgnome » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Here's the squad:

Goalkeepers - Jung Sung-Ryong (Suwon Bluewings), Kim Young-Kwang (Ulsan Hyundai), Kim Jin-Hyun (Cerezo Osaka)

Defenders - Park Joo-Ho (FC Basel), Lee Jae-Seong (Ulsan Hyundai), Kim Young-Kwon (Omiya Ardija), Kwak Tae-Hwi (Ulsan Hyundai), Park Won-Jae (Jeonbuk Motors), Lee Jung-Soo (Al-Sadd), Cho Young-Cheol (Albirex Niigata), Cha Du-Ri (Celtic)

Midfielders - Lee Yong-Rae (Suwon Bluewings), Kim Bo-Kyung (Cerezo Osaka), Kim Jung-Woo (Sangju Sangmu Phoenix), Ji Dong-Won (Sunderland), Koo Ja-Cheol (VfL Wolfsburg), Ki Sung-Yueng (Celtic), Lee Chung-Yong (Bolton), Yoon Bit-Garam (Gyeongnam FC), Nam Tae-Hee (Valenciennes)

Forwards - Son Heung-Min (Hamburg SV), Lee Keun-Ho (Gamba Osaka), Park Chu-Young (Monaco), Kim Shin-Wook (Ulsan Hyundai)

If Korea win, they will be take over the crown of Unofficial World Champions!

theglobalgnome

Postby theglobalgnome » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

theglobalgnome wrote:If Korea win, they will be take over the crown of Unofficial World Champions!

Here's a preview of the match from the UFWC website: http://www.ufwc.co.uk/2011/08/japan-vs-south-korea-ufwc-title-match-preview/

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Surprisingly little interest in this fixture on the board. Dortmund's manager was complaing about international friendlies four days after the Bundesliga (Germany are playing Brazil). Shinji Kagawa has the travel half way round the world and then back for a midweek fixture. He played the whole game against Hamburg and played very well. If he's the future for Japan then their future looks bright, although he'll probably be too jet-lagged to do much on Wednesday. Son Heung-min didn't play for Hamburg he's apprently got the flu. Ku Ja-cheol didn't get off the bench for Wolfsburg. The opinion in the German press was that he's too inexperienced to take over the play-maker role from Diego. Uchida sat on the bench for Schlake, Usami likewise for Bayern and Hosogai for Augsburg. Okazaki got one minute for Stuttgart.

So apart from Kagawa the Japnese should be reasonably fresh if a bit jet-lagged. With Park Ji-seong, Lee Cheong-yong and possibly Son Heung-min out for Korea and Park Chu-yong floating around in no man's land at Monaco it might be a chance for someone new to pop up and make a name for themselves.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 pm

I dont usually watch meaningless friendlies so i suppose that is why this one has slipped over my head...no doubt I will watch this one but just because it is on the TV. World Cup/Asia cup qualifiers and I am a lot more interested.

I suppose all my focus is currently on the K_league and the start of the premier league this weekend.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

To boo or not to boo Tadanari Lee?

JI Dong-won has stayed behind in England with Sunderland. Cho Kwang-rae hasn't had much luck in picking overseas players not involved in the match-fixing business. The less jet-lagged they are the better I would've thought. Mustoe's man Park Hyur-bum has been brought in from the above list. But why isn't Yeom Ki-hun in the squad?

It's a bit crowded in central midfield but I expect Cho will go with the 4-2-3-1 with possibly Ku Ja-cheol behind the striker and Ki Seong-yong and Kim Jeong-u with his recent goal-scoring form playing more defensively, but those three could easily be switched around with each other and Yun Bit-garam as well. I'd love to see someone like Ee Keun-ho get the winner.

I see that Korea is tied with Australia and the Netherlands Antilles at the bottom of the rankings table for Rothesay's unofficial world championship. I wonder how many other things Korea is tied bottom with Australia and the Netherlands Antilles for. Go for the win Korea!

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 pm

I've had one eye on the game....the Aussie cricket ODI vs. Sri lanka has my other one, actually probably about 80% of my attention.

What i have seen though...Korea havent looked great, a couple of good moves but Japan javing no problem moving through the midfield. They deserve to be up at the half.

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Oh dear. My prediction that Kagawa wouldn't do much was well wide of the mark. Bragging rights to Japan. They've moved even further ahead as the best team in Asia. I don't think it looked too bad for Korea going in to the World Cup qualifiers though. Kim Shin-ook's shooting didn't look too good, but Korea deserved a goal or two. Ku Ja-cheol missed a sitter which might have gone differently if he'd been match-sharp and he shouldn't be playing on the wing.

just because
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby just because » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Korea were extremely wasteful of their chances that is for certain

Perth_Tom
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Perth_Tom » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Japan looking like a very good outfit. You could feel the unfamiliarity some of the Korean players had with their teammates through the TV screen.

Evergreen
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Evergreen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Japan were by far the better side. Korea's finishing looked to be the usual K-League standard.

Suwonesque
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby Suwonesque » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Many things to say about this game.
Japan showed today that why they are Asian Champions. They played really well and deserved to win.
Korea miss Park Ji-Sung and Yi Chong Yeong. If Park Chu Yong plays like today, he doesn't deserve to play in Bolton, not to mention Liverpool and Tottenham.

After watching Koo Ja-Cheol, I thought Yeom Ki-hun could have played better than him.

And, after all Cho Kwang-rae is not a good tactician.
Blue is the color!

Return to “Korean national team”