North Korea June 22nd

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: North Korea June 22nd

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Let me be the first to predict it will end 0-0. Both teams will be more concerned with not losing than winning and neither team has what I would call a potent attack. The ROK might scrape a goal off someone's ankle or the ref, but I'll go with 0-0.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:25 pm

They don't have matching team ties?

Does anyone know if they're also sending an official fan club/cheering section? Will they mingle with the fans outside the ground before the game? The Jordanians/Arabs did and a good time was had by all.

Are North Korean flags legal or illegal inside the ground for fans? I suspect they're technically illegal outside the ground due to the NSL. One of my Korean friends was even surprised that SBS played their national anthem during the Shanghai game (technically one might be commiting a crime if one failed to report this). :smt087

hihi
Kim Byung-ji's hairdresser

Postby hihi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Just because we are still in a war with the North, it doesn't mean we still live in the 50's.

drew
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby drew » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I would't expect a supports group being let into the country b/c of the chance of seeing/hearing something that would damage their communist fed minds.

nzfooty

Postby nzfooty » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:08 pm

Drew seems to have missed your post, Cyclops, so I'm reposting.

Cyclops wrote:Jeju's a lot nicer than Seoul IMO, but that's not my main point. Pyongyang is actually an attractive looking city. If you took away all the neon lights here and replaced some of the buildings with grass and trees then Seoul would look a bit like it. The North Korean team are international footballers. They have all travelled to numerous countries outside their home country, and even though they may (or may not) believe in their country's political system they will already be fully aware there are differences here and elsewhere. Some of the squad live and play outside NK anyway. It's not as if a team of bumpkins have been plucked out of a swamp to come to Seoul and gawk at all the big TV screens.

So personally I don't think that is the North's reason for being reluctant to come here. I think they just like being awkward.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:53 pm

I was talking about this with a friend at lunch. He reckons that a North Korean flag on its own is probably illegal, but a North Korean flag together with a South Korean flag is probably OK.

I might try to keep a low profile though, if I can get into the ground! Even with pre-purchased tickets the queues were pretty long against Jordan.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:58 pm

If I remember correctly there was quite a large section of North Korean fans at the Shanghai game, all wearing the same coloured raincoats. I don't know if they were Chinese or North Koreans though. I suspect most North Koreans in China like to play it rather low key.

Mind you they probably have embassy staff in Beijing who are easily cajouled into a day trip, whereas I don't think they have official diplomatic relations with ROK.

teppic
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby teppic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 pm

has the game sold out?

basically, is there time for me to pick up a couple of tickets?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 pm

teppic wrote:has the game sold out?

basically, is there time for me to pick up a couple of tickets?

Out of the 14,000 or so tickets that were available online, there are still around 2,500 remaining (Bigfoot website has details).. no idea how Hana Bank sales have been going but it's pretty safe to assume there will be a reasonable amount of tickets available on the day. Ticket offices open at 1pm on matchday and I would suggest going down early, though maybe not that early, because as eujin pointed out queues even to get into the ground when holding tickets are pretty long - queues to buy tickets at KNT games even ninety minutes before kickoff can be ridiculous too.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:40 pm

eujin wrote:They don't have matching team ties?

Funnily enough, I noticed that two of the overseas-based North Koreans who flew over (not figured out who Serbia-based Hong Yong-ho is yet and not sure of any others playing abroad) weren't wearing red ties like most of the other players - Jung Tae-se and Ahn Young-hak:

It might be the light, but did Ahn change his tie between the picture in Beijing above and arrival at Incheon? Interesting they pinned the wee loyalty badges on mid-flight - thought North Koreans were required to wear them at all times?

Some sort of squad politics at work? A lack of red ties to go around? Or just pretty bloody inconsequential in the grand scheme of things?

Enough from the fashion police...

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:21 am

I always thought the USS Pueblo crew were lucky to get away with this when the North Koreans found out about "the finger".

But I'd read nothing into the airport dress-up. Probably they just got given the badges while they were on the plane.

hihi

Postby hihi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 am

HJ, the first picture you posted were taken way back when the two arrived in Shanghai for our first encounter.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:17 am

hihi wrote:HJ, the first picture you posted were taken way back when the two arrived in Shanghai for our first encounter.

Fair enough, it did look a bit out of place in amongst all the other shots of the players arriving at Incheon airport (from this article on Thursday evening).

Someone should buy them some novelty ties...

SteveW
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby SteveW » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:37 am

eujin wrote:If I remember correctly there was quite a large section of North Korean fans at the Shanghai game, all wearing the same coloured raincoats. I don't know if they were Chinese or North Koreans though. I suspect most North Koreans in China like to play it rather low key.

Mind you they probably have embassy staff in Beijing who are easily cajouled into a day trip, whereas I don't think they have official diplomatic relations with ROK.

Think there's a pretty thriving NK community in Shanghai.

I remember there being at least 1 NK restaurant in town with the big flag etc, and NK beer on sale.

Probably similar to Japan where a lot of the Korean community is NK through family ties.
2014 Cass Lemon ROKfootball Prediction League Cup Competition brought to you in association with Dal Shabet Champion!!!

Groundhopping: the48club.wordpress.com

SEFC: seoulelandfc.wordpress.com

48 Club Count = 47. ONE TO GO!

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 pm

I hope there wasn't anybody who stayed at home because they thought they wouldn't be able to get tickets. There were plenty of empty seats.

As for the match there's not much to say. Both teams played very cautiously in the first half. The North sometimes had eleven men behind their own centre circle. Jong Tae-se had a decent work-out up front but was too isolated to have any effect. In the second half the North started leaving a few more forward . It wasn't clear whether this was tactical or tiredness but I expect the coach decided to "go for it" in the loosest possible terms.

With about half an hour left to play the South switched to what looked like a 4-2-3-1 formation and things started to open up a bit more. Both teams had decent chances, so it wasn't exactly a girl guides cooperative sports day, but the final result wasn't surprising.

I had the entertainment of watching my Korean friend try to support both teams in his "unification blue" t-shirt. It seemed like some of the foreigners were supporting the South more than the Koreans were and there were certainly a lot of foreigners at the game.

Return to “Korean national team”