World Cup 2018

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby eujin » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 am

Group C is turning into a bit of lovefest. After the captains of Australia, Denmark and France lobbied to get Peruvian captain Paolo Guerrero reinstated when FIFA tried to ban him for taking cocaine, now the Danish National Choir has rewritten the words of the Danish national anthem to be about Peru.

Hopefully one day we'll learn to be as gracious to people with unusual wardrobe choices.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:59 pm

So how do we think Korea will do then? I haven't been keeping up with the expectations in Korea. Losing at home to a non-qualifier Bosnia 3-1 in your send-off match is not ideal preparation. Results since Shin took over from Stielike don't show much sign for encouragement, apart maybe from a 2-1 win over an understrength Colombia side back in November and the East Asia title with Asian based players. It's been a while though since they failed to score. They can't rely solely on Son Heung-min for attacking intent (a problem Denmark also have with over reliance on a Spurs player.) so hopefully Hwang Hee-chan gets plenty of playing time and has a breakout tournament.

They're in a tough group and right now I would consider it a success if they get a point. It would be good to see Kim Seung-gyu save a penalty and while I've kept really quiet about it at work, I would love it if they beat Germany, love it. Hopefully they're still fighting for the title by that point and Mexico still need to go to Jekaterinburg and get something. Maybe I should stick a pink tutu on it.

What are the expectations in Korea from the fans and the media? Are there many Korean fans going? Late night public viewings in Gwanghwamun?

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:02 am

I don't see much realistic chance of Korea making it out.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 am

The BBC's Australia World Cup preview is mainly about Aussie Rules.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44315315

I learnt more, considerably more, watching Peter Schmeichel on RT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjaFyE1UJ1o

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Can't work out whether I like Peter Schmeichel or not.

On one hand, he was a great footballer and seems a nice guy.
On the other hand it seems like he can do anything and he looks younger than me despite being born a decade earlier.

Just a few days to go. Predictions-

Spain to win it, England to go out on penalties, Mo Salah to break down at some point, Portugal to go out in the first round and Argentina in the 2nd.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 am

My predictions: I'm still going with Argentina to win it. I haven't really got a good reason for that other than it has to be someone who's won it before and they have Messi. He's the only player capable of conjuring up a goal whenever he feels like it, something that gets increasingly useful as the tournament progresses and the matches get tighter. If teams try too hard to shut him down then the rest of the Argentinian side have enough class to take advantage. I'm not buying this talk of Neymar, and Ronaldo has already had his time in the national team sun. I'll even add semis of France vs Brazil and Germany vs Argentina.

I've convinced myself that Portugal have to be the flop of the tournament. If they lose their opener against Spain (more likely to end 0-0) I could also see them losing to Morocco or Iran. Going out in the groups might not be much of an underachievement for them but they are European champions, so that will outrank whatever disaster befalls the hosts or Tunisia who were last month ranked 14th in the world by those wise owls at FIFA.

For surprise of the tournament I could see Senegal doing well, but it is really going to have to be whichever team joins Uruguay out of group A. The opening match is actually a fascinating battle to see who will be the worst team at the tournament, bringing together as it does the two lowest FIFA ranked teams. It will be interesting to see if Putin shows up. He knows Russia will have to get knocked out somewhere and won't want to associate himself too much. Apparently he doesn't much care for football anyway. The qualifiers from group A will play the teams that get through from Portugal's group, so we could well end up with at least one rank-outsider in the quarter-finals.

I think there's a 50-50 chance of one of the matches not being played to the full 90 minutes, either because of trouble, or boycotts or politics. The world has been getting like that recently and it makes for great clickbait. Our World Cup predictions on this site are a bit hit and miss though. One of our favourite commenters on here even predicted that Korea and Russia would make it out of group H in 2014. :smt109

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 am

I wonder who the Rothesay Unofficial World Champions are. Let's have a look...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unofficia ... mpionships

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 pm

Uh-oh. Shin is playing the race card. They've got nothing. This is going to be painful to watch.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44513453

You can tell who the Western spies are at Korean football matches. They have them all the way down to K3 level, standing around awkwardly in their anoraks, not talking to anyone. I can just imagine Shin in the dressing room to Jang Hyun-soo: "I know you're hoping to impress the foreign scouts and land a money-spinning transfer to Europe, but it's not going to happen, so forget about it. Why don't you pretend to be someone else instead? It'll be good for the Han."

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:00 pm

It's a work of genius. Just wait until Sweden leave the Wookie unmarked in the box, mistakingly believing him to be 170cm tall Lee Seung-woo and therefore not much of an ariel threat.

Good predictions so far. Particularly liking the one about Ronaldo already having had his time in the sun. :0)
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:Good predictions so far. Particularly liking the one about Ronaldo already having had his time in the sun. :0)

He can score as many goals as he likes. The prediction is that he isn't going to lead Portugal to the World Cup title, because that would just be greedy.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:17 am

Mexico beats Germany and South Korea loses to Sweden.

Probably the worst possible start to the group stage for Korea.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 am

I thought they did OK. Certainly better than I was expecting and better than Luxembourg. Losing to a VAR penalty is probably the closest you can fairly come to not losing. Credit to Shin for starting all three of his forwards. Picking an attacking line-up and then defending deeply is just the sort of thing I would do. Cho Hyun-woo did well in goal, although it would have been fun to see Kim Seung-gyu at the penalty as I knew Granqvist was going to put it to the right. Hwang Hee-chan didn't quite have the break-out game I was hoping for and looked a bit short of match practice. Well done Ki for comforting Kim Min-woo after the penalty - he's a team player after all. But since when has he not been taking any of the set pieces? He was playing very deep the whole game. Don't tell me he's in there for his tackling ability. It was also fun watching Lee Seung-woo. I think that's the first time I've seen him play for Korea, although while he's playing it does look like someone brought their son along to the match.

Probably Sweden was Korea's best chance of getting a point, but at least the Korean fans were in good voice, and while the results are bad for Korea, they are worse for Germany. If Sweden stop them from scoring in one match like they stopped the Italians from scoring in two then the Germans could be in real trouble. As for Sweden, when was the last time they had a team full of bright young hopefuls? They've been fielding a team on the verge of retirement for as long as I can remember.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 pm

We haven't discussed about Korea's change white shirts at the World Cup yet.

From a distance it can look like someone has been sick down the front.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:31 am

More pukey than salmon pink? Surely not.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:55 am

If you're a defender you can't have arms in the penalty area. According to the rules you're supposed to leave them at the edge of the box. The unnatural position rule is one of the dumbest in football. How are people supposed to jump with their arms by their sides or slide with their arms behind their backs? If you're on the ground you can't put your arms anywhere that isn't unnatural except burying them under the pitch. People made a lot of fun of Simon Poulsen back in 2012, but what else do the rules expect him to do?

Korea are only losing at half-time against Mexico because a cross that was highly unlikely to lead to a goal was converted into a penalty by a stupid rule.

Return to “Korean national team”