World Cup 2018

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

World Cup 2018

Postby eujin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:33 am

It's less than 100 days to go now.

The Korean team are in a tough group F with Germany, Sweden and Mexico. If by some miracle they mange to get out of that group, they might end up facing Brazil in the round of 32. Apparently the Korean team will be basing themselves in Saint Petersburg, although not actually playing there.

Fun fact: none of the world's top five most populous countries managed to qualify for the people's game big show in the world's largest country.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Re: World Cup 2018

Postby Rothesay Saint » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am

Less than 100 Days to go? No wonder people are already panicking about injuries to Neymar, Kane and others.

Hopefully Harry Kane makes a full recovery in time for the tournament, if only so that I can spend the entire month calling England ‘that Harry Kane country’
Bring back King Cha.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:15 pm

eujin wrote:Fun fact: none of the world's top five most populous countries managed to qualify for the people's game big show in the world's largest country.

Isn't Brazil fifth for population? According to this list, only two of the top eight countries (Brazil and Nigeria) qualified.

eujin

Postby eujin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:Isn't Brazil fifth for population? According to this list, only two of the top eight countries (Brazil and Nigeria) qualified.

Brazil is pretty close to being in the top five. I was going by this list on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... population, which puts Pakistan ahead by 2 million based on March 2018 national governmental estimates. I thought March 2018 sounded recent enough and I'm guessing the population is growing faster in Pakistan than in Brazil, although that could be wrong.

Another fun fact is that four defending continental champions failed to qualify. USA in CONCACAF, Chile in CONMEBOL, Cameroon in CAF and New Zealand in the OFC (no OFC team qualified). Only Portugal and somewhere that's not really in Asia made it.

Return to “Korean national team”