2018 World Cup qualification

Discussion about the Taeguk Warriors.
eujin
K-League Classic champion

Re: 2018 World Cup qualification

Postby eujin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 am

paquebot wrote:Gus Hiddink has reportedly stated that he'd be willing to coach South Korea again if that's what the people want.

if that's what the people want to pay for...

Crane
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Crane » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 am

eujin wrote:Why are all the matches in Korea's group kicking off at the same time, but all at different times (up to seven and a half hours difference) in the other group?

Is it just because people in Australia can't play football in the middle of the night? Doesn't this provide an opportunity for all sorts of shenanigans? If Saudia Arabia know that a draw will suffice, or they need to win by 2 goals, then they can adopt their tactics once they've seen the Australia result.

Also, I noticed that UEFA dropped the head-to-head tiebreaker down below overall goal difference. That's a shame as I thought it was a good idea, partly because it gives less opportunity for shenanigans.

I was thinking the same thing as it is a tad unfair to Australia. I asked a Saudi friend, and he didn't really know either. His guess was that the afternoon heat would have been dangerous to play in, although then it begs the question why they didn't just move the other two matches backward. Money speaks I guess.

eujin

Postby eujin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 am

Whisper it very quietly, but Scotland are second in their group with only one match left to go.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:35 pm

eujin wrote:Whisper it very quietly, but Scotland are second in their group with only one match left to go.

Yeah, not sure which route of not qualifying we are going to go down this time. The last minute Slovenian equalizer? Or maybe we'll go to the play offs and inevitably be drawn against Italy or Portugal.
Bring back King Cha.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:14 am

Rothesay Saint wrote:Yeah, not sure which route of not qualifying we are going to go down this time. The last minute Slovenian equalizer? Or maybe we'll go to the play offs and inevitably be drawn against Italy or Portugal.

How about, if we're not British champions, we ain't going. That one takes some beating.

Iceland look set to qualify for the World Cup for the first time ever, as they only need to beat whipping boys Kosovo at home to take top spot in their group. Áfram Ísland!

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Ahh, back in the good old days when Britain was too good for the World Cup. If I remember rightly at least Scotland did play a small part in the 1950 World Cup with the USA goalscorer in the 1-0 win over England being very familiar with the land of haggis and irn bru.

It'll be nice to see Iceland qualifying, gives Scottish fans a team to support (especially if they are in England's group).
Bring back King Cha.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:58 pm

If Iceland do qualify then it'll mean a return to Aberdeen representation (Kari Arnason) in a World Cup finals for the first time since 2002. There was at least one Aberdeen player at each tournament since 1978 but there have been none in 2006, 2010 and 2014... and those tournaments have been rather substandard compared to World Cups gone by. Go figure.

eujin

Postby eujin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:Ahh, back in the good old days when Britain was too good for the World Cup. If I remember rightly at least Scotland did play a small part in the 1950 World Cup with the USA goalscorer in the 1-0 win over England being very familiar with the land of haggis and irn bru.

Are you talking about the guy from Haiti? I knew he wasn't American, but what was his relation to Scotland?

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:19 am

Ah, not the goalscorer I was thinking of, it was the captain on the day.

Can't find the article I (mis)remembered reading but it is this guy here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McIlvenny

I'd never have brought it up if I'd done a little research and found out that he was a soapdodger. No wonder he moved to the USA from the "arse of the bank."
Bring back King Cha.

paquebot
National League champion
National League champion

Postby paquebot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:36 am

Two own-goals in two minutes against Russia; not a good day to be Kim Ju-young.
In Yangju, if your cabbage doesn't understand you and you have valid reason for not eating it, then it is ok to go to other vegetables for your kimchi - though strictly nothing from south of Namyangju. -- Martyrs Forever

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:15 am

A good example of why UEFA should've stuck with the old head-to-head tiebreaker rules in Group A. Sweden knock eight past hapless Luxembourg and now the Netherlands need to beat Sweden in their last match by seven goals to get past them on overall goal difference. Under the old rules a win would've been enough. The Netherlands could win 5-0, demonstrate they're clearly the better side, but it will still be Sweden celebrating like they're going to the World Cup playoffs. I just don't understand why anyone thinks that is a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s68D1VNwOo

eujin

Postby eujin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Rothesay Saint wrote:I'd never have brought it up if I'd done a little research and found out that he was a soapdodger. No wonder he moved to the USA from the "arse of the bank."

Whatever Scotland can do, the USA can do much, much better. It's just a universal law.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

As MipoFanatic had pointed out on social media, all these English-speaking nations are refusing to qualify for the World Cup to avoid drawing Korea and thus scuppering the launch of his long-awaited book...

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 am

HEJA SVERIGE!

Image Image

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 pm