Help me (finally) write my Korean footie book!

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Help me (finally) write my Korean footie book!

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:46 am

Right, I'm finally getting my act together and sitting down to write this bloody book!

For the newbies on this message board, I've been promising for two years now to write a book about my adventures following Busan I'cons (R.I.P.) around the peninsula during the 2003 season.

As I go through my notes I'm going to have plenty of pesky little questions, and this thread is where I'll ask them, and hopefully you lot will help me out with them.

First question: who was the Korean player who transferred from Ulsan to a J.League club in the middle of the 2003 season? He played for the Nats in the 2002 World Cup, and is fairly famous among Koreans.

Was it Choi Yong-soo, who went to JEF United Ichihara Chiba? My notes say that the mystery person played against Busan early in the 2003 season, and was a dirty bastard, with lots of kicks and punches when the ref wasn't looking. The Busan crew had plans for him during the next Busan-Ulsan encounter, but (un)fortunately he transferred to a J.League club before then.

Koreadon
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby Koreadon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:10 am

Wasn't he Choi Song guk, the wee winger with the dodgy dyed blonde hair? (nae Lee Chun Soo, but a similar style!)

Gordon

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:52 am

Just figured it out... Yu Sang Cheol (À¯»óö), who transferred from Ulsan to Yokohama in July 2003 (and has since gone back to Ulsan...just like Yi Cheon-su! Hahah!)

Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Postby Holyjoe » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:24 am

Aye actually I think his last game for Ulsan before leaving was at home to Busan when they won 1-0. Looking at some stats it seems he got booked in that game and in the previous match that year in Busan (where I'cons won 3-2) he got sent off - he actually missed the following five games after that match so it must have been a cracker :)

Hyun Young-min also got sent off for Ulsan in that 3-2 game and Lee Jang-kwan got a red card for Busan... oh and Zoran and Tommy both scored. Fun times at the Asiad.

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:00 pm

Out of interest (or not) Choi Yong-soo was an Anyang player who went to Japan several years ago.
Anyang Fo' Life

GECKO22
Korean football wannabe
Korean football wannabe

Postby GECKO22 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:32 am

And was mince...

njs
National League champion
National League champion

Postby njs » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:15 pm

Korean mince.

Fuck thats disgusting.

Gecko22 did you scare the bugger off?
Anyang Fo' Life

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Re: Help me (finally) write my Korean footie book!

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:07 am

(Cough)

Three years later, and here I am still! :lol:

Anyway, another question: does anyone know which arm of Daewoo owned the old Daewoo/Daewoo Royals/Busan Daewoo Royals (now known as Busan I'Park)?

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:46 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:(Cough)

Three years later, and here I am still! :lol:

Anyway, another question: does anyone know which arm of Daewoo owned the old Daewoo/Daewoo Royals/Busan Daewoo Royals (now known as Busan I'Park)?

When it was the Busan I'cons then it was under the Hyundai Industry Media team. But have no idea when they were at Daewoo.
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:39 pm

Just to confirm: Ian Porterfield was the first British-based manager in the K-League, right?

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:33 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Just to confirm: Ian Porterfield was the first British-based manager in the K-League, right?

Aye.. out of all the foreign managers to have taken charge of a K-League side he's the only one who's either British or coached in Britain. Though I don't know for certain, I think it's safe to say that none of the previous foreign coaches have ever had any assistants with similar-level experience of coaching in the UK.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:11 am

Reading the obituaries of Porterfield from the major daily UK newspapers. The Guardian did fairly in-depth research, avoiding mistakes and false assumptions that most of the others made... and yet they completely omitted Ian's time at Busan! Not only was Busan arguably Ian's most successful spell as a manager (as Holyjoe on here has argued), but it was his second-longest spell as well, only shorter than this time with Sheffield United.

Silly British media! :smt102

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:29 am

Here's another query: does anyone know of any substantial info on Porterfield's time in Oman?

I noticed that his Wikipedia page and most of his obituaries give a brief mention of a stop in Oman as manager of the national team, after serving in Zimbabwe (1996 to 1997) and prior to moving to Trinidad and Tobago (2000 to 2001). But that's it. None of them had anything other to say than that he was briefly in Oman. And after a long Google search, I can't dig up anything else more substantive.

Makes me wonder if someone was just taking the piss on Wikipedia, and the lazy journalists of the daily newspapers fell for it.

I could understand if Porterfield was at Oman for somewhere between six to 18 months, and nothing was written about it in English. Oman is not a fancied footballing country, it falls well outside of the interest of the British media, and they use a language that does not employ Roman letters (all the available news stories about Porterfield's time there may be in Arabic).

Porterfield was known for only being out of work for a month or two between most gigs, given his international journeyman career. Leaving Zimbabwe in 1997 and then signing on as manager for Joe Public F.C. in Trinidad in March 2000, and with nothing in between, would be a whoppingly-long break for a journeyman willing to take up a job virtually anywhere.

On the other hand, something that lends credibility to the "must be bollocks" side of the coin is the list of Oman gaffers on Wikipedia. No mention of Porterfield. But given that it only lists years, and not months, I wonder if Porterfield might have been manager immediately before or after Brazilian Valdeir Vieira. Given that Oman supposedly went through 25 managers in 34 years (1974-2008), including several in the year 2001 alone, I wonder if Porterfield possibly has been accidentally excluded from this list, especially if his stint there was only a handful of months.

No mention of Porterfield as Oman gaffer on RSSSF.com, either.

Hmmm.....
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eujin

Postby eujin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

He made have played a similar role at Oman as Jimmy Hill did at Saudi. As far as I know, Jimmy Hill was never officially the coach of Saudi, but "director of football" or something. That might explain why Porterfield doesn't show up in the list of gaffers (neither does Hill). But I'm no expert.

Holyjoe

Postby Holyjoe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:54 am

The Scotsman's obituary says he took a club post in Oman, but I don't know which club that could be. That would certainly explain why he doesn't feature in the list of national team coaches.

His wanderings then took him to Zimbabwe, to club posts in Oman and Saudi Arabia and to the Caribbean, where, as manager of Trinidad and Tobago, he polished the rough diamond that was Marvin Andrews, today a cult hero with Raith Rovers.

Actually, looking at the RSSSF's list of Oman league clubs, it could well be the case that he took charge of Al-Ittihad there and never managed the Saudi side of the same name, as has been claimed in other articles about his career. I've tried to find out information before on Porterfield's stint at the Saudi Al-Ittihad and had no luck, with even a fan of the club not being able to recall him having managed the side. Then again, they do seem to change managers every couple of weeks there so perhaps that's why.

Looking at the Oman league seasons on RSSSF back then, it's possible he took over during or at the end of the 1997/98 season as the Al-Ittihad club there finished 7th out of 10 having come third the year before. Perhaps the previous manager got the dunt when the team slipped down the league and Ian came to the rescue. They then finished bottom in 1998/99 so that would be about right ;)

Of course that's all pure speculation on my part but it's possible. You'll just need to track down an expert on football in Oman ;)

Oh aye, here's the link to the Scotsman obituary:
http://news.scotsman.com/obituaries/Ian ... 3326413.jp

Return to “K League”