Help me (finally) write my Korean footie book!

Discussion on K League Classic (K1), K League Challenge (K2), FA Cup and other major competitions.
Holyjoe
K-League Classic champion

Re: Help me (finally) write my Korean footie book!

Postby Holyjoe » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:17 pm

You might already have this wee nugget but it's worth repeating... when Ian Porterfield resigned as Busan manager back in April 2006 they had just gone on a run of 21 games without winning, and one of the (myriad!) reasons for him jumping ship was that he didn't want to be the boss who equalled the K-League's worst ever run. Kim Pan-kon, the very chap who has just led Hong Kong to the East Asian Football Championships, took temporary charge of the team and immediately went on a run of four straight wins :)

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Gwangju Sangmu have started up a community football program for kiddies, and have named it "1315".

My first guess was that the name reflected the ages of the players (13- to 15-year-olds), but neither I nor the missus can find anything about player ages on the 1315 webpage.

I wondered if it might have been a homage to some sort of historical Korean event that happened back in 1315, but I can't seem to find anything.

The only thing I can find is that 1,315 was the number of political arrests the Korean government had confirmed in October 1989 that it had made so far that year:

Code: Select all

In the fall of 1988, the National Assembly audited the government and held public hearings into former President Chun's abuses of power. In November, Chun apologized to the nation in a televised address, gave his personal wealth to the nation, and retired into a Buddhist temple. Following the revision of the constitution in 1987, South Koreans enjoyed greater freedoms of expression and assembly and freedom of the press and, in 1988, several hundred political dissidents were released from prison.

Unrest among students, workers, and farmers continued, however, and beginning in April 1989, the government repressed opposition. In October 1989, the government acknowledged making 1,315 political arrests so far that year.

Am I completely off track, or if there some quiet reference to historical political arrests in the name of Gwangju's new community sports venture? :smt100

kingkenny7
Aspiring K4-Leaguer
Aspiring K4-Leaguer

Postby kingkenny7 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:17 pm

MipoFanatic wrote:My first guess was that the name reflected the ages of the players (13- to 15-year-olds), but neither I nor the missus can find anything about player ages on the 1315 webpage.

Am I completely off track, or if there some quiet reference to historical political arrests in the name of Gwangju's new community sports venture? :smt100

Eh, it's just Middle Schoolers one so 13-15 aged students would play. It makes enough sense.. Rather than your conspiracy! (There's no connection btw Gwangju Rev. and 1989's one..
a Seongnam FC Fan living in Down Under.

Rothesay Saint
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby Rothesay Saint » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:20 pm

No fun at all.

I heard that it was the to reflect the average distance in kilometres that Gwangju's first team travel to home games (round trip). Feel free to quote me in the book. :smt117
Bring back King Cha.

Cyclops
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Cyclops » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:05 pm

I thought it was their record attendance.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:31 am

For the newbies on this message board, I've been promising for two years now to write a book about my adventures following Busan I'cons (R.I.P.) around the peninsula during the 2003 season.

Something along the lines of 'A Season with Verona' by Tim Parks, perchance?

Fantastic book.

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:32 am

Yes, I'd say the format will be fairly similar to three books: A Season with Verona, The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, and Pointless: A Season with Britain's Worst Football Team. It will be regularly interspersed with segues to talk about all things Korean.
Last edited by MipoFanatic on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:12 pm

Price of a season ticket for 2010? :smt102 :smt087

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Gerd Bibimbapper wrote:Price of a season ticket for 2010? :smt102 :smt087

1,315 won, I assume you mean. :lol:

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:23 am

1,315 won, I assume you mean.

Absolutely - or isn't this is a Korean footie forum?

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 am

Gerd Bibimbapper wrote:
1,315 won, I assume you mean.

Absolutely - or isn't this is a Korean footie forum?

It is indeed... but I suppose I was thinking that some EPL season tickets might cost around 1,315 quid each these days!

MipoFanatic
K2 promotion contender
K2 promotion contender

Postby MipoFanatic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks to life's little... surprises... I haven't touched my would-be book for 13 months. But, 2011 is looking like it may be the year for completion, for a host of reasons I won't bore you all with.

Coincidentially, a guy who used to live in Daejeon (and seems to have gone to many of their away matches) has today (Jan 1, 2011) written a blog post about Porterfield's British revolution at Busan.

You can follow him on Twitter here. He seems to have been in Japan for a few years as well.

eujin

Postby eujin » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:49 am

MipoFanatic wrote:Coincidentially, a guy who used to live in Daejeon (and seems to have gone to many of their away matches) has today (Jan 1, 2011) written a blog post about Porterfield's British revolution at Busan

I wonder if the start of his "About" section has ever been uttered by anyone ever before;
"Inspired by a 1985 daytrip to Esbjerg, my last act of the 20th century was moving to Daejeon, South Korea,"

Gerd Bibimbapper
National League champion
National League champion

Postby Gerd Bibimbapper » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 am

eujin wrote:
MipoFanatic wrote:Coincidentially, a guy who used to live in Daejeon (and seems to have gone to many of their away matches) has today (Jan 1, 2011) written a blog post about Porterfield's British revolution at Busan

I wonder if the start of his "About" section has ever been uttered by anyone ever before;
"Inspired by a 1985 daytrip to Esbjerg, my last act of the 20th century was moving to Daejeon, South Korea,"

Poetry.
Is there supposed to be some connection between the two cities?

My day trip to Esbjerg was in 1978, but I found it nothing at all like Daejeon.
Bremerhaven in 1979 was a lot more similar though...

sjc_three
Propping up the K2
Propping up the K2

Postby sjc_three » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 pm

[Gasps] The dreaded Bremerhaven - where Captain von Trapp was due to be sent to before he escaped over the mountains into Switzerland with Sister Maria and the children.

Return to “K League”